Foster Swift business and tax attorneys help business owners, executives and managers address legal issues at every stage of the business life cycle. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Tax attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Tax Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues.
- CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S BIZ TECH LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Tax attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing, Detroit and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Recent Blog Posts
- Are Boards of Directors Responsible for Cybersecurity?
- Ohio Enacts Unique Safe Harbor to Reduce Data Breach Litigation Risks
- Legal Essentials: Biggest Mistakes when Dealing with Copyrights
- Enforceability and Incorporation of Online Terms and Conditions
- Legal Essentials: An Introduction to Data Privacy, Cybersecurity and Third Party Vendor Management
- GDPR Has Arrived and My Company Isn't Ready. Now What?
- Provisions for Vendor Contracts
- Potential $13.5 Million Uber Fine Highlights the Importance of Risk-Based Breach Response
- Business Rap: Investing in Multi-Family Homes
- How Are Foreign Entrepreneurs Affected by the Delay of the International Entrepreneur Rule?
Publications & Alerts
- 400,000 Reasons to Remain Vigilant About ITAR Compliance, March 2019 Business & Tax Law News, March 11, 2019
- Deadline Approaching for H-1B VISA – CAP Filing, January 2019 Business & Tax Law E-blast, January 28, 2019
- Three Myths about Farm Succession Planning, January 2019 Agricultural Law News, January 28, 2019
- Avoid Foreign Hackers in 2019, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 19, 2018
- 642(c) Pooled Income Funds: Unique Advantages to new Charitable Compensation Plans-Part One, November 2018 Business & Tax Law News, October 9, 2018
- Detroit Landlords and Enforcement of the City’s Inspection Ordinance, September 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, September 24, 2018
- Troubleshooting Multi-State Nexus Issues for the Family Business Post-Wayfair, Foster Swift Collins & Smith, June 6, 2019
- Estate and Succession Planning Essentials for Family Farms: Don’t Procrastinate – Control the Future of Your Farm, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 30, 2019
- Making the Most of International Trade Shows & Missions, Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, January 29, 2019
- Foster Swift Attorneys Present Trusts Seminars, National Business Institute (NBI), November 14 and 15, 2018
- Tax Issues and Challenges Surrounding Innovative Fundraising, MICPA: 2018 Nonprofit Conference, October 9, 2018
- Legal Essentials to Exporting: Export compliance, International Intellectual Property and Foreign Business Partners, MEDC, September 19, 2018
- Legal Essentials to Exporting: Export Control Compliance Overview Training, MEDC, May 17, 2018
- Foster Swift Announces Women in Leadership, Michigan Business Network, June 5, 2019
- Municipal Attorney Joins Dapper Dads, April 24, 2019
- Johnson Appointed as Business Practice Group Co-Leader, April 12, 2019
- Upcoming Seminars for Businesses New to Exporting, Michigan Business Network, March 14, 2019
- Training Programs: Growing your Business Globally, February 4, 2019
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Attorneys, November 16, 2018
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018