While our lawyers are skilled at trying cases for clients, we know how much our clients dislike the time, expense and uncertainty of that type of work. At Foster Swift, we pride ourselves on finding creative approaches to exceed our clients' expectations in ways that do not disrupt their lives and businesses.
Clients include individuals to Fortune 500 corporations. All benefit from our:
- Client Support: Foster Swift's No. 1 priority is listening to our client and establishing regular and open communication regarding their matter.
- Breadth of experience and knowledge of the law: With more than 30 attorneys on our litigation team and offices throughout the state, we have extensive experience handling all types of cases as well as familiarity with the courts, judges and lawyers throughout Michigan. Litigation matters do not always end up in the courtroom. Firm attorneys are well versed in taking cases to trial as well as representing our clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings.
- Case evaluation and management: Foster Swift makes efficient use of technology to research law, evaluate cases and manage documents for litigation. These tools along with our attorneys' bank of experience and client's goals assist in the selection of the appropriate strategy for each case.
- Perspective: We look at all sides of the matter - plaintiff, defendant, judge and jury. This 360 degree perspective is facilitated by our lawyers who are former judges, prosecuting attorneys, as well as credentialed arbitrators, mediators and neutrals.
- Resources: Incorporating the specialized knowledge of subject-matter experts is often key to a case. Clients benefit from the extensive professional relationships our litigators have developed with qualified experts throughout the United States and internationally. We often use these experts to evaluate, report, and testify on behalf of our clients.
- Professionalism: Foster Swift’s litigation group is highly regarded by clients, peers and the bench. As one member of the group said, “Integrity is our calling card…as much as our experience, as our abilities and our commitment to the communities we serve. We are known and respected for our integrity to our clients, our adversaries and our system of justice."
Consistent with the above, multiple members of this group are recognized by Best Lawyers in America®, Michigan Super Lawyers and have earned AV® Preeminent™ ratings from Martindale Hubbell.
Our litigation and dispute-resolution clients call on us to represent them in a variety of areas, including:
- Administrative and Agency proceedings — insurance regulatory issues, professional and occupational licensing
- Administrative and Municipal — municipal, zoning and land use litigation, governmental immunity issues, Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Asbestos/Toxic Tort Defense
- Business Disputes
- Construction Law
- Criminal Defense
- Employment Litigation — civil rights, disability (ADA), Whistleblower Protection Act etc.
- First Amendment-Media Law
- Family Law and Domestic Relations — divorce, child custody, adoption and related matters
- Food Hospitality Services
- Government Relations
- Health Care
- Medical and professional malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Probate disputes
- Real Estate
- Transportation law
We are committed to achieving the best results for our clients and approach each case creatively, efficiently, economically and with integrity.
Recent Blog Posts
- What’s in a Name? Protecting Your Business’s Name from a Look-Alike
- Equine Health Maintenance Programs at the Boarding Stable – What’s Best?
- What’s the Problem with Verbal Contracts?
- Unique Liability Risks Involving Minors
- Contracts Can Save Lives: How Boarding Contracts Can Handle Horse Emergencies
- ABA Publishes Julie Fershtman’s Newest Book on Equine Law
- How to Hire an Equine Lawyer
- Get to Know Your Family Law Advocate: Jackie Dupler
- When is Divorce During the Holidays a Good Idea?
- Should I Hire a Private Investigator for My Divorce Case?
Publications & Alerts
- Bio-Digesters: A New solution for a New Era, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, September 17, 2021
- Autonomous Vehicles: Who Should be Liable for Accidents Involving Them?, State Bar of Michigan - The Journal of Insurance and Indemnity Law, July 25, 2021
- Michigan Agricultural Law Updates, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 13, 2021
- Michigan Updates to Industrial Hemp Growers Act, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News
- Dead Pigs Win in the Michigan Court of Appeals, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 11, 2021
- No Justice for Unclean Hands, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, February 1, 2021
- Women Lawyers Making A Difference: Interview with Julie Fershtman, Katy Goshtasbi Women Lawyers Making a Difference Podcast, September 22, 2021
- Your College-Bound Child and the Law, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, August 11, 2021
- Equine Waivers Signed On Behalf Of Minors, 35th Annual National Conference on Equine Law, April 28, 2021
- Adjusting Loose Livestock Claims and Application of Fence Law, Agricultural Claims Conference, April 20, 2021
- Liability Waivers/Releases – and – Avoiding Disputes with Insurers, United Professional Horsemen’s Association, April 6, 2021
- Risk Management: Insights & Tips on Avoiding Liability from a Lawyer, Cornell Cooperative Extension – Madison County, March 25, 2021
- Unique Equine Liability Risks Involving Minors - What They Are And How To Protect Yourself, American Youth Horse Council (AYHC) Annual Symposium, March 4, 2021
- Foster Swift to Participate in Mansfield Rule Program Focused on Diversity in Leadership, September 14, 2021
- Foster Swift Welcomes Family Law Attorney, August 30, 2021
- Foster Swift Best Lawyers® 2022 "Ones to Watch", August 19, 2021
- 16 Attorneys Selected to 2021 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- Fershtman Awarded Additional Super Lawyers Honors in 2021, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- Thibodeau Receives 3 in 10 Award, Grand Rapids Bar Association, August 10, 2021
- Firm Welcomes New Chief Operating Officer, Grand Rapids Business Journal, July 29, 2021