One of the first firms in the state to develop an Environmental practice, Foster Swift has advised clients and litigated a wide range of federal and state environmental matters. We have advised municipalities on contamination issues and assisted municipal clients in obtaining reimbursement of their environmental response costs.
Serving another need, we have represented clients in matters involving permitting and licensing under the:
- Hazardous Waste Management Act (Part 111);
- Solid Waste Disposal Act (Part 115);
- Michigan Water Resources Act (Part 31);
- Michigan Air Pollution Control Act (Part 55);
- Michigan Inland Lakes and Streams Act (Part 301);
- Michigan Wetlands Act (Part 303);
- Michigan Sand Dune Mining Act (Part 637); and
- Michigan Oil and Gas Act (Part 615).
Foster Swift attorneys have represented a number of clients throughout the state with sites listed under two National Priorities Lists or facilities subject to Part 201, Environmental Remediation, and Part 213, Leaking Underground Storage Tanks of two Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, as amended. We have also assisted municipalities in the redevelopment of Brownfield sites, the creation of redevelopment authorities, and the development of strategies to address response costs. On the federal level, we have advised clients about the Resource Conservation & Recovery Act, Right to Know legislation, the Clean Air Act and Toxic Substance Control Act provisions for PCBs.
We regularly consult with municipalities on sewer service, industrial pretreatment, permitting issues, and wet weather strategy. We have worked with townships to address land use issues that may impact a township's natural resources. For example, we have worked with townships on developing and enforcing mineral extraction, on-site sewer systems, open space, wetland and wind energy regulations.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Natural Resources Law, Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Publications & Alerts
- Agricultural Groups Seek Extension to Commenting Period Regarding Proposed SEC Rule, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 9, 2022
- Bio-Digesters: A New solution for a New Era, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, September 17, 2021
- Michigan Agricultural Law Updates, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 13, 2021
- Dead Pigs Win in the Michigan Court of Appeals, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 11, 2021
- Pollutant Discharges to Groundwater May Fall Within the Clean Water Act, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 10, 2020
- Litigation Watch: The Lake Erie Bill of Rights, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 30, 2019
- Understanding Solar Energy Lease Agreements, Michigan Farm Bureau and MSUE, March 14, 2018
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2022, Best Lawyers in America, November 5, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- 16 Attorneys Selected to 2021 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Ones to Watch", August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020