Foster Swift business and tax attorneys help business owners, executives and managers address legal issues at every stage of the business life cycle. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Tax attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Tax Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues.
- CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S BIZ TECH LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Tax attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Recent Blog Posts
- Key Considerations on How to Sell Your Business
- Michigan Launches “Afflicted Business” Grant Program
- Inspiration Arises From Disaster: A Film Project Over a Decade in the Making
- IRS Announces 2022 Cost-of-Living Adjustments for Retirement Plans and for Health and Welfare Benefit Plans
- Cybersecurity Impact on Small Businesses in Wake of Colonial Pipeline
- IRS Makes it Easier to Correct Certain Retirement Plan Compliance Issues
- Department of Labor Releases Employee Benefits and Cybersecurity Best Practices
- A Brief Legal Guide to Buying a Distressed Business
- Do I Need a Private Placement Memorandum to Raise Investment Capital?
- Women Owned Small Business Certification Program - Part Two: Certification and Benefits
Publications & Alerts
- Succession Planning for Business Owners: More Important than Ever, Yahoo! Finance, December 30, 2021
- Should You Keep a Corporate Minute Book?, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, December 3, 2021
- Time to Review Gift-Giving and Receiving Policies Before the Holidays, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, October 25, 2021
- 2021 Year-End Checklist for Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, October 24, 2021
- Budget Reconciliation – A Congressional Time Machine?, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, September 16, 2021
- Employer Update: New OSHA Guidance and MIOSHA Recommendations to Protect Workers, Foster Swift Labor & Employment Law News E-blast, August 30, 2021
- Learn Executive Compensation Options & Negotiation, Foster Swift Legal Strategies for Women Leaders, June 7, 2022
- Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) Certification: Process, Requirements and Benefits, Foster Swift Legal Strategies for Women Leaders, April 19, 2022
- Learn Key Considerations for Selling a Business, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, April 13, 2022
- Estate Planning Essentials for Agriculture, Farm Bureau, February 18, 2022
- Large Farms and Multiple Operations—How do we structure our growing business?, Farm Bureau, February 18, 2022
- Moving Forward: Succession Planning for Your Business, Michigan Movers Association, February 16, 2022
- Five Things to Know Before Launching a Business in 2022, mConnexions: Expert Connexions, December 20, 2021
- Van Regenmorter Listed in MiLW 'Go To' Business Lawyers, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, April 28, 2022
- New Virtual Program Addresses Legal Strategies for Women Business Leaders, Michigan Business Network, March 28, 2022
- Foster Swift Elects EC Members for 2022, February 21, 2022
- Foster Swift Elects Four Shareholders, January 10, 2022
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2022, Best Lawyers in America, November 5, 2021
- Foster Swift to Participate in Mansfield Rule Program Focused on Diversity in Leadership, September 14, 2021
- New Rising Star Listing in Super Lawyers 2021, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021