Each state has a limited number of firms that represent participants in the insurance industry in regulatory and business matters. In Michigan (and throughout the country), Foster Swift has represented insurers in this practice area since the 1930s.
Our insurance industry clients are large and small, domestic and foreign. They include property and casualty insurers (both admitted and surplus line carriers), life insurers, reinsurers, accident and health insurers, HMOs, group self-insurance pools, managing general agents, retail agents and third-party administrators. These clients choose Foster Swift because our attorneys have many years of varied experience in representing these clients both in private practice and as in-house counsel.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Insurance Law in Grand Rapids and Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Advised insurers on corporate governance matters.
- Represented a mutual insurer in a conversion to a stock insurer and the initial public offering for the insurer's holding company.
- Advised a mutual insurer in a conversion to a stock insurer and the formation of an insurance mutual holding company system.
- Represented a mutual insurer in a merger with another mutual insurer.
- Represents insurers on administrative matters before insurance regulators involving business practices, market conduct, financial audit and other matters.
- Assisted insurers with agency relationship matters.
- In a matter in front of the Michigan insurance bureau, successfully represented a crop insurance agency partly owned by a farm cooperative that was facing claims of rebating brought by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, resulting in a finding that no rebating had occurred.
- Represented large insurance group before the Michigan insurance bureau to obtain a quick approval of an ownership restructuring made necessary by its parent's financial issues, preserving the insurers' ratings.
- Represented mutual insurer in merger with mutual holding company and resultant acquisition of the holding company's subsidiary, believed to be the first such acquisition closed.
- Represented management in a successful management buyout of a group of insurers from its parent and controlling creditors.
- Assisted insurers with change of control matters, including Michigan insurance bureau issues.
- Represented both insurers and creditors on various insolvency and receivership matters.
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- Autonomous Vehicles: Who Should be Liable for Accidents Involving Them?, State Bar of Michigan - The Journal of Insurance and Indemnity Law, July 25, 2021
- A Practical Approach to Preserving and Asserting No-Fault Fraud Defenses in the Wake of Haydaw, Fortson and Glasker-Davis, State Bar of Michigan (SBM): The Journal of Insurance and Indemnity Law, September 2, 2020
- What the New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean for Employees Injured in Accidents while Occupying an Employer-Owned Vehicle, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 3, 2020
- Liability Releases for Agritourism Activities – Don’t Fall Prey to Myths, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, March 31, 2020
- COVID-19 Stimulus: A Guide to Business Relief Packages and Tax Relief, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, March 27, 2020
- Animal Law for Insurance Lawyers, American Bar Association: Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, February 4, 2020
- Autonomous Vehicles: Who is Liable?, Insurance Alliance of Michigan, September 20, 2021
- Enforceability of Waivers/Releases in Sporting & Recreational Settings, Insurance Alliance of Michigan, September 20, 2021
- Motorist’s 3rd Party Claim Survives, Despite Fraud Dismissing the 1st Party Claim, Insurance Alliance of Michigan, September 20, 2021
- Business Interruption Insurance Coverage, Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE), January 25, 2021
- Risk Management, Compliance and Agribusinesses, Michigan Agri-Business Association (MABA): Virtual Winter Conference, January 12, 2021
- Ethics and the Insurance Industry, CPCU Society - Western Michigan Chapter, March 17, 2015
- Fadly and Littleton Named Michigan Bar Fellows, Michigan Business Network, August 26, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Lawyer of the Year", August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Gismondi Shares What New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean For Employees, Michigan Business Network, June 9, 2020
- Fershtman Published in ABA-TIPS Law Journal, February 12, 2020
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- Confusion Lingers After Signing of Auto Insurance Bill, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, June 20, 2019