Scott Hogan practices in the areas of real estate, municipal and library law, business law, and bankruptcy. Specifically, this includes:
- Real Estate: Handles sales, purchases, leases, condominiums, evictions, easements and all related real estate litigation.
- Municipal and Library Law: Handles all aspects of municipal and library real estate matters, reviews and prepares municipal contracts, acts as bond issuer's counsel in bond issuances and handles many other municipal matters.
- Business Law: Establishes new entities, assists with sales and purchases of companies, contracts, collections and litigation.
- Bankruptcy/Receiverships: Represents trustees, creditors, receiverships and debtors in all aspects of bankruptcy.
Prior to joining Foster Swift, Scott was a shareholder with Tolley VandenBosch Korolewicz & Brengle, P.C., when it joined with Foster Swift. Scott is the current practice leader for the firm's Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy group.
Through the years, Scott's expertise in the bankruptcy and creditor rights area has been recognized by legal leaders and peers. He is listed in Best Lawyer in America as well as Michigan Super Lawyers in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtors rights. Also, he was selected to author the Bankruptcy Chapter in Michigan Basic Practice Handbook published by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Additionally, he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2023 (Bankruptcy and Creditor and Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation-Bankruptcy)
"Top Lawyer", Grand Rapids Magazine, 2022 in Real Estate Law
"Top Lawyer", Grand Rapids Magazine, 2019 and 2020 in Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law
2012 Best Lawyers® Bankruptcy Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Grand Rapids
Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2014 (Bankruptcy: Business)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
Industry & Professional Associations:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Testified in 2017 before the Judiciary Committee of the Michigan House of Representatives regarding a pending bill to adopt the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act.
- Assists libraries in leases, purchases, construction projects, easements and contracts.
- Represented municipality in the acquisition of 300-plus acres of park property.
- Represented a construction company in a roof collapse matter where the case against our client was dismissed.
- Represented the purchaser of six commercial buildings in a total $15 million transaction.
- Assisted municipality with multi-million dollar bond issuance to fund water and sewer improvements.
- Prepared and assisted in numerous installment purchase agreements for municipalities.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Bankruptcy Blog
- The Impact of Michigan’s Uniform Assignment of Rents Act on Tenants’ Rights
- Michigan Updates and Expands its Receivership Act
- Michigan House Considers Bills Proposing Adoption of the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act
Tax Law Blog
- What to Know When Your Customer Files for Bankruptcy, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 17, 2020
- Giving Debtors a Break During COVID-19: How to be Flexible But Still Protect Your Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 28, 2020
- What Buyers Need to Know About Purchasing Property in a Judicial Foreclosure in Michigan, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 13, 2019
- A Transfer Tax Exemption for the Sale of Certain Principal Residences, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, August 20, 2019
- Direct Purchases of Bonds By Banks: A Popular Alternative for Municipalities, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 27, 2019
- Funding Capital Improvement Projects: Financing Options for Michigan Libraries, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, February 12, 2019
News & Events
- Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, Foster Swift, October 14, 2020
- Sheriff's Deeds, Michigan Association of Register of Deeds; Annual Summer Conference, September 17, 2019
- Michigan Judicial Institute’s Business Court Judicial Seminar, May 24, 2018
- USDA Rural Development Bond Projects, Macomb County Treasurer's Association Meeting, May 16, 2017
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named 2023 Best Lawyers in America©, Best Lawyers in America, August 18, 2022
- Foster Swift Selects Hogan as Finance Practice Leader, July 29, 2022
- Grand Rapids Attorneys Listed as 2022 Top Lawyers, November 17, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- Nine Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2020, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 11, 2020
- Hogan Covers Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, October 6, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1988, Order of the Coif
Michigan State University, B.A., 1983, with Honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals