The profitable movement of freight can be summed up simply. It means having the right things in the right places at the right times.
Foster Swift’s transportation industry clients will tell you that it also helps to have lawyers who are actively involved in the transportation industry - lawyers who know them, their businesses and their problems.
These clients include:
- Motor, rail, air, water and passenger carriers
- Logistics providers
- Trade associations
- Private fleet operators
- Shipper interests
Our clients come in all shapes and sizes. They range from small, family-run operations to large, privately-held and publicly-owned and traded North American transportation concerns. Our clients do business in Michigan, the Midwest and from coast to coast.
Transportation businesses benefit from our years of first-hand industry experience, including:
- Precedent-setting litigation, including accident defense
- Freight claim disputes, employment and personnel leasing issues, liability-negligence actions and insurance coverage issues
- Safety audits and complaint proceedings with the United States Department of Transportation, Federal Aeronautics Administration, and Public Service Commission
- Challenges to state and local governmental regulations of interstate commerce
- Actions claiming violations of local and state highway regulations, including truck weight issues
- Regulatory applications for the Federal Highway Administration and Michigan Public Service Commission
- Legislative analysis, assistance and testimony
- Tax-fee disputes against governmental units
The firm’s transportation lawyers were front-and-center in a landmark court case for the industry. They successfully challenged the State of Michigan on behalf of a large group of motor carriers who were required to pay excess registration/plate fees. They represented these motor carriers in courts throughout the state, winning the case against the state, which was affirmed by the court of appeals.
Transportation is an industry where time is money. It makes sense to have a law firm that offers just-in-time solutions, backed by years of practical experience, the latest technology and reasonable prices.
Publications & Alerts
- Top Ten Things to Do When You Are Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 9, 2020
- What the New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean for Employees Injured in Accidents while Occupying an Employer-Owned Vehicle, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 3, 2020
- Recent Updates to Michigan No-Fault Act Changes, Foster Swift Litigation News Update E-blast, June 20, 2019
- Jury: Defendants at fault for crash, not injuries, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, May 30, 2019
- New Guidance on Hours-of-Service for Agricultural Commodity Drivers, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 23, 2018
- What are the Rules of the Road for Farm Vehicles?, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, July 7, 2018
- A Primer on Detention, Demurrage and Drayage Law, Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA) Cargo Seminar, March 21, 2023
- Transforming Law Firms: DE&I Intent Into Real Progress, Michigan Diversity Council Legal Diversity Summit, October 18, 2022
- Motor Vehicle Accidents And Your Business, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Lunch Break, October 12, 2022
- United States Supreme Court Decisions Applying Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act Preemption to Motor Carriers, Association of Transportation Law Professionals (ATLP), June 28, 2022
- Who is Liable When No One is Behind the Wheel?, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, February 9, 2022
- What Brokers, Carriers and Shippers Have to Know About the New Federal Legislation MAP-21, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association National Conference, April 21, 2015
- Rapid Response Teams and On Site Investigations: The Front Line Defense, American Conference Institute, March 25, 2015
- Millenbach Named to 2022 Class of “Leaders in the Law”, October 27, 2022
- Millenbach Appointed Detroit Bar President, June 16, 2022
- Littleton Elected James E. Hunter Association President, February 15, 2022
- Millenbach Appointed DBA Vice President, June 23, 2021
- Littleton Recognized as Michigan Bar Foundation Fellow, October 12, 2020
- Fadly and Littleton Named Michigan Bar Fellows, Michigan Business Network, August 26, 2020
- Millenbach Appointed Detroit Bar Association Secretary/Treasurer, August 18, 2020
INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT?