Foster Swift’s tax attorneys deliver timely and efficient solutions for all of our clients' tax needs, including tax planning and litigation. Our team specializes in providing services to a variety of clients, ranging from individuals and small businesses to publicly traded companies and municipalities.
Our tax attorneys achieve cost-effective results by proactively crafting tax planning strategies, appealing and litigating contested issues, and negotiating with tax authorities to resolve disputes when strategically practical. We regularly guide clients through the IRS and Michigan Department of Treasury's informal appeals processes and aggressively defend our clients' interests before the federal courts, the Michigan Tax Tribunal and the Court of Claims.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Tax Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
We also regularly advise our clients on myriad tax issues relevant to their businesses, personal finances and tax exempt organizations, including:
- Federal Taxation
- Michigan Taxation (including the corporate income tax, sales and use taxes as well as employment taxes)
- International Taxation
- Executive Compensation
- Employee Benefits
- State and Federal Audits and Tax Disputes
- Tax Exemptions and Tax Exempt Organizations
- Property Taxation
Areas of expertise:
- Federal, state and international tax and business planning for start-up and growing businesses
- Tax efficient structuring of mergers , acquisitions, and other transactions
- Sales & Use Tax appeals before the Michigan Department of Treasury, Michigan Tax Tribunal and Court of Claims
- Guiding clients through the Michigan Treasury's informal appeals process
- Litigating tax matters before the Michigan Tax Tribunal, Court of Claims, and Michigan Appellate Courts
- Business tax appeals (including the Michigan Business Tax (MBT) and the Single Business Tax (SBT))
Recent Blog Posts
- Are Ransomware Payments Tax Deductible?
- Remedying Past Employee/Independent Contract Misclassification Through IRS’s Voluntary Settlement Program
- File Tax Returns Early: IRS Releases Information on Tax-related Identity Fraud
- Tax Write-Off for Film Producers Renewed
- Kickstarter and Crowdfunding can provide much needed business funds – and a big tax bill
- Are Large High-Tech Companies Shirking Tax Responsibilities? A Recent Study Suggests Just That
- Sales Tax And The Internet Marketplace
- The Taxation of Cloud Computing: Proposed Guidance
- Kickstarter – A Source of Funds and a Big Tax Bill?
- Have you filed your tax return?
Publications & Alerts
- 642(c) Pooled Income Funds: Unique Advantages to new Charitable Compensation Plans-Part One, November 2018 Business & Tax Law News, October 9, 2018
- When Will a Company's Website Create Nexus with a State for Sales Tax Purposes Post-Wayfair?, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), July 24, 2018
- The Post-Wayfair Future of SALT Controversies: The Due Process Clause, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), July 17, 2018
- Just the Beginning: Click-Through Nexus after Wayfair, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), July 10, 2018
- After Wayfair, Is Michigan’s Legislative Nexus Standard the New Bright Line?, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA), July 3, 2018
- States will Collect Sales Tax from Out-of-State Companies Without Physical Presence Under Groundbreaking Supreme Court Decision, September 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, June 26, 2018
- Nows Speaks on Equity Crowdfunding at GCEC Conference, October 10, 2018
- Business Attorneys Release an Additional Five Legal Basics Videos, November 17, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Foster Swift welcomes Attorney John Mashni, June 18, 2013
- Case by Case: Examine Real Property and Tax Compliance, MICPA: 2018 Michigan Tax Conference, November 7, 2018
- The Past and Future of Equity Crowdfunding, Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC) Conference, October 19, 2018
- Tax Issues and Challenges Surrounding Innovative Fundraising, MICPA: 2018 Nonprofit Conference, October 9, 2018
- WEBINAR: Property Tax Exemptions: What Every Assessor Needs to Know Webinar, September 20, 2017