Mike Homier focuses his practice in the areas of municipal law, public finance, zoning and land use as well as related litigation. Mike serves as general counsel for municipalities throughout Michigan, and has extensive experience representing counties, cities, villages, townships, libraries and municipal authorities facing a wide array of different legal challenges. In this capacity, he regularly handles high profile and sensitive issues.
Distance is not an obstacle to providing efficient and effective services, as Mike and his colleagues address day-to-day legal needs through the use of the telephone, video-conference, email and the Internet.
Mike has successfully helped municipalities in the planning and regulation of many commercial and residential developments. In addition to his planning and zoning expertise, he has gained significant experience in public finance and has served as issuer's counsel and bond counsel in several sophisticated projects. To keep on the cutting edge of this ever-changing discipline, Mike is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers and is listed in the "Red Book."
Mike is a skilled litigator who has extensive municipal litigation and prosecution experience. For many years, he was assigned as a special prosecutor by the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth prosecuting occupational code violations and currently serves as lead prosecutor for many of the firm's municipal clients. Regardless of the type of litigation, Mike concentrates on obtaining client-driven results working closely with the municipality's administration to obtain the best results at the lowest reasonable cost.
Honors & Recognitions
BV® Distinguished™ Martindale-Hubbell
Former Member of Foster Swift Executive Committee
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
- ACADEMIC POSITION: Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Adjunct Professor of Zoning and Land Use Planning
Industry & Professional Associations:
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- Caledonia Planning Commission, Former Member
- Caledonia Zoning Board of Appeals, Former Member
- Implementing a development and finance plan for improvements to two major roads that resulted in nearly $10 million of public improvements at no cost to the taxpayers, including as the Township's bond counsel for nearly $7 million of special assessment bonds.
- Negotiating and implementing an action plan to avoid substantial fines levied by the MDEQ for violating ground water discharge limitations.
- Negotiating a settlement of zoning litigation on favorable terms that also extended sanitary sewer service to an adjacent subdivision at a substantial reduction in cost to the homeowners.
- Getting involved in litigation arising from the Township's sewer expansion through the County Board of Public Works which had the effect of ending protracted and costly litigation.
- Working with the Fire Chief to achieve a lower interest rate for financing the Township's aerial platform truck saving taxpayer dollars.
- State Senate Bill Threatens to Undermine Existing Municipal Contracts, November 2018 Municipal Law News, November 12, 2018
- Foster Swift Secures Major Victory for Almer and Ellington Townships in Lawsuits Brought by Wind Energy Company, November 2018 Municipal Law News, November 8, 2018
- Can Your Community Get Connected to Broadband?, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- What Else Can We Do for You?, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, April 30, 2015
- Michigan Supreme Court Strikes Down Local Regulation of Medical Marijuana, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 24, 2014
- 2014 Property Tax Assessment, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, February 25, 2014
News & Events
- Alternative Energy Regulation Tips, 2018 MTA Annual Conference: Michigan Townships Association, April 25, 2018
- Drafting and Policing Developments, Developers and Development Agreements, 2018 MTA Annual Conference: Michigan Townships Association, April 24, 2018
- Contracts, Agreements & Handshakes…Oh My! Township Supervisors’ Professional Development Retreat, July 27, 2017
- Panel Discussion: Alternative Energy, Michigan Townships Association Annual Conference & Expo, April 11, 2017
- Why Can't We Get Along?, Michigan Townships Association UP North Summit, June 8, 2016
- Funding for Public Projects, Michigan Townships Association, April 26, 2016
- FOSTER SWIFT SECURES VICTORY FOR COLOMA CHARTER TOWNSHIP AFTER LONG RUNNING BATTLE OVER GUN RANGE, March 30, 2018
- Law Firm Elects Practice Group Leaders, February 22, 2018
- Foster Swift attorneys to speak at Michigan Townships Association Annual Conference, January 23, 2017
- Foster Swift Elects 2014 Executive Committee, February 18, 2014
- Foster Swift Signs Five-Year Action Plan for the Managing Partners Diversity Collaborative, March 22, 2012
- Foster Swift elects 2012 Executive Committee, March 2, 2012
- Foster Swift Signs Managing Partners Diversity Collaborative Agreement, June 2011
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 1999, magna cum laude
University of Arizona, B.A., 1995
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court