Foster Swift has a rich history of protecting the rights of the accused and ensuring fairness in criminal cases. Many of our founding partners earned their reputations in the criminal law arena.
Our criminal defense section represents persons accused of crimes including all types of traffic offenses, municipal ordinance violations, and serious felony charges. We handle cases before both state and federal trial and appellate courts. We also handle administrative hearings before state agencies involving professional licensing matters and driver's license appeals. In many situations, a criminal conviction can be a life-changing event. We utilize independent experts to confront charges. We have helped many individuals navigate the criminal justice process and arrive at just outcomes.
Our expertise extends to the following areas:
- Federal trial
- State trial
- Federal appellate
- State appellate
- Probation violations
- Drivers licensing actions
- University relations, implications of criminal charges/convictions
- Family law implications of criminal charges
- Professional licensing implications of criminal charges
- Expungement of conviction
Sometimes bad things happen to good people. We can help make the best of a bad situation. We have developed extensive resources to assist our clients in getting their lives back on track, while protecting the best interests of our clients. When needed, we can make referrals to other professionals including mental health professionals, substance abuse counselors and court probation staffs to assist and protect our clients.
Our many contacts in law enforcement throughout Michigan give us access to key decision makers in the criminal justice process. We have helped many clients save their careers and preserve their reputations.
Michigan’s driver's license sanctions are among the most severe in the nation. We have assisted many clients facing the loss of driving privileges. In many cases we have preserved our clients' licenses and have obtained restoration of driving privileges that were suspended or revoked.
Foster Swift's criminal defense attorneys have the resources and experience to navigate sophisticated and complicated white collar crime situations in both State and Federal Court. Our attorneys have represented those charged with various crimes in the workplace including fraud and embezzlement. We have a network of expert witnesses to review and assess the evidence. Our attorneys also are experienced with professional license restoration in the wake of white collar crime charges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Criminal Defense: White Collar in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016 and 2017.
Publications & Alerts
- Expungements are Now Possible for Non-Public Criminal Records, April 15, 2016
- Municipal Prosecutions of Drunk Driving Under the New “Super Drunk” Law, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 2010
- Recent Events Regarding the Medical Marijuana Act – A Flurry of Activity Tries to Clarify Foggy Law, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 2010
- "Intent" Not Required for "Sexual Molestation", Foster Swift Insurance E-News, March 30, 2010
- Court of Appeals Rules Breath Test Inadmissible in MIP Case, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 2009
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Foster Swift Hosts Panel Discussion on Criminal Procedure, March 25, 2011