The needs of local government are diverse. These range from A (as in Air quality) to Z (as in Zoning) and include everything from the simplest ordinances to the most complex bond issues.
The key to successfully tackling these issues is to find the right lawyer and firm that will fit a client's needs. The right lawyer is a strong advocate, a source of good information and has the wisdom that comes with experience.
Each attorney in Foster Swift’s Administrative and Municipal Law Group has years of experience helping regulated and unregulated organizations throughout Michigan and the United States. We handle complex regulated and unregulated matters involving administrative and municipal law such as:
- Municipal Law and Litigation - the particular body of law that applies to townships and other municipalities
- Labor Relations - from bargaining to handling grievance proceedings, litigation and more
- Public Finance - experience with complex infrastructure projects throughout the nation
- Library Law - we have extensive experience in the handling of library matters as General Counsel and on a special project basis
- Environmental Issues - navigating the complexities of state and federal statutes and one of the first firms anywhere to litigate an environmental case.
- General Municipal Counsel - wide-ranging advice to and services for municipalities from drafting ordinances to assisting with election issues
- General Administrative Counsel – wide-ranging advice to and services for regulated and unregulated entities, such as telecommunications and energy and utility entities, including handling matters involving the Federal Communications Commission and the Michigan Public Service Commission
- Municipal Utility Law - providing guidance on such issues as sanitary sewers, and storm sewer and water service authorities
- Prosecution Services - efficient, economical and effective prosecution of ordinance violations including the Uniform Traffic Code and violations of the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code
- Commercial litigation - advise and represent municipalities in range of litigation matters; Foster Swift is approved counsel for the Michigan Participating Plan
- Appeals - drafting and arguing appeals in all state and federal courts and administrative agencies, including occupational licensing, state construction matters and MDEQ matters
Moreover, Foster Swift offers seamless access to various subject matter experts elsewhere in the firm whenever a need arises.
Economies of scale
Clients benefit from our wide range of attorneys, knowledgeable on a variety of issues. Moreover, Foster Swift boasts a database of model language, gleaned from several decades of our attorneys working with our clients. So, we are able to provide efficient counsel at any time and on any case. And while, Foster Swift benefits from the size and experience of our attorneys, our focus remains on the quality and efficiency of our service.
Our attorneys are highly regarded by peers, have a history of success in the field, and serve the needs of clients - resulting in many client relationships that span decades. Clients rely on the members of our group for practical, responsive, and informed results.
The reasons clients turn to Foster Swift vary. Whatever the matter, clients value the firm's experience, track record and our easy-to-work with demeanor.
Publications & Alerts
- The Dos and Don’ts of Leasing Property Owned by a Municipality, August 2018 Municipal Law News, August 15, 2018
- As Public Pension Plan Funding Continues to Decline, Employers Explore Other Options, May 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News E-blast, May 30, 2018
- Can Your Community Get Connected to Broadband?, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Going Through the Motions, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Maintaining Attorney-Client Privilege in Public Meetings, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Our Bond Counsel Practice: How We Serve Townships, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Genovich Honored with Property Tax Award, August 29, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- Hamameh Elected to SBM Board of Commissioners, July 3, 2018
- FOSTER SWIFT SECURES VICTORY FOR COLOMA CHARTER TOWNSHIP AFTER LONG RUNNING BATTLE OVER GUN RANGE, March 30, 2018
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- Leading Southwest Michigan Law Firm DeFrancesco, Dienes & Smith, PLLC to Join Foster Swift Collins & Smith, PC
- Business Attorneys release series of Legal Essential Videos for Business Start Ups, June 17, 2015
- Social Networking and Human Resources Hot Topics, Michigan Municipal Treasurers Association, April 27, 2017
- WEBINAR: Social Media Use by School Employees-From Worst Case Scenarios to Best Practices, April 26, 2017
- Medical Marijuana: What’s Legal, What’s Not, and What Can We Do?, March 6, 2017
- Upper Peninsula Municipal Law Seminar, February 15, 2017
- Legal Essentials for Municipal Officials, January 18, 2017
- WEBINAR: Local Government Ethics, Michigan Municipal League, April 27, 2016
- Funding for Public Projects, Michigan Township Association, April 26, 2016