While our lawyers are skilled at trying cases for clients, we know how much our clients dislike the time, expense and uncertainty of that type of work. At Foster Swift, we pride ourselves on finding creative approaches to exceed our clients' expectations in ways that do not disrupt their lives and businesses.
Clients include individuals to Fortune 500 corporations. All benefit from our:
- Client Support: Foster Swift's No. 1 priority is listening to our client and establishing regular and open communication regarding their matter.
- Breadth of experience and knowledge of the law: With more than 30 attorneys on our litigation team and offices throughout the state, we have extensive experience handling all types of cases as well as familiarity with the courts, judges and lawyers throughout Michigan. Litigation matters do not always end up in the courtroom. Firm attorneys are well versed in taking cases to trial as well as representing our clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings.
- Case evaluation and management: Foster Swift makes efficient use of technology to research law, evaluate cases and manage documents for litigation. These tools along with our attorneys' bank of experience and client's goals assist in the selection of the appropriate strategy for each case.
- Perspective: We look at all sides of the matter - plaintiff, defendant, judge and jury. This 360 degree perspective is facilitated by our lawyers who are former judges, prosecuting attorneys, as well as credentialed arbitrators, mediators and neutrals.
- Resources: Incorporating the specialized knowledge of subject-matter experts is often key to a case. Clients benefit from the extensive professional relationships our litigators have developed with qualified experts throughout the United States and internationally. We often use these experts to evaluate, report, and testify on behalf of our clients.
- Professionalism: Foster Swift’s litigation group is highly regarded by clients, peers and the bench. As one member of the group said, “Integrity is our calling card…as much as our experience, as our abilities and our commitment to the communities we serve. We are known and respected for our integrity to our clients, our adversaries and our system of justice."
Consistent with the above, multiple members of this group are recognized by Best Lawyers in America®, Michigan Super Lawyers and have earned AV® Preeminent™ ratings from Martindale Hubbell.
Our litigation and dispute-resolution clients call on us to represent them in a variety of areas, including:
- Administrative and Agency proceedings — insurance regulatory issues, professional and occupational licensing
- Administrative and Municipal — municipal, zoning and land use litigation, governmental immunity issues, Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Asbestos/Toxic Tort Defense
- Business Disputes
- Construction Law
- Criminal Defense
- Employment Litigation — civil rights, disability (ADA), Whistleblower Protection Act etc.
- First Amendment-Media Law
- Family Law and Domestic Relations — divorce, child custody, adoption and related matters
- Food Hospitality Services
- Government Relations
- Health Care
- Medical and professional malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Probate disputes
- Real Estate
- Transportation law
We are committed to achieving the best results for our clients and approach each case creatively, efficiently, economically and with integrity.
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- New Guidance on Hours-of-Service for Agricultural Commodity Drivers, October 2018 Agricultural Law News, October 23, 2018
- Michigan Lakefront Property Owners – An Overview of Your "Riparian Rights", June 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, June 12, 2018
- The Department of Labor Small Business 401(k) Money Grab, Southfield Chamber of Commerce, July 28, 2017
- Acronyms That Can Cost You Money: A Defense Lawyer's Primer on Employment Law, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, October 31, 2016
- Michigan Supreme Court Reverses Court of Appeals and Holds That Pain and Suffering Damages Are Recoverable In Third-Party No-Fault Cases Arising Out of the Use of a Governmental Motor Vehicle, Foster Swift No-Fault E-News, December 23, 2014
- The Beginning of the End of the Open and Obvious Defense for Retail Stores?, June 4, 2014
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Attorneys, November 16, 2018
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- Southfield Attorney Sworn in at Supreme Court, October 11, 2018
- Scott Mandel Admitted to American College of Trial Lawyers, October 3, 2018
- Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity Elects Schlender as President, October 1, 2018
- Fershtman Earns Highest Honor from State Bar of Michigan, Lansing Regional Chamber, September 25, 2018
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Livestock Liability - Loose Livestock, Cow Out & Trespassing Claims, Agricultural Claims National Conference, March 19, 2019
- The Impact of Immigration Issues on Criminal Defense Practices, Wolverine Bar Association ("WBA") and Institute of Continuing Legal Education ("ICLE"), October 23, 2018
- Zoning and land uses: Regulation of small houses, Airbnb rentals, vacation rentals, backyard chickens and drones, MTA-UP North Summit, July 31, 2018
- Life-cycle of Your Business: Learning How to Avoid the Most Common Business Pitfalls, Greater Farmington Area Chamber of Commerce, May 10, 2018
- Employment and labor laws that can affect the dairy industry, Great Lakes Regional Dairy Conference (GLRDC), February 8, 2018
- How to Discipline and Terminate Employees, June 9, 2015
- Drafting Subpoenas and Expert Testimony, NALS of Lansing Winter Warm Up Seminar, March 6, 2015