From Annexation to Zoning and everything in between, Foster Swift attorneys have the knowledge and experience to effectively and efficiently advise clients in community, administrative and courtroom settings to achieve a successful outcome. Through the years, municipalities and individuals have retained Foster Swift to provide counsel on a wide array of zoning and land use matters, including:
- Drafting and review of master plans, zoning ordinances and amendments, wetlands regulations; growth management measures; land division ordinances; subdivision regulations; and site condominium ordinances.
- Providing counsel regarding compliance with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations applicable to municipalities.
- Overseeing board, planning and ZBA meetings including counsel on Open Meetings and Freedom of Information Act issues.
- Addressing annexation, condemnation and eminent domain matters.
We also work closely with our clients to review specific proposed land developments, especially where the possibility of litigation is more likely. We have extensive experience in the litigation of land use disputes at both the trial and appellate court levels, many of which have been published.
Publications & Alerts
- Court of Appeals Holds Nuisance Claims Must Be Brought within Six Years, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 8, 2021
- Update! Zoning Medical Marijuana Caregivers, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, February 4, 2021
- New Legislation Requires Refund of Excess Proceeds from Tax Foreclosure Sales, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, December 22, 2020
- When it Comes to Land Contracts, One is the Loneliest Number, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 27, 2020
- Amendment to Michigan Marketable Record Title Act Requires Land Owners to Take Action to Preserve Certain Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 25, 2020
- Supreme Court Expands Local Government's Ability to Regulate Zoning of Medical Marijuana Caregivers, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, April 28, 2020
- Understanding Solar Energy Lease Agreements, Michigan Farm Bureau and MSUE, March 14, 2018
- Legal Essentials for Municipal Officials, January 18, 2017
- New Legal Trends in Zoning and Land Use Regulation, Michigan Townships Association Annual Educational Conference & Expo, January 20, 2016
- Annual Update of Michigan Law: Land Use and Zoning, HCC Public Risk Claim, Inc. Annual Seminar, September 18, 2014
- Public Employment and Labor Law – The Basics, Foster Swift Webinar Series for New Municipal Officials
- WEBINAR | Zoning and Land Use: What You Need to Know, Foster Swift Webinar Series for New Municipal Officials, February 12, 2013
- WEBINAR | The Medical Marijuana Act - and the Issues It Presents to Municipalities, May 18, 2011
- Dickinson Receives GRBA 3 in 10 Award, July 21, 2020
- Foster Swift Participates at the 2020 MTA Conference, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, February 16, 2020
- Collins and Smith Named to SBM Ag Law Council, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 4, 2019
- Foster Swift Presents at 2019 MTA Conference, February 8, 2019
- Southfield Office Welcomes Municipal Attorney, December 4, 2018
- Three Foster Swift Attorneys Named to dbusiness 2019 Top Lawyers, November 14, 2018
- Hamameh Elected to SBM Board of Commissioners, July 3, 2018