While our lawyers are skilled at trying cases for clients, we know how much our clients dislike the time, expense and uncertainty of that type of work. At Foster Swift, we pride ourselves on finding creative approaches to exceed our clients' expectations in ways that do not disrupt their lives and businesses.
Clients include individuals to Fortune 500 corporations. All benefit from our:
- Client Support: Foster Swift's No. 1 priority is listening to our client and establishing regular and open communication regarding their matter.
- Breadth of experience and knowledge of the law: With more than 30 attorneys on our litigation team and offices throughout the state, we have extensive experience handling all types of cases as well as familiarity with the courts, judges and lawyers throughout Michigan. Litigation matters do not always end up in the courtroom. Firm attorneys are well versed in taking cases to trial as well as representing our clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings.
- Case evaluation and management: Foster Swift makes efficient use of technology to research law, evaluate cases and manage documents for litigation. These tools along with our attorneys' bank of experience and client's goals assist in the selection of the appropriate strategy for each case.
- Perspective: We look at all sides of the matter - plaintiff, defendant, judge and jury. This 360 degree perspective is facilitated by our lawyers who are former judges, prosecuting attorneys, as well as credentialed arbitrators, mediators and neutrals.
- Resources: Incorporating the specialized knowledge of subject-matter experts is often key to a case. Clients benefit from the extensive professional relationships our litigators have developed with qualified experts throughout the United States and internationally. We often use these experts to evaluate, report, and testify on behalf of our clients.
- Professionalism: Foster Swift’s litigation group is highly regarded by clients, peers and the bench. As one member of the group said, “Integrity is our calling card…as much as our experience, as our abilities and our commitment to the communities we serve. We are known and respected for our integrity to our clients, our adversaries and our system of justice."
Consistent with the above, multiple members of this group are recognized by Best Lawyers in America®, Michigan Super Lawyers and have earned AV® Preeminent™ ratings from Martindale Hubbell.
Our litigation and dispute-resolution clients call on us to represent them in a variety of areas, including:
- Administrative and Agency proceedings — insurance regulatory issues, professional and occupational licensing
- Administrative and Municipal — municipal, zoning and land use litigation, governmental immunity issues, Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Asbestos/Toxic Tort Defense
- Business Disputes
- Construction Law
- Criminal Defense
- Employment Litigation — civil rights, disability (ADA), Whistleblower Protection Act etc.
- First Amendment-Media Law
- Family Law and Domestic Relations — divorce, child custody, adoption and related matters
- Food Hospitality Services
- Government Relations
- Health Care
- Medical and professional malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Probate disputes
- Real Estate
- Transportation law
We are committed to achieving the best results for our clients and approach each case creatively, efficiently, economically and with integrity.
Recent Blog Posts
- What’s in a Name? Protecting Your Business’s Name from a Look-Alike
- ABA Publishes Julie Fershtman’s Newest Book on Equine Law
- How to Hire an Equine Lawyer
- When is Divorce During the Holidays a Good Idea?
- Should I Hire a Private Investigator for My Divorce Case?
- Property Division Explained
- Fault in a No-Fault Divorce State
- Post-Divorce Modifications
- A Survival Guide to Divorce
Publications & Alerts
- MDHHS Director Updates and Expands Emergency Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, October 9, 2020
- MDHHS Revives Face Mask Requirement, Gathering Limits, and Bar Restrictions through Emergency Order, Foster Swift Coronavirus Resource Page and Eblast, October 5, 2020
- Michigan Supreme Court Upends Governor Whitmer's Authority to Issue Executive Orders, Foster Swift Eblast & Coronavirus Resource Page, October 2, 2020
- A Practical Approach to Preserving and Asserting No-Fault Fraud Defenses in the Wake of Haydaw, Fortson and Glasker-Davis, Foster Swift Litigation News Update E-blast, September 2, 2020
- I've Been Served with a Summons and Complaint—Now What?, August 24, 2020
- Is the Fraud Defense in First-Party Litigation a Thing of the Past?, Foster Swift Litigation News Update E-blast, July 16, 2020
- Unique Equine Liability Risks Involving Minors - What They Are And How To Protect Yourself, American Youth Horse Council (AYHC) Annual Symposium, March 4, 2021
- Business Interruption Insurance Coverage, Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE), January 25, 2021
- Equine Insurance Coverage Issues, Kentucky Bar Association (Equine Law Section), November 23, 2020
- Equine Activity Liability Acts and the Courts—What You Need to Know, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Des Moines, IA, September 25, 2019
- Livestock Mortality Insurance—Battleground Areas for Legal Disputes and Options To Avoid Disputes, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Des Moines, IA, September 25, 2019
- Fun on the Farm: Managing the Evolving Risks of Agritainment, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Des Moines, IA, September 24, 2019
- Equine Activity Liability Acts and the Courts—What You Need to Know, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Richmond, VA, June 19, 2019
- Foster Swift Ushers in Three New Associates, December 17, 2020
- Resource Published to Help Organizations Link to Trending Legal Issues, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 17, 2020
- Foster Swift in dbusiness 2021 Top Lawyers, dbusiness, November 12, 2020
- Littleton Recognized as Michigan Bar Foundation Fellow, October 12, 2020
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Civil Lawsuits In The Wake Of COVID-19, Michigan Business Network, September 3, 2020
- Fadly and Littleton Named Michigan Bar Fellows, Michigan Business Network, August 26, 2020