One of the challenges facing municipalities is the efficient, economical and effective prosecution of ordinance violations including the Uniform Traffic Code and violations of the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code. Knowledge of the law, proper procedure, and an ability to work closely with police and code enforcement officers is a must.
For many years, Foster Swift attorneys have managed such prosecutions for municipalities. An efficient system of docket control and advance preparation allows us to get the best possible results for clients. Even though Foster Swift has the seasoned trial experience required for this position, we work to save client's time and money by reaching reasonable resolutions whenever possible. Subsequently, it is rare for cases to proceed to trial unless there is a solid issue to justify the time and expense.
Foster Swift attorneys work closely with clients to develop and maintain efficient policies to enforce local ordinances and when circumstances dictate, we may recommend new ordinances or ordinance amendments. For several clients, we have been instrumental in developing and drafting municipal civil infraction ordinances to facilitate cost recovery and to ensure fair and efficient enforcement of the law.
Publications & Alerts
- The Opioid Crisis: Legal Updates on the Nationwide Lawsuit and How it May Affect Your Local Government, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Dispute Between City of Howell and Homeowner Over Grass Cutting Ordinance Ends Up in Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, September 23, 2015
- Update: Local Municipalities Recently Enabled To Prosecute "Super Drunk" Drivers, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 2012
- Proposed Legislation Would Allow Local Municipalities to Prosecute “Super Drunks”, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, November 2011
- Will Medical Marijuana Users be Effectively Barred From Driving?, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, April 2011
- Municipal Prosecutions of Drunk Driving Under the New “Super Drunk” Law, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 2010
- dbusiness Names Four Foster Swift Attorneys Top Lawyers 2014, December 2013