Anne has been practicing with Foster Swift's Administrative and Municipal Practice Group since her arrival at the firm. She currently serves as the firm President and Chair of the Executive Committee. Her entire career has focused on the representation of municipalities and public entities. Anne has extensive experience in drafting and reviewing ordinances and policies, serving as general counsel, counseling clients on Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act issues, and working with communities on millage and Michigan Campaign Finance Issues. Anne also has an expertise in library law.
To promote her belief that the best legal strategy is a proactive strategy, Anne assists communities with policy drafting and adoption. She is also a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences where the educational focus is on municipal law.
Prior to this leadership role, Anne was the Chairperson of the Recruiting Committee and was active on the firm's Diversity Committee. Currently, she also serves as a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Association and serves on the Advocacy Committee for JDRF West Michigan.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, Member
- Drafting intergovernmental agreements and service contracts with other municipal entities.
- Assisting communities with zoning issues such as drafting and amending sign ordinances and assisting townships with special use permit requests for telecommunication towers.
- Drafting millage proposal and educating library boards regarding the application of the Michigan Campaign Finance laws.
- Addressing board governance issues, including the application of the Open Meetings and the FOIA.
- Successfully defend clients in FOIA cases
- Drafting district library agreements and assisting with all aspects of the district library formation process.
- Amending existing district library agreements, including adding participating municipalities to existing districts.
- Assisting libraries with request for information by law enforcement agencies and private entities, including the application of the Library Privacy Act and Patriot Act.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Election Law Blog
- New Executive Orders Lift Some Restrictions on Libraries in Northern Michigan and the UP, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, June 5, 2020
- Libraries may reopen on June 8, 2020, Foster Swift Library Law News E-blast, June 1, 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions by Public Libraries During COVID-19, Foster Swift Library Law News E-blast, April 28, 2020
- Governor Temporarily Suspends Certain FOIA Deadlines, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, April 6, 2020
- Impact of 2020-21 on Public Libraries in Michigan, Foster Swift Library Law News E-blast, March 23, 2020
- Executive Order 2020-15 Concerning OMA and COVID-19, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, March 19, 2020
News & Events
- Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act: Back to the Basics, Michigan Municipal League: 2018 Convention, September 20, 2018
- That’s Unconstitutional! Fact and Fiction Regarding Townships and the Constitution, 2018 MTA Annual Conference: Michigan Townships Association, April 25, 2018
- WEBINAR: ADA Requirements: What Libraries Need to Know, Michigan Cooperative Directors Association, June 13, 2017
- WEBINAR: Parliamentary Procedure: How To Run A Successful Meeting, Michigan Cooperative Directors Association, May 23, 2017
- FOIA: Common mistakes and how to avoid them, Michigan Townships Association Annual Conference & Expo, April 12, 2017
- The ABCs of the FOIA, MTA: Upper Peninsula Municipal Law Seminar, February 15, 2017
- A sidebar with … Anne Seurynck, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, April 24, 2020
- Hillman Appointed Judge for 55th District Court of Ingham County, April 7, 2020
- Foster Swift Participates at the 2020 MTA Conference, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, February 16, 2020
- Foster Swift Elects Anne Seurynck as President of the Firm, February 13, 2020
- Foster Swift Announces Women in Leadership, Michigan Business Network, June 5, 2019
- Firm Elects Executive Committee Members for 2019, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, March 7, 2019
- Foster Swift Elects Executive Committee Members for 2018, February 13, 2018
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1996
University of Michigan, B.A., 1993
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals