Foster Swift provides comprehensive counsel to telecommunications companies, municipalities and internet service providers on all aspects of telecommunications matters. Those matters include issues related to state and federal regulations, including the Michigan Telecommunications Act, the Federal Telecommunications Act related state and federal rules, state and federal customer proprietary network information laws, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) matters, interconnection agreements and general business matters.
Our representation on telecommunications matters includes handling a variety of issues before the Michigan Public Service Commission, such as comment and contested cases, cost study cases, telecommunications license applications, telecommunications license expansion applications, eligible telecommunications carrier (ETCs) reports and requests, CLEC and ILEC matters, 2-1-1 applications as well as disputes involving telecommunications issues.
Foster Swift also has extensive experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating telecommunications-related leases between public and private entities, including cell tower leases. Our familiarity with cell tower leases renders us well-suited to offer sound advice in handling those issues for a wide variety of clients.
Publications & Alerts
- While 5G Technology Offers Innovation, Public Act 365 Strips Municipal Control, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 25, 2019
- State Senate Bill Threatens to Undermine Existing Municipal Contracts, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, November 12, 2018
- A Checklist for Attorneys Negotiating Telecommunications Equipment Leases on Municipal Property, Michigan Bar Journal, March 2015
- Beware of FCC’s New Rules & Deadlines on Handling Telecommunications Equipment, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, November 24, 2014
- Managing Telecommunications Equipment Requests Just Got More Complex, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, May 2013
- Federal Court Strikes Down Part of Michigan's Cable Franchise Act, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, August 2012
- Thibodeau Receives 3 in 10 Award, Grand Rapids Bar Association, August 10, 2021