At Foster Swift, we strive to prevent costly litigation. However, we also know sometimes litigation is necessary so we stand ready to defend you – and ensure you are properly represented.
Our Labor & Employment Law attorneys work with employers in discrimination, wrongful discharge and other employment disputes before state and federal courts and administrative agencies as well as in arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution systems. Our breadth of experience and skill in tackling the most complex labor relations issues are a true asset should litigation become a reality.
Our attorneys provide experience in employment litigation disputes under all aspects of employment and labor laws, including:
- The Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act
- Title VII
- The Family Medical Leave Act
- 42 USC 1983
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Michigan's Persons With Disabilities Civil Rights Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
We are also well-versed in representing employers in causes of action for breach of contract (including non-compete covenants), wrongful discharge, whistleblower and retaliation.
Our attorneys have represented litigants in state and federal courts as well as in administrative proceedings before various state and federal agencies and departments. This includes the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the Wage and Hour Division as well as the Unemployment Insurance Agency.
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- Understanding the Ins and Outs of the “Favored-Work” Doctrine Under Michigan Workers’ Compensation Law, February 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News, January 25, 2018
- Stopping Sexual Harassment in the Workplace, February 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News, January 22, 2018
- Fact or Fiction: Can an Employee be Fired while on FMLA?, October 2017 Employment Labor & Benefits Newsletter, October 25, 2017
- The Department of Labor Small Business 401(k) Money Grab, Southfield Chamber of Commerce, July 28, 2017
- Acronyms That Can Cost You Money: A Defense Lawyer's Primer on Employment Law, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, October 31, 2016
- Employers Get Ready for 2016 by Looking at What Changed in 2015, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, November 19, 2015
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- Richardson Named VP of MDTC, July 28, 2017
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- Attorney Josh Richardson elected Boys & Girls Club of Lansing Chair, January 26, 2015