Anne has been practicing with Foster Swift's Municipal and Public Entity Practice Group since her arrival at the firm. Her entire career has focused on the representation of municipalities and public entities. Anne has extensive experience in drafting and reviewing ordinances and policies, serving as general counsel, counseling clients on Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act issues, and working with communities on millage and Michigan Campaign Finance Issues. Anne also has an expertise in library law.
To promote her belief that the best legal strategy is a proactive strategy, Anne assists communities with policy drafting and adoption. She is also a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences where the educational focus is on municipal law.
In addition to her practice, Anne serves on the firm's Executive Committee as the vice president of the firm's West Michigan offices. The Recruiting Committee is responsible for identifying the firm's need for associate attorneys as well as interviewing and hiring qualified individuals. Prior to these leadership roles, Anne was active on the firm's Diversity Committee. Currently, she also serves as a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Association and serves on the Advocacy Committee for JDRF West Michigan.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, Member
- Drafting intergovernmental agreements and service contracts with other municipal entities.
- Assisting communities with zoning issues such as drafting and amending sign ordinances and assisting townships with special use permit requests for telecommunication towers.
- Drafting millage proposal and educating library boards regarding the application of the Michigan Campaign Finance laws.
- Addressing board governance issues, including the application of the Open Meetings and the FOIA.
- Successfully defend clients in FOIA cases
- Drafting district library agreements and assisting with all aspects of the district library formation process.
- Amending existing district library agreements, including adding participating municipalities to existing districts.
- Assisting libraries with request for information by law enforcement agencies and private entities, including the application of the Library Privacy Act and Patriot Act.
- Five Policies that Every Michigan Library Should Have in Place, November 2018 Municipal Law News, November 7, 2018
- Maintaining Attorney-Client Privilege in Public Meetings, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Ten Critical Issues that Every Michigan Library Trustee Must Know, March 2018 Municipal Law News, March 15, 2018
- Sign Regulation After Reed v Town of Gilbert, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 31, 2016
- New Freedom of Information Act Case: Documents Do Not Have to be Produced by the Time the FOIA Response is Due, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, July 19, 2016
- Behind Closed Doors: What Can a Public Body Discuss in Closed Session?, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, January 26, 2016
News & Events
- Foster Swift Elects Executive Committee Members for 2018, February 13, 2018
- Foster Swift attorneys to speak at Michigan Township Association Annual Conference, January 23, 2017
- That’s Unconstitutional! Fact and Fiction Regarding Townships and the Constitution, 2018 MTA Annual Conference: Michigan Township Association, April 25, 2018
- 2018 MTA Annual Conference, MTA, April 23, 2018
- WEBINAR: ADA Requirements: What Libraries Need to Know, Michigan Cooperative Directors Association, June 13, 2017
- WEBINAR: Parliamentary Procedure: How To Run A Successful Meeting, Michigan Cooperative Directors Association, May 23, 2017
- Panel Discussion: Business Solutions, Michigan Township Association Annual Conference & Expo, April 11, 2017
- The ABCs of the FOIA, MTA: Upper Peninsula Municipal Law Seminar, February 15, 2017
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1996
University of Michigan, B.A., 1993
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals