Businesses have a life cycle. Foster Swift business and corporate attorneys help business owners and key executives nurture their business every step of the way. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Corporate attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Corporate Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues.
- CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S BIZ TECH LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Corporate attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016 and 2017.
Recent Blog Posts
- Potential $13.5 Million Uber Fine Highlights the Importance of Risk-Based Breach Response
- Business Rap: Investing in Multi-Family Homes
- How Are Foreign Entrepreneurs Affected by the Delay of the International Entrepreneur Rule?
- HHS Office for Civil Rights Publishes Checklist for HIPAA Covered Entities Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents
- Supreme Court Strikes Down Provision of Lanham Act That Barred Registration of Disparaging Trademarks
- Fiduciary Rule: More Changes Being Considered
- Benefit Plans Established by Church Affiliates Are Exempt From ERISA
- Copyright is “In Fashion” Following Supreme Court’s Decision Upholding Protection for Cheerleading Uniform Design
- If You Think Consequences from a Cyber Data Breach Aren’t Real…Just Ask Target
- Supreme Court Examines Where Proper Venue Lies for Patent Infringement Lawsuit
Publications & Alerts
- What Impact Will Tax Reform Have on You?, December 2017 Foster Swift E-Blast, January 11, 2018
- Management Contracts & Revenue Procedure 2017-13, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, August 9, 2017
- UCC Corner: Do You Have A Contract? (Part 2), Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, August 9, 2017
- Online Sales, Export Opportunities and Due Diligence…Oh My, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, June 12, 2017
- S Corporation Election for Limited Liability Corporations, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, June 12, 2017
- UCC Corner: Do You Have A Contract?, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News
- Foster Swift Welcomes Four Attorneys, November 2, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- Foster Swift Releases Four New Legal Basics Videos, May 19, 2016
- Joel Farrar Named Co-Leader of the Foster Swift Business & Corporate Practice Group, February 24, 2016
- Ryan Lamb to Speak at Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, November 19, 2015
- Nicholas Oertel to Lead Workshop for Global Entrepreneurship Week at MSU, November 18, 2015
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- Business Rap: January 9, 2018, January 9, 2018
- Panel Discussion: Overcoming Hurdles in Every Decade, Woman Lawyers Association of Michigan, April 28, 2017
- State Bar of Michigan Solo & Small Firm Section, State Bar of Michigan Solo & Small Firm Section, April 27, 2017
- Utilizing MSU's International Student Talent to Further Your International Business Ventures, Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, November 19, 2015
- What you Need to Know about Protecting your Business's Intellectual Property, September 15, 2015
- Understanding Your Options for Raising Capital in Michigan, Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs and Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau, August 11, 2015
- Dusting Off Co-Op Bylaws & Thinking Ahead, National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives - National Tax Conference, August 3, 2015