Foster Swift business and tax attorneys help business owners, executives and managers address legal issues at every stage of the business life cycle. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Tax attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Tax Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues.
- CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S BIZ TECH LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Tax attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Recent Blog Posts
- New Safe Harbor Announced for Electronic Disclosures Required by ERISA
- Cyber Insurance: Is it right for you?
- Are Boards of Directors Responsible for Cybersecurity?
- Ohio Enacts Unique Safe Harbor to Reduce Data Breach Litigation Risks
- Legal Essentials: Biggest Mistakes when Dealing with Copyrights
- Enforceability and Incorporation of Online Terms and Conditions
- Legal Essentials: An Introduction to Data Privacy, Cybersecurity and Third Party Vendor Management
- GDPR Has Arrived and My Company Isn't Ready. Now What?
- Provisions for Vendor Contracts
- Potential $13.5 Million Uber Fine Highlights the Importance of Risk-Based Breach Response
Publications & Alerts
- Emails to Your Personal Attorney May Not Be Privileged If Sent or Received on a Work-Provided Email Address, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, June 16, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Loosens Restrictions for Northern Michigan and the UP; Previews Future Regulations for Downstate Businesses, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, June 5, 2020
- New PPP Legislation Provides Flexibility to Borrowers, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, June 5, 2020
- What the New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean for Employees Injured in Accidents while Occupying an Employer-Owned Vehicle, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 3, 2020
- Updates to PPP Forgiveness Regulations Released, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 26, 2020
- Up-North Restaurants and Bars to Open Under New Executive Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 20, 2020
- The PPP Loan Forgiveness Form is Out: Next Steps to Ensure Forgiveness for your PPP Loan, Foster Swift, May 21, 2020
- Webinar: Planning to Ensure Full Forgiveness for Your PPP Loan, Foster Swift Collins & Smith, PC, May 7, 2020
- Troubleshooting Multi-State Nexus Issues for the Family Business Post-Wayfair, Foster Swift Collins & Smith, June 6, 2019
- Estate and Succession Planning Essentials for Family Farms: Don’t Procrastinate – Control the Future of Your Farm, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 30, 2019
- Making the Most of International Trade Shows & Missions, Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, January 29, 2019
- Foster Swift Attorneys Present Trusts Seminars, National Business Institute (NBI), November 14 and 15, 2018
- Tax Issues and Challenges Surrounding Innovative Fundraising, MICPA: 2018 Nonprofit Conference, October 9, 2018
- Minimizing Legal Impact of Coronavirus for your Organization, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, March 17, 2020
- Mashni Named SBM ACES Chair, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, February 4, 2020
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- Foster Swift Welcomes Three Associates, November 14, 2019
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- Foster Swift Announces Women in Leadership, Michigan Business Network, June 5, 2019