Foster Swift’s tax attorneys deliver timely and efficient solutions for all of our clients' tax needs, including tax planning and litigation. Our team specializes in providing services to a variety of clients, ranging from individuals and small businesses to publicly traded companies and municipalities.
Our tax attorneys achieve cost-effective results by proactively crafting tax planning strategies, appealing and litigating contested issues, and negotiating with tax authorities to resolve disputes when strategically practical. We regularly guide clients through the IRS and Michigan Department of Treasury's informal appeals processes and aggressively defend our clients' interests before the federal courts, the Michigan Tax Tribunal and the Court of Claims.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Tax Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
We also regularly advise our clients on myriad tax issues relevant to their businesses, personal finances and tax exempt organizations, including:
- Federal Taxation
- Michigan Taxation (including the corporate income tax, sales and use taxes as well as employment taxes)
- International Taxation
- Executive Compensation
- Employee Benefits
- State and Federal Audits and Tax Disputes
- Tax Exemptions and Tax Exempt Organizations
- Property Taxation
Areas of expertise:
- Federal, state and international tax and business planning for start-up and growing businesses
- Tax efficient structuring of mergers , acquisitions, and other transactions
- Sales & Use Tax appeals before the Michigan Department of Treasury, Michigan Tax Tribunal and Court of Claims
- Guiding clients through the Michigan Treasury's informal appeals process
- Litigating tax matters before the Michigan Tax Tribunal, Court of Claims, and Michigan Appellate Courts
- Business tax appeals (including the Michigan Business Tax (MBT) and the Single Business Tax (SBT))
Recent Blog Posts
- Are Ransomware Payments Tax Deductible?
- Remedying Past Employee/Independent Contract Misclassification Through IRS’s Voluntary Settlement Program
- File Tax Returns Early: IRS Releases Information on Tax-related Identity Fraud
- Tax Write-Off for Film Producers Renewed
- Kickstarter and Crowdfunding can provide much needed business funds – and a big tax bill
- Are Large High-Tech Companies Shirking Tax Responsibilities? A Recent Study Suggests Just That
- Sales Tax And The Internet Marketplace
- The Taxation of Cloud Computing: Proposed Guidance
- Kickstarter – A Source of Funds and a Big Tax Bill?
- Have you filed your tax return?
Publications & Alerts
- Tax Planning for Farm Losses, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, November 1, 2019
- 2019 Year-End Checklist for Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, September 27, 2019
- A Transfer Tax Exemption for the Sale of Certain Principal Residences, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, August 20, 2019
- 400,000 Reasons to Remain Vigilant About ITAR Compliance, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, March 11, 2019
- Plan Now for a Prosperous 2019, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 20, 2018
- 642(c) Pooled Income Funds: Unique Advantages to new Charitable Compensation Plans-Part One, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, October 9, 2018
- Troubleshooting Multi-State Nexus Issues for the Family Business Post-Wayfair, Foster Swift Collins & Smith, June 6, 2019
- Estate and Succession Planning Essentials for Family Farms: Don’t Procrastinate – Control the Future of Your Farm, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 30, 2019
- The Past and Future of Equity Crowdfunding, Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC) Conference, October 19, 2018
- Tax Issues and Challenges Surrounding Innovative Fundraising, MICPA: 2018 Nonprofit Conference, October 9, 2018
- WEBINAR: Property Tax Exemptions: What Every Assessor Needs to Know Webinar, September 20, 2017
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- Foster Swift Listed in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" 2020, November 1, 2019
- Upcoming Seminars for Businesses New to Exporting, Michigan Business Network, March 14, 2019
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- Nows Speaks on Equity Crowdfunding at GCEC Conference, October 10, 2018
- Business Attorneys Release an Additional Five Legal Basics Videos, November 17, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015