Foster Swift's technology group is comprised of a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys. The group is experienced in a wide range of technical areas and includes an attorney licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Our clients are diverse and include both large and small tech companies and many non-tech companies that encounter issues related to technology, privacy and protecting intellectual property and proprietary data.
Areas of Expertise
Transactions and Agreements. We regularly negotiate and draft agreements, on both the vendor and user side, for technology services and products, including the following:
- Software licenses, development contracts, implementation and maintenance agreements;
- Source code development agreements;
- Master service agreements;
- Hardware acquisition, installation, and maintenance agreements;
- WiFi, Electronic Network, and website development and hosting agreements;
- Technology outsourcing agreements;
- Network, Internet and email use policies;
- Data transfer and Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) agreements.
Electronic Privacy Matters. We are experienced with various electronic privacy matters, such as:
- The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA);
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA);
- Identity Theft Protection Act;
- The Child Online Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA); and
- Developing workplace policies for email, instant messaging and computer use.
Copyright. Copyright and other intellectual property issues often accompany technology matters. Whether it is an issue related to "Work Made for Hire" or crafting an enforceable Intellectual Property assignment, we have the experience to meet our clients' needs.
Recent Blog Posts
- Virtual Panel: TikTok, WeChat & More: Talking Tech and IP in The U.S. & China
- Children's Online Privacy Protection Act: Are You Compliant?
- Updates on Federal and State Privacy Legislation and the FTC’s Authority
- How are Businesses Preparing for Proposed Federal Data Privacy Legislation? Part One: Understanding Current Proposals
- Why Public WiFi is a Health Hazard
- Legal Essentials: Shifting Focus to Data Protection, Cybersecurity and Vendor Management
- GDPR Has Arrived and My Company Isn't Ready. Now What?
- Equifax or EquiFaux Pas: Updates on the Equifax Breach
- Border Searches May Compromise the Privacy and Security of Company Technology
- Assembling Your Company's Data Breach Response Plan
Publications & Alerts
- The Pandemic Makes the Case for 5G Expansion, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 4, 2021
- Is your Municipal Website ADA Compliant?, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, November 12, 2019
- 2019 Year-End Checklist for Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, September 27, 2019
- Drone Registration Requirement: Here’s What You Need to Know, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 22, 2018
- Farm Drones – Steer Clear From Michigan’s 230 Airports, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 24, 2018
- Business Lessons Learned from the Equifax Breach: Week Two, Business & Corporate E-Blast, September 25, 2017
- Avoid the Virtual Traps of the Rapidly Changing Tech Law Landscape, MICPA Learning Showcase, June 15, 2021
- You've Been Breached! An Interactive Incident Response Simulation, Presented by SIKICH, March 19, 2019
- UAVs (Drones) — What's Legal?, Michigan Agri-Business Association Winter Conference, January 13, 2015
- Webinar: Top 5 Legal Issues To Address in Every Software Transaction, October 16, 2013
- WEBINAR | Protecting Against the Unknown: How to Successfully Review IT Contracts to Increase Your Rights and Avoid Potential Liability, June 22, 2010
- Attorney Joins 2021 Dapper Dads for Good Cause, July 15, 2021
- Mashni Named SBM ACES Chair, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, February 4, 2020
- Municipal Attorney Joins Dapper Dads, April 24, 2019
- Foster Swift Elects New Shareholders, Lansing Regional Chamber, January 21, 2019
- Mark Koerner Joins Foster Swift, August 1, 2018
- Richardson Named VP of MDTC, July 28, 2017
- Attorney Josh Richardson elected Boys & Girls Club of Lansing Chair, January 26, 2015