We have a reputation for producing optimal results for our clients with the highest level of integrity and civility.
Family law matters often cross multiple legal disciplines. The Foster Swift family law practice is a cross-disciplinary group of attorneys who work closely with our Business, Estate Planning, Bankruptcy, Tax attorneys and litigators to make sure all legal aspects are considered in the resolution of your matter.
Clients can be assured of the highest level of professionalism, legal strategy and advocacy. As such, we work to open an honest yet compassionate dialogue about the complexities of a case. We will explain the law, recommend different strategies, and give you a realistic idea of what you can expect.
Matters that clients frequently seek our counsel on are:
- Divorce and legal separation
- Family law mediation services
- Post-divorce issues, including judgment enforcement, modification of spousal support, parenting time and child support
- Custody, including legal custody issues such as change of school and medical care
- Change of domicile
- Child support
- Paternity, including establishing paternity, revocation of paternity and establishing custody and parenting time when an Acknowledgement of Parentage has been executed
- Prenuptial agreements
- Family trust agreements
- Cohabitation agreements
- Abuse, including child, spousal and senior citizen
- Personal Protection Orders
- Parent-Child Law, including termination of parental rights and establishing grandparent visitation
- Guardianship, including special needs children
- Legal name change of a minor
- Emancipation of minors
- Appeals of family law cases
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Family Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Recent Blog Posts
- Child Custody and the Anti-vaxxers' Rights of Dissent
- When is Divorce During the Holidays a Good Idea?
- Can't Agree on Sending Children Back to School?—Seek Legal Counsel
- What do I do now that I have to follow COVID-19 related orders?
- Stay at Which Home? Parenting Time in a Pandemic
- Family Law Update on Coronavirus
- Do I have to follow this Parenting Time Order?
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting (a Divorce)
- Should I Hire a Private Investigator for My Divorce Case?
- Property Division Explained
Publications & Alerts
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Planning, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, December 10, 2013
- Child Abuse/Neglect: What To Do When Served with a Subpoena, Foster Swift Health Care Law Report, February 2010
- Divorce Mediation, ICLE Family Law Institute, November 2016
- Easterly Elected to Positions with SBM and DDBA, June 10, 2020
- Online Video Conferencing Allows for Virtual Mediation Amid COVID-19 Crisis, April 14, 2020
- Foster Swift Elects Badalucco and Gismondi as Shareholders, January 13, 2020
- Dilley and Fershtman Awarded Additional Super Lawyers Honors, September 10, 2019
- Family law blog provides a plain English legal perspective, June 25, 2019
- Schlender Provides Perspective on Divorce Cases, April 25, 2019
- Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity Elects Schlender as President, October 1, 2018