Foster Swift's Landlord-Tenant practice includes the representation of both commercial and residential landlords and commercial tenants in all aspects of lease transactions and disputes. From big to small landlord-tenant matters, Foster Swift can handle them all.
Our attorneys have represented commercial offices, mall and shopping center owners in national tenant lease negotiations. The attorneys in this practice area handle commercial evictions, as well as routine residential evictions for apartment owners. With a thorough knowledge of Michigan Landlord-Tenant law, our attorneys are able to successfully prosecute as well as defend residential landlord and tenant actions. We have developed standard leases and related forms for student housing complexes, shopping centers and office buildings for firm clients.
Publications & Alerts
- Beyond the Basics - Commercial Leases From a Tenant’s Perspective, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 9, 2018
- Detroit Landlords and Enforcement of the City’s Inspection Ordinance, September 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, September 24, 2018
- The Dos and Don’ts of Leasing Property Owned by a Municipality, August 2018 Municipal Law News, August 15, 2018
- Michigan Landlord/Tenant Law Amended to Allow for Electronic Service of Eviction Notices, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate and Bankruptcy News, June 18, 2015
- Tenants, Trespassers and Squatters - New Michigan Laws Impact Landowners’ Rights Regarding those on, or with a Possessory Interest in, their Property, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate and Bankruptcy News, August 26, 2014
- New Lead-Based Paint Removal Regulations and Certification Requirements as of April 22, 2010, Foster Swift Banking, Finance & Real Estate E-News, June 10, 2010
- Firm Elects Executive Committee Members for 2019, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, March 7, 2019