In an effort to continue and strengthen our commitment to diversity, Foster Swift has also involved itself with the following initiatives:
- Support of the Davis-Dunnings Bar Association (formerly Lansing Black Lawyers' Association)
- Underwriting the Lansing Black Lawyers' Association Annual Otis M. Smith Scholarship since its inception.
- Corporate involvement in Lansing's newest women's professional organization, Athena WIN.
Foster Swift attorneys and staff are very active in the community. In April 2022, Foster Swift became a recipient of the 2022 Highfields Partnership Award. This award is given annually to an organization that helps Highfields fulfill its mission to strengthen the lives of children and families in their local communities.
What began in 1962 as a residential camp for troubled boys in Ingham County, Highfields Inc since then has taken their organization to new levels. They are now a multi-purpose human services organization which gives about 5,000 people every year the resources they need to turn their lives around. Foster Swift has been connected with Highfields since the beginning when the late Thomas G. McGurrin Jr. sat on the Board of Directors in 1962. Since then, members of the firm have continued to serve, providing countless hours of time and expertise in order to help Highfields be successful.
Sponsorships and Community Support
- Wolverine Bar Association’s Barristers’ Ball – Foster Swift supports a $5000 scholarship. An all-time event high of 1000 people attended with 14 Foster Swift attorneys and 16 guests.
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Annual Programs
- Oakland County Bar Association Straker Bar Association Meeting
- Participated in the Grand Rapids Bar Association Floyd Skinner Summer Associate Program
- Through the State Bar of Michigan, Foster Swift supported Access to Justice at the Circle of Excellence level (second highest level) which helps to provide free and affordable legal services to individuals needing counsel.
- Supported Ingham County Sobriety Court in meeting the needs of its participants. Sobriety courts partner with local treatment agencies and other community resources to provide participants with intensive treatment and holistic services to achieve and maintain sobriety.
- Greater Lansing Food Bank - The firm collected $5000 for its Empty Plate program. In addition to this event, Judy Salminen, the firm's HR Director, discussed Foster Swift’s support for the Greater Lansing Food Bank on a Fox 47 TV segment regarding the mail carrier food collection program.
- Capital Area Downs Syndrome - Supported fundraising events to provide training services
- South East Michigan Services for Older Citizens
- Gazelle Girl Half Marathon, 10k and 5k – Foster Swift has sponsored this event since its inception. The event began in 2013 in celebration of the 40th anniversary of Title IX. The Gazelle Girl races connect women through movement, achievement, celebration, friendship and fun. Funds raised go to Kent County Girls on the Run, YWCA, G.R.O.W. (Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women), D.A. Blodgett St. John’s Home, and Sisters in Support.
- My Team Triumph – myTEAM TRIUMPH is a 501(c)(3) non-profit athletic ride-along program created for children, teens, adults and veterans with disabilities who would normally not be able to experience endurance events such as triathlons or road races. myTEAM TRIUMPH brings the community together with the equipment necessary to allow them to experience the energy of packet pick-up and the thrill of crossing the finish line. They have active teams in other events the firm sponsors, including the Grand Rapids Marathon, Gazelle Girls and Tri del Sol.
- Tri Del Sol Triathlon – This was a new event in 2017. Tri del Sol is owned by myTEAM TRIUMPH.
- Love the City Week – Foster Swift's contribution helped recognize teachers of at-risk kids.
- James B. Hunter Golf Classic – Contributions went toward scholarships and a funding grant to Gaining Ground Educational Services, a free tutoring program. Ray Littleton was named to the Board of Directors in 2017.
- Volunteers of America – serve veterans, at-risk individuals and families. Several Foster Swift attorneys have attended their two big programs: Homeless No More and Veterans Tribute. Charley Janssen and Dave Russell serve on the Board of Trustees.
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters – Foster Swift has a long history of involvement on this board. Patricia Scott currently sits on the board. Previously, Frank Reynolds and Josh Richardson have served. Foster Swift was the title sponsor of "Big Nite," their premier fundraiser. Over 50 percent of the children in the program are from an ethnically diverse family.
- Lansing Boys and Girls Club – Josh Richardson is on the board of directors. Foster Swift made a financial donation. Over 50 percent of children in the program are from an ethnically diverse family. Josh Richardson is President-Elect.
- Lansing Promise Scholarship – Foster Swift is a founding member. The Promise is an award offered to graduates of public and private schools within the Lansing School District (LSD) boundaries. It provides the financial assistance to obtain a two-year degree or its equivalent at an eligible school.
- On January 11, 2017 six members of the Southfield office volunteered at Capuchin Kitchen. To support the work of the Kitchen, the firm collected and delivered $5000.
- Soups On – Grand Rapids – January 30, 2017. Hundreds came to the B.O.B. in downtown Grand Rapids on January 30 and were greeted by the smiling faces of the Foster Swift coat check team of Barb Parkhurst, Tom Dillon, Julie Hamlet, Robert Easterly and Raquel Balderas-Polanco! This year's event raised in excess of $100,000 for the food and pantry program at God's Kitchen!
- The Lansing office supported Homeless Angels. The firm raised $3,000 and was a year sponsor of a motel room which is made available for homeless people
- In December of 2017 Capuchin Soup Kitchen – Numerous household and toiletry items were donated by our Southfield office employees through the Capuchin Soup Kitchen's Giving Tree Project.
- The Lansing office also continued its longtime support of Riddle Elementary School. Through employee collections, the firm provided school supplies to Riddle Elementary in Lansing in September as well as providing Christmas for Riddle Elementary School students in December
Committed to inclusion inside and outside of the office, Foster Swift supports myTEAM TRIUMPH, which provides opportunities for the physically challenged to participate in sports.
Foster Swift sponsors and participates in the Gazelle Girl 5K/10K/Half Marathon, a unique set of races just for women.