Foster Swift business and tax attorneys help business owners, executives and managers address legal issues at every stage of the business life cycle. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Tax attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Tax Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues.
- CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S BIZ TECH LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Tax attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Recent Blog Posts
- 2021 Arrives with Additional Flexibility for Flexible Spending Accounts
- Maryland’s Digital Ad Tax: The Next Frontier in State and Local Taxation
- Women Owned Small Business Certification Program - Part One: Requirements
- I Want Out: Dealing with Contracts in the Time of Corornavirus
- Minimizing Cybersecurity Risks for Remote Workers
- The Impact of PPP Loans on Mergers & Acquisitions
- Recent Questions Regarding PPP Forgiveness Applications
- New Safe Harbor Announced for Electronic Disclosures Required by ERISA
- Cyber Insurance: Is it right for you?
- Are Boards of Directors Responsible for Cybersecurity?
Publications & Alerts
- MDHHS Extends Emergency Order Prohibiting In-Person Public Meetings & Requiring Work from Home, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, January 13, 2021
- COVID-19 Stimulus: PPP 2.0 and Other Relief for Small Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, December 29, 2020
- 2020 Year End Tax Planning Tips, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, December 10, 2020
- How to Think About Succession Planning, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, December 9, 2020
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States: A Brief Review of the Recent Changes to CFIUS, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 30, 2020
- IRS Announces 2021 Cost-of-Living Adjustments for Retirement Plans and for Health and Welfare Benefit Plans, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, October 27, 2020
- Defense Exporting, Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), February 4, 2021
- Round 2: Recent Changes to the Payroll Protection Program, Foster Swift, January 26, 2021
- Business Interruption Insurance Coverage, Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE), January 25, 2021
- Risk Management, Compliance and Agribusinesses, Michigan Agri-Business Association (MABA): Virtual Winter Conference, January 12, 2021
- The PPP Loan Forgiveness Form is Out: Next Steps to Ensure Forgiveness for your PPP Loan, Foster Swift, May 21, 2020
- Webinar: Planning to Ensure Full Forgiveness for Your PPP Loan, Foster Swift Collins & Smith, PC, May 7, 2020
- Troubleshooting Multi-State Nexus Issues for the Family Business Post-Wayfair, Foster Swift Collins & Smith, June 6, 2019
- Firm Elects EC Members and Practice Leaders in 2021, February 17, 2021
- Tjapkes Joins Grand Rapids Office of Foster Swift, January 26, 2021
- Schtokal Discusses Export Topics Business Should Consider In 2021, Michigan Business Network, January 21, 2021
- Foster Swift Elects Six Shareholders in 2021, January 13, 2021
- Resource Published to Help Organizations Link to Trending Legal Issues, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 17, 2020
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- Mott Discusses Campaign Contributions, City Pulse, November 1, 2020
See Latest Editions of Business & Tax Law News:
- February 2021 Edition
- December 2020 Edition
- September 2020 Edition
- July 2020 Edition
- June 2020 Edition
- April 2020 Edition