Scott Hogan practices in the areas of real estate, municipal and library law, business law, receiverships, and bankruptcy. Specifically, this includes:
- Real Estate: Handles sales, purchases, leases, condominiums, evictions, easements and all related real estate litigation.
- Municipal and Library Law: Handles all aspects of municipal and library real estate matters, reviews and prepares municipal contracts, acts as bond issuer's counsel in bond issuances and handles many other municipal matters.
- Business Law: Establishes new entities, assists with sales and purchases of companies, contracts, collections and litigation.
- Receivership: Represents receivers in state and federal courts, assists with asset sales, fraud investigations, asset recovery and all other aspects of receiverships.
- Bankruptcy: Represents trustees, creditors, and debtors in all aspects of bankruptcy.
Prior to joining Foster Swift, Scott was a shareholder with Tolley VandenBosch Korolewicz & Brengle, P.C., when it joined with Foster Swift.
Through the years, Scott's expertise in the bankruptcy and creditor rights area has been recognized by legal leaders and peers. He is listed in Best Lawyer in America as well as Michigan Super Lawyers in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtors rights. Also, he was selected to author the Bankruptcy Chapter in Michigan Basic Practice Handbook published by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Additionally, he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Scott is also very involved in the community as a member of the Grand Rapids Bar Association, where he currently serves on the Pro Bono Committee and the Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Michigan. He previously served as the president of the Forest Hills Park Association and a member of the Board of Managers for the Southeast YMCA.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2021 (Bankruptcy and Creditor and Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation-Bankruptcy)
"Top Lawyer", Grand Rapids Magazine, 2019 in Bakruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law
2012 Best Lawyers® Bankruptcy Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Grand Rapids
Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2014 (Bankruptcy: Business)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
Industry & Professional Associations:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Testified in 2017 before the Judiciary Committee of the Michigan House of Representatives regarding a pending bill to adopt the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act
- Assisted receiver in sales of car washes, mobile home parks, and other assets.
- Assisted receiver in a major embezzlement case at a title company. Recovered assets and made almost 100 percent distribution to creditors.
- Represented a construction company in a roof collapse matter where the case against our client was dismissed.
- Represented the purchaser of six commercial buildings in a total $15 million transaction.
- Regularly represents bankruptcy trustees in collection of preferences and fraudulent conveyances.
- Assisted municipality with multi-million dollar bond issuance to fund water and sewer improvements.
- Prepared and assisted in numerous installment purchase agreements for municipalities.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Bankruptcy Blog
- Michigan House Considers Bills Proposing Adoption of the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act
Tax Law Blog
- Giving Debtors a Break During COVID-19: How to be Flexible But Still Protect Your Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 28, 2020
- What Buyers Need to Know About Purchasing Property in a Judicial Foreclosure in Michigan, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 13, 2019
- A Transfer Tax Exemption for the Sale of Certain Principal Residences, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, August 20, 2019
- Direct Purchases of Bonds By Banks: A Popular Alternative for Municipalities, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 27, 2019
- Funding Capital Improvement Projects: Financing Options for Michigan Libraries, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, February 12, 2019
- The Dos and Don’ts of Leasing Property Owned by a Municipality, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, August 15, 2018
News & Events
- Sheriff's Deeds, Michigan Association of Register of Deeds; Annual Summer Conference, September 17, 2019
- Michigan Judicial Institute’s Business Court Judicial Seminar, May 24, 2018
- USDA Rural Development Bond Projects, Macomb County Treasurer's Association Meeting, May 16, 2017
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 5, 2014
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1988, Order of the Coif
Michigan State University, B.A., 1983, with Honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals