The Foster Swift International Law Group represents both US and foreign companies. Foster Swift attorneys have assisted our foreign and U.S. clients with joint ventures, acquisitions, export control and import issues, manufacturing agreements, sales and supply agreements, distributor relationships, organizing foreign subsidiaries, establishing a presence in the U.S., manufacturing and licensing agreements, and registration of U.S. and foreign trademarks, names, logos, copyrights and patents.
Foster Swift attorneys also handle immigration matters, international estate planning, and real estate acquisition for our foreign and domestic clients. Our attorneys are committed to helping companies pursue exporting opportunities. Foster Swift has a "Legal Essentials to Export Toolkit" program that is offered through the Michigan Economic Department Corporation (MEDC) Michigan State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) program. This program offers information about international intellectual property protection, Foreign Business contracts and export control compliance.
In 2020, the Foster Swift law firm was recognized for their efforts in the expansion of national exporting by the U.S. Department of Commerce and was awarded the prestigious President's "E" Award, one of only 39 businesses in the country to receive the honor in 2020. Foster Swift was awarded the "E" Award for Export Service category for assisting and facilitating export activities over a four-year period.
Foster Swift is an active sponsor of the Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan's International Business Luncheon Lecture series and workshops. Presentations from past programs are listed below. Presentation materials can be easily accessed by clicking on the title. Additionally, Foster Swift is a regular supporter of other educational programming offered by the District Export Council of East and West Michigan, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, and the National Association of Small Business International Trade Educators.
When one of our clients has a problem or opportunity outside of Michigan——in the United States or internationally——our firm needs a deep bench to which it can turn. Foster Swift’s membership in Lexwork International provides this breadth and depth. Lexwork International is an association of midsized independent law firms in major cities located throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia.
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States: A Brief Review of the Recent Changes to CFIUS, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 30, 2020
- Golden Rules for Selecting Foreign Distributors and Agents, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, June 30, 2020
- Congratulations! You're our “Plan B” – Alternate Supplier Checklist, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, June 29, 2020
- International Trade and COVID-19, March 16, 2020
- The "America" Brand: A "Decliner" and "Country to Watch" on the Corruption Index and What that Means for Your Business, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, August 13, 2019
- 400,000 Reasons to Remain Vigilant About ITAR Compliance, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, March 11, 2019
- Defense Exporting, Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), February 4, 2021
- How to Mitigate International Contract Problems During and After the Global Crisis, U.S. Commercial Service-Michigan & the State Bar of Michigan (SBM), International Law Section, June 12, 2020
- Surviving Trade Wars, Michigan State University Eli Broad College of Business; Supply Chain Management, October 29, 2019
- Foreign Business Partner Due Diligence and Contracts, Exportech, October 11, 2019 (Saginaw, MI) and October 14, 2019 (Marquette, MI)
- International Intellectual Property Protection Strategies, Exportech, October 11, 2019 (Saginaw, MI) and October 14, 2019 (Marquette, MI)
- US Embargoes, Sanctions and Export Controls, Exportech, October 11, 2019 (Saginaw, MI) and October 14, 2019 (Marquette, MI)
- Making the Most of International Trade Shows & Missions, Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, January 29, 2019
- Two Michigan Businesses Honored with Prestigious President’s “E” Awards, mConnexions, November 18, 2020
- Foster Swift Receives the President’s “E” Award for Exports, U.S. Department of Commerce, October 28, 2020
- Schtokal quoted in MiMfg Magazine, MiMfg Magazine (Michigan Manufacturers Association), August 31, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Upcoming Seminars for Businesses New to Exporting, Michigan Business Network, March 14, 2019
- Training Programs: Growing your Business Globally, February 4, 2019
- Ryan Lamb to Speak at Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, November 19, 2015
These videos are were created through a partnership with Foster Swift and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC).