One of the first firms in the state to develop an Environmental practice, Foster Swift has advised clients and litigated a wide range of federal and state environmental matters. We have advised municipalities on contamination issues and assisted municipal clients in obtaining reimbursement of their environmental response costs.
Serving another need, we have represented clients in matters involving permitting and licensing under the:
- Hazardous Waste Management Act (Part 111);
- Solid Waste Disposal Act (Part 115);
- Michigan Water Resources Act (Part 31);
- Michigan Air Pollution Control Act (Part 55);
- Michigan Inland Lakes and Streams Act (Part 301);
- Michigan Wetlands Act (Part 303);
- Michigan Sand Dune Mining Act (Part 637); and
- Michigan Oil and Gas Act (Part 615).
Foster Swift attorneys have represented a number of clients throughout the state with sites listed under two National Priorities Lists or facilities subject to Part 201, Environmental Remediation, and Part 213, Leaking Underground Storage Tanks of two Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, as amended. We have also assisted municipalities in the redevelopment of Brownfield sites, the creation of redevelopment authorities, and the development of strategies to address response costs. On the federal level, we have advised clients about the Resource Conservation & Recovery Act, Right to Know legislation, the Clean Air Act and Toxic Substance Control Act provisions for PCBs.
We regularly consult with municipalities on sewer service, industrial pretreatment, permitting issues, and wet weather strategy. We have worked with townships to address land use issues that may impact a township's natural resources. For example, we have worked with townships on developing and enforcing mineral extraction, on-site sewer systems, open space, wetland and wind energy regulations.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Natural Resources Law, Environmental Law and Environmental Litigation in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Publications & Alerts
- Downstream Litigation: Henry v. Dow Chemical Co. and Claim Accrual in Toxic Tort Cases, Michigan Environmental Law Journal: Fall 2018 Issue
- Legislature Passes Significant Changes to Environmental Remediation Statute, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, February 16, 2015
- Michigan Court of Appeals holds owner and operator of an underground storage tank liable, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, September 10, 2014
- Wind Turbine Company Fined for Killing Birds, Ingham Country Bar Association Briefs, December 2013
- Updates to Michigan’s Clean Corporate Citizen Program, Foster Swift Environmental Law Update, February 7, 2013
- EPA Issues New Draft Clean Water Act Guidance as its First Step in “Waters of the United States” Rulemaking, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, June 2011
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Foster Swift Successful in Achieving Settlement for Client in Patent License Dispute, May 22, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Moore Receives Golden Gavel Award, May 20, 2015
- Seven Foster Swift Attorneys named "Lawyer of the Year", April 9, 2013
- Understanding Solar Energy Lease Agreements, Michigan Farm Bureau and MSUE, March 14, 2018