From Annexation to Zoning and everything in between, Foster Swift attorneys have the knowledge and experience to effectively and efficiently advise clients in community, administrative and courtroom settings to achieve a successful outcome. Through the years, municipalities and individuals have retained Foster Swift to provide counsel on a wide array of zoning and land use matters, including:
- Drafting and review of master plans, zoning ordinances and amendments, wetlands regulations; growth management measures; land division ordinances; subdivision regulations; and site condominium ordinances.
- Providing counsel regarding compliance with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations applicable to municipalities.
- Overseeing board, planning and ZBA meetings including counsel on Open Meetings and Freedom of Information Act issues.
- Addressing annexation, condemnation and eminent domain matters.
We also work closely with our clients to review specific proposed land developments, especially where the possibility of litigation is more likely. We have extensive experience in the litigation of land use disputes at both the trial and appellate court levels, many of which have been published.
Publications & Alerts
- Zoning Cases to Watch, February 2019 Municipal Law News, February 7, 2019
- Farming Land Leases: Get it in Writing, January 2019 Agricultural Law News, January 17, 2019
- Foster Swift Secures Major Victory for Almer and Ellington Townships in Lawsuits Brought by Wind Energy Company, November 2018 Municipal Law News, November 8, 2018
- New Case Law Restricts Local Zoning Control Over Medical Marijuana, November 2018 Municipal Law E-blast, November 1, 2018
- Transferring Property and the Qualified Agricultural Property Exemption, July 2018 Agricultural Law News, July 15, 2018
- Tough Times for Township Assessors: Michigan Supreme Court Relaxes Property Tax Exemption Rules for Charities, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Foster Swift Presents at 2019 MTA Conference, February 8, 2019
- Southfield Office Welcomes Municipal Attorney, December 4, 2018
- Three Foster Swift Attorneys Named to dbusiness 2019 Top Lawyers, November 14, 2018
- Hamameh Elected to SBM Board of Commissioners, July 3, 2018
- FOSTER SWIFT SECURES VICTORY FOR COLOMA CHARTER TOWNSHIP AFTER LONG RUNNING BATTLE OVER GUN RANGE, March 30, 2018
- Law Firm Elects Practice Group Leaders, February 22, 2018
- Five Foster Swift Attorneys Named to dbusiness 2018 Top Lawyers, November 9, 2017
- 2018 MTA Annual Conference, MTA, April 23, 2018
- Understanding Solar Energy Lease Agreements, Michigan Farm Bureau and MSUE, March 14, 2018
- Legal Essentials for Municipal Officials, January 18, 2017
- New Legal Trends in Zoning and Land Use Regulation, Michigan Townships Association Annual Educational Conference & Expo, January 20, 2016
- Annual Update of Michigan Law: Land Use and Zoning, HCC Public Risk Claim, Inc. Annual Seminar, September 18, 2014
- Webinar Series for New Municipal Officials
- WEBINAR | Zoning and Land Use: What You Need to Know, Foster Swift Webinar Series for New Municipal Officials, February 12, 2013