Mindi Johnson helps clients navigate challenges and solve problems in the areas of employee benefits law and health care law with a business-minded approach, and a service-oriented delivery.
Some of the most important and complicated questions and challenges employers face in today's highly regulated environment relate to employee benefit plans. From determining the impact of the Health Care Reform law on current health and welfare plans, to ensuring ERISA compliance for retirement plans, it's critical employers understand the issues in order to mitigate risks and to attract and retain talented workers.
Specifically, the types of matters Mindi handles include:
Employee Benefits Law
- Advising taxable and tax-exempt non-governmental employers and governmental employers regarding federal and state deferred compensation and welfare benefits law, including matters related to fiduciary standards and ERISA compliance.
- Implementing strategic changes to qualified retirement plans (such as 401(k) Plans and ESOPs) and welfare benefits plans (such as group health plans, Cafeteria Plans and Group Benefit Plans).
- Responding to the IRS and DOL when issues arise related to plan corrections and prohibited transactions.
- Providing legal compliance reviews and audits of corporate benefit packages.
- Assisting with benefit plan administration, including preparation of QDROs, distribution materials and nondiscrimination testing.
Health Care Reform (PPACA)
- Developing strategic plans for implementing benefit packages that comply with PPACA mandates (and employers' budgets).
- Providing guidance on administrative challenges, including reporting requirements, determination of measurement and stability periods and transitional issues.
- Navigating challenges posed by both the Employer Mandate and Individual Mandate.
- Assisting with PPACA compliance reviews and audit preparation.
Health Care Law
- Advising health care providers on various legal issues, including fraud & abuse, regulatory, licensing, compliance, billing, Medicare/Medicaid and HIPAA.
- Assisting with health care facility mergers and acquisitions.
Mindi has spoken and written extensively on employee benefits, health care reform and health care law topics. She is actively involved in a number of legal, professional and industry organizations focused on these issues. Additionally, she leads the firm's Employee Benefits Group.
Outside of work, Mindi enjoys spending time with her family.
Honors & Recognitions
Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce ATHENA Young Professional Award Nominee, 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Care Law Section
- Taxation Section
- Substantive Law Committee Member
- Provider's Subcommittee
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Fraud & Abuse
- Long Term Care, Senior Housing, In-Home Care and Rehabilitation practice groups
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- Taxation Section
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Member of MBA @ Calvin Leadership Team, Co-Chair
- Michigan Jaycees, Past Legal Counsel
- Business Network International (BNI), Advantage Chapter, Past President
- Calvin College Alumni Association
- ESOP Association
- National Center of Employee Ownership (NCEO)
- Girls on the Run, Board of Directors
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog
- Obamacare Repeal and Replacement Plan- What does it mean for Employers?
- OCR Begins Phase 2 Audit Program of Covered Entities and Business Associates
- Affordable Care Act Reporting Deadlines Extended
- Government Intervenes in Affordable Care Act 60 day Rule Violation Allegation
- The US Supreme Court's Ruling on the Affordable Care Act will not Change Employers' Responsibilities
- The IRS Provides Temporary Relief for Certain Health Reimbursement Arrangements
- Reimbursing Individual Health Insurance Policy Premiums May Result in Significant Penalties for Employers
- U.S. Supreme Court will hear ACA subsidies case
- PPACA's Employer Mandate Draws Near…Non-Calendar Plans Beware!
Tax Law Blog
- Qualified Plan Overpayments: Not all Hope is Lost, Michigan Tax Lawyer, Winter Edition, March 14, 2017
- Nationwide Right to Same-Sex Marriage: Employee Benefit Implications, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, June 30, 2015
- What Else Can We Do for You?, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, March 30, 2015
- Employers Beware: Significant Penalties May Be Assessed for Reimbursement of Individual Health Insurance Policy Premiums, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, December 18, 2014
- Is Your Employer-Sponsored Medical Reimbursement Plan Compliant?, Foster Swift Health Care Reform Update, March 14, 2014
- Retirement Plans Must Recognize Same-Sex Spouses for Federal Tax Purposes, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits E-News, December 12, 2013
News & Events
- Foster Swift Attorney Re-Elected as Council Member with the SBM's Taxation Section, Grand Rapids Bar Association, October 12, 2017
- Foster Swift Elects Four New Shareholders, January 25, 2016
- Attorney Mindi Johnson to Lead Foster Swift Employee Benefits Practice, January 20, 2015
- Emerging Trend: A Defined Contribution Approach to Health Care Coverage, Lansing Economic Club, October 27, 2016
- ESOP Administration Q+A- Get Your Questions Answered, Great Lakes Regional ESOP Conference, October 20, 2016
- ERISA Fiduciary Duties and Retirement Plan, July 21, 2016
- Legal Issues for the Medical Professional, Health Care Financial Management Association's Western Michigan Chapter, September 16, 2015
- Legal Consideration for the Treatment of Minors, Kent County Dental Society, March 11, 2015
- Employee Benefits Basics from 401(k) to PPACA", Michigan Nursery & Landscape Association Great Lakes Trade Expo, January 26, 2015
St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2004 cum laude
Calvin College, B.A., Communication, 2001
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan