The profitable movement of freight can be summed up simply. It means having the right things in the right places at the right times.
Foster Swift’s transportation industry clients will tell you that it also helps to have lawyers who are actively involved in the transportation industry - lawyers who know them, their businesses and their problems.
These clients include:
- Motor, rail, air, water and passenger carriers
- Logistics providers
- Trade associations
- Private fleet operators
- Shipper interests
Our clients come in all shapes and sizes. They range from small, family-run operations to large, privately-held and publicly-owned and traded North American transportation concerns. Our clients do business in Michigan, the Midwest and from coast to coast.
Transportation businesses benefit from our years of first-hand industry experience, including:
- Precedent-setting litigation, including accident defense
- Freight claim disputes, employment and personnel leasing issues, liability-negligence actions and insurance coverage issues
- Safety audits and complaint proceedings with the United States Department of Transportation, Federal Aeronautics Administration, and Public Service Commission
- Challenges to state and local governmental regulations of interstate commerce
- Actions claiming violations of local and state highway regulations, including truck weight issues
- Regulatory applications for the Federal Highway Administration and Michigan Public Service Commission
- Legislative analysis, assistance and testimony
- Tax-fee disputes against governmental units
The firm’s transportation lawyers were front-and-center in a landmark court case for the industry. They successfully challenged the State of Michigan on behalf of a large group of motor carriers who were required to pay excess registration/plate fees. They represented these motor carriers in courts throughout the state, winning the case against the state, which was affirmed by the court of appeals.
Transportation is an industry where time is money. It makes sense to have a law firm that offers just-in-time solutions, backed by years of practical experience, the latest technology and reasonable prices.
Publications & Alerts
- Top Ten Things to Do When You Are Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 9, 2020
- What the New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean for Employees Injured in Accidents while Occupying an Employer-Owned Vehicle, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 3, 2020
- Recent Updates to Michigan No-Fault Act Changes, Foster Swift Litigation News Update E-blast, June 20, 2019
- Jury: Defendants at fault for crash, not injuries, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, May 30, 2019
- New Guidance on Hours-of-Service for Agricultural Commodity Drivers, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 23, 2018
- What are the Rules of the Road for Farm Vehicles?, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, July 7, 2018
- What Brokers, Carriers and Shippers Have to Know About the New Federal Legislation MAP-21, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association National Conference, April 21, 2015
- Rapid Response Teams and On Site Investigations: The Front Line Defense, American Conference Institute, March 25, 2015
- Road Laws for Farmers, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 28-29, 2015
- Liability for a Shipment of Food or Pharmaceuticals that Is or May Be Contaminated or Adulterated, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association Annual Conference, April 23, 2013
- Shipper's Duty to Mitigate Its Losses When Goods Are Damaged, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association, April 23, 2012
- Mistakes to Avoid when Doing International Business, Port Lansing 2010 Global Logistics Conference, November 10, 2010
- Living with CSA 2010: Crash Accountability & Section 329 Violations, 2010 Arkansas Trucking Seminar, September 16, 2010
- Littleton Recognized as Michigan Bar Foundation Fellow, October 12, 2020
- Fadly and Littleton Named Michigan Bar Fellows, Michigan Business Network, August 26, 2020
- Millenbach Appointed Detroit Bar Association Secretary/Treasurer, August 18, 2020
- FMCSA Expands and Extends Hours of Service and Other Exemptions in Response to COVID-19, Association of Transportation Law Professionals (ATLP), April 27, 2020
- Confusion Lingers After Signing of Auto Insurance Bill, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, June 20, 2019
- Attorney Russell Appointed as Litigation Practice Group Co-Leader, January 29, 2018
- Liddane Elected Foster Swift Shareholder, Southfield Chamber, January 19, 2018