Foster Swift business and tax attorneys help business owners, executives and managers address legal issues at every stage of the business life cycle. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Tax attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Tax Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues.
- CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S BIZ TECH LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Tax attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Recent Blog Posts
- Legal Essentials: Biggest Mistakes when Dealing with Copyrights
- Enforceability and Incorporation of Online Terms and Conditions
- Legal Essentials: An Introduction to Data Privacy, Cybersecurity and Third Party Vendor Management
- GDPR Has Arrived and My Company Isn't Ready. Now What?
- Provisions for Vendor Contracts
- Potential $13.5 Million Uber Fine Highlights the Importance of Risk-Based Breach Response
- Business Rap: Investing in Multi-Family Homes
- How Are Foreign Entrepreneurs Affected by the Delay of the International Entrepreneur Rule?
- HHS Office for Civil Rights Publishes Checklist for HIPAA Covered Entities Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents
- Supreme Court Strikes Down Provision of Lanham Act That Barred Registration of Disparaging Trademarks
Publications & Alerts
- 642(c) Pooled Income Funds: Unique Advantages to new Charitable Compensation Plans-Part One, November 2018 Business & Tax Law News, October 9, 2018
- Detroit Landlords and Enforcement of the City’s Inspection Ordinance, September 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, September 24, 2018
- When Will a Company's Website Create Nexus with a State for Sales Tax Purposes Post-Wayfair?, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), July 24, 2018
- How Meetings can Make you Money, July 2018 Agricultural Law News, July 19, 2018
- Impact of Tariffs on your Business , July 2018 Business & Corporate Law News E-Blast, July 17, 2018
- The Post-Wayfair Future of SALT Controversies: The Due Process Clause, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), July 17, 2018
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Easterly Elected DDBA Vice President, August 17, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- Six Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2019 "Lawyer of the Year", August 15, 2018
- Johnson Selected to “Women in the Law” Class of 2018, Grand Rapids Business Journal, August 2, 2018
- Foster Swift Launches Elder Law Blog, May 23, 2018
- Foster Swift Successful in Achieving Settlement for Client in Patent License Dispute, May 22, 2018
- Case by Case: Examine Real Property and Tax Compliance, MICPA: 2018 Michigan Tax Conference, November 7, 2018
- Tax Issues and Challenges Surrounding Innovative Fundraising, MICPA: 2018 Nonprofit Conference, October 9, 2018
- Legal Essentials to Exporting: Export compliance, International Intellectual Property and Foreign Business Partners, Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), September 19, 2018
- Legal Essentials to Exporting: Export Control Compliance Overview Training, MEDC, May 17, 2018
- Life-cycle of Your Business: Learning How to Avoid the Most Common Business Pitfalls, Greater Farmington Area Chamber of Commerce, May 10, 2018
- Probate Process from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, May 4, 2018
- Professional and Personal Development and Reinvention, Business Rap, January 9, 2018
Click to read more about the new frontier of commerce – Technology.