Real estate deals often boil down to experience and perseverance. Clients have come to depend on the attorneys of Foster Swift for both of these qualities.
The real estate attorneys of Foster Swift have a broad range of experience successfully handling sophisticated transactions and difficult litigation. Our transactional services include drafting and negotiating purchase agreements, construction contracts, financing and lending documents, as well as resolving title, zoning, utilities, environmental and real estate tax issues.
Our attorneys regularly appear before municipal and state administrative agencies concerning real estate matters. We have been trying cases for over 100 years in state and federal, trial and appellate courts.
Regardless of the type of service, we use a team approach. Matters routinely handled include:
- Land division and subdivision approvals secured under the Michigan Land Division Act
- Construction contract negotiation, including AIA and AGC documents
- PUD and development agreements, and condominium documents
- Environmental due diligence and Brownfield funding agreements
- Industrial exemption certificates
- Rezoning, including conditional rezoning, and easements and restrictive covenants
- Variances, site plan approvals, and special use permits
- Conservation easements and required open space preservation documents
- Troubled real estate, loan sales and purchases
- Representation of developers on projects having significant impact on roads, traffic, flood plains, wetlands, and other protected areas
- Utility and technology agreements
- Construction liens
- Title disputes, title examinations, and title insurance claims
- Appeals of Property Tax and Special Assessments, and State tax cases (MBT, sales and use tax) before the Michigan Tax Tribunal, State courts and the Michigan Department of Treasury
- Defense of builders in occupational licensing actions, building code violations, and workmanship issues, and
- Representation of property owners in detachment, annexation, and Act 425 agreements
- Representation of subdivision and condominium associations in restriction and lien enforcement
Our wide range of services, coupled with a passion for personal attention to our clients’ needs, have earned the Foster Swift real estate group a reputation for practical, results-oriented value to clients.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Real Estate Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- When it Comes to Land Contracts, One is the Loneliest Number, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 27, 2020
- Commercial Real Estate: Dealing with the Ongoing Impact of COVID-19, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, October 5, 2020
- Amendment to Michigan Marketable Record Title Act Requires Land Owners to Take Action to Preserve Certain Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 25, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Moves to Reopen Construction and Real Estate with Updated Stay-At-Home Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 4, 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions in Commercial Real Estate Law, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, February 24, 2020
- Important Agricultural Property Tax Exemptions and Incentives You Should be Taking Advantage of in 2020, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 23, 2020
- Commercial Real Estate Concerns in the new COVID Environment, Foster Swift, September 9, 2020
- Nine Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2021, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 11, 2020
- Resource Published to Help Organizations Link to Trending Legal Issues, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 17, 2020
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- Amanda Martin Joins Foster Swift, Detroit Legal News, September 30, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- Foster Swift Listed in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" 2020, November 1, 2019