Foster Swift's technology group is comprised of a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys. The group is experienced in a wide range of technical areas and includes an attorney licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Our clients are diverse and include both large and small tech companies and many non-tech companies that encounter issues related to technology, privacy and protecting intellectual property and proprietary data.
Areas of Expertise
Transactions and Agreements. We regularly negotiate and draft agreements, on both the vendor and user side, for technology services and products, including the following:
- Software licenses, development contracts, implementation and maintenance agreements;
- Source code development agreements;
- Master service agreements;
- Hardware acquisition, installation, and maintenance agreements;
- WiFi, Electronic Network, and website development and hosting agreements;
- Technology outsourcing agreements;
- Network, Internet and email use policies;
- Data transfer and Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) agreements.
Electronic Privacy Matters. We are experienced with various electronic privacy matters, such as:
- The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA);
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA);
- Identity Theft Protection Act;
- The Child Online Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA); and
- Developing workplace policies for email, instant messaging and computer use.
Copyright. Copyright and other intellectual property issues often accompany technology matters. Whether it is an issue related to "Work Made for Hire" or crafting an enforceable Intellectual Property assignment, we have the experience to meet our clients' needs.
Recent Blog Posts
- How are Businesses Preparing for Proposed Federal Data Privacy Legislation? Part One: Understanding Current Proposals
- Why Public WiFi is a Health Hazard
- Legal Essentials: Shifting Focus to Data Protection, Cybersecurity and Vendor Management
- GDPR Has Arrived and My Company Isn't Ready. Now What?
- Equifax or EquiFaux Pas: Updates on the Equifax Breach
- Border Searches May Compromise the Privacy and Security of Company Technology
- Assembling Your Company's Data Breach Response Plan
- Update: Lansing Cyberattack Underscores Need for Cyber Insurance Coverage
- Lawsuits Encouraged by Sixth Circuit Decision Where Customer and Employee Sensitive Data Breached
- Cyberattack Highlights the Costs of Breach Response and the Need for Preparation
Publications & Alerts
- Drone Registration Requirement: Here’s What You Need to Know, October 2018 Agricultural Law News, October 22, 2018
- Farm Drones – Steer Clear From Michigan’s 230 Airports, January 2018 Agricultural Law News, January 24, 2018
- Business Lessons Learned from the Equifax Breach: Week Two, Business & Corporate September 2017 E-Blast, September 25, 2017
- It's Not 'If', It's 'When', Greater Lansing Business Monthly, August 8, 2017
- Sixth Circuit Decision Encourages Lawsuits by Customers and Employees Affected by Data Breaches, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, October 31, 2016
- Net Neutrality Rules take Effect, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, March 27, 2015
- Foster Swift Elects New Shareholders, Lansing Regional Chamber, January 21, 2019
- Mark Koerner Joins Foster Swift, August 1, 2018
- Richardson Named VP of MDTC, July 28, 2017
- Attorney Josh Richardson elected Boys & Girls Club of Lansing Chair, January 26, 2015
- Webinar addresses legal issues in software transaction, September 30, 2013
- Iris Linder Weighs in on Crowdfunding, "Join the crowd - with caution" - Michigan Lawyers Weekly, April 30, 2012
- You've Been Breached! An Interactive Incident Response Simulation, Presented by SIKICH, March 19, 2019
- UAVs (Drones) — What's Legal?, Michigan Agri-Business Association Winter Conference, January 13, 2015
- Webinar: Top 5 Legal Issues To Address in Every Software Transaction, October 16, 2013
- WEBINAR | Protecting Against the Unknown: How to Successfully Review IT Contracts to Increase Your Rights and Avoid Potential Liability, June 22, 2010