At Foster Swift, we strive to prevent costly litigation. However, we also know sometimes litigation is necessary so we stand ready to defend you – and ensure you are properly represented.
Our Labor & Employment Law attorneys work with employers in discrimination, wrongful discharge and other employment disputes before state and federal courts and administrative agencies as well as in arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution systems. Our breadth of experience and skill in tackling the most complex labor relations issues are a true asset should litigation become a reality.
Our attorneys provide experience in employment litigation disputes under all aspects of employment and labor laws, including:
- The Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act
- Title VII
- The Family Medical Leave Act
- 42 USC 1983
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Michigan's Persons With Disabilities Civil Rights Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
We are also well-versed in representing employers in causes of action for breach of contract (including non-compete covenants), wrongful discharge, whistleblower and retaliation.
Our attorneys have represented litigants in state and federal courts as well as in administrative proceedings before various state and federal agencies and departments. This includes the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the Wage and Hour Division as well as the Unemployment Insurance Agency.
Recent Blog Posts
- The Return of the Unpaid Internship
- Legal Pitfalls and Best Practices During the Hiring Process
- The End is Here…How to End the Employment Relationship
- Smile, You’re On Camera: Best Practices for Workplace Video Surveillance in Michigan
- Conflict at Work: Is it Harassment or is it Bullying?
- Laid-off teacher says school district didn’t follow evaluation process — and court agrees
- UAW Rips Off Employees Twice in Chrysler Fiasco
Publications & Alerts
- DOL Issues New Rule Regarding Minimum Salary Level for White Collar and HCE Overtime Exemptions, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits Law News E-Blast, September 25, 2019
- What is a Good-Faith Job Search Effort? Michigan Legislature Considers New Bill, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, September 17, 2019
- Employee Fraud Not a Condition for an Employer's/Insurer's Recoupment of Overpayment, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, September 16, 2019
- Best Practices Agricultural Businesses Should Follow When Creating or Revising an Employee Handbook, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, July 26, 2019
- Deadline Announced: Employers Must Submit EEO-1 Pay Data by September 30, 2019, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits Law News E-Blast, April 30, 2019
- How Marijuana Laws Affect Workplace Policies for Municipalities in Michigan, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 22, 2019
- 2019 Comprehensive Guide to Employment Law, National Business Institute (NBI, November 13, 2019
- Your Employee is Hurt, but is it FMLA, ADA or Workers Comp?, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, March 7, 2019
- No, that Employee is NOT an Independent Contractor, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, January 31, 2019
- "A Swinging Pendulum or Course Corrections: Recent Cases and Upcoming Changes", 26th Annual Bernard Gottfried Memorial Labor Law Symposium, October 11, 2018
- Why Worry About Unions Under the Trump Administration?, American Society of Employers (ASE), August 9, 2018
- Hiring, Investigating and Discipline/Discharge in the Law, Foster Swift: Developing Labor Law Update, May 9, 2018
- Employment and labor laws that can affect the dairy industry, Great Lakes Regional Dairy Conference (GLRDC), February 8, 2018
- Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in dbusiness 2020 Top Lawyers, November 12, 2019
- Hammond Speaks at NLRB Labor Law Symposium, October 1, 2019
- Dausman Selected to “Women in the Law” Class of 2019, July 18, 2019
- Webinar: What Employers Need to Know about Marijuana in the Workplace, Ingham County Legal News, January 29, 2019
- Hammond to Deliver Webinars on Important Employment Issues, Ingham County Legal News, January 22, 2019
- Foster Swift Elects New Shareholders, Lansing Regional Chamber, January 21, 2019
- Three Foster Swift Attorneys Named to dbusiness 2019 Top Lawyers, November 14, 2018