Robert Hamor provides value-added representation for clients in the areas of for-profit and non-profit corporate transactions and governance, commercial real estate, and related litigation matters. Known for his responsiveness and no-nonsense advice, Robert zealously represents his clients relating to:
- the formation, governance, and development of businesses entities;
- contract negotiation, drafting, implementation, and enforcement;
- real estate matters such as leases, purchase agreements, environmental compliance, and enforcement of property-related contracts;
- construction contracts and disputes;
- government compliance in regulated industries; and
- buying, selling, and restructuring businesses.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Robert was involved with and ran several real estate and finance companies with a focus on commercial real estate transactions. This real-world experience enables Robert to understand the practical needs of his clients while protecting them from legal – and practical – pitfalls.
Robert graduated in the top 3% of his class from Western Michigan University - Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Magna Cum Laude and was a guest speaker at the 2011 American Bar Association Mid-Year Event, lecturing on the housing crisis and its effects on communities of color. Robert’s clients include small businesses, tier-1 automotive suppliers, government contractors, REITs, environmental remediation companies, and technology companies.
Robert is a frequent lecturer on topics such as the emerging Corporate Transparency Act and various real estate matters.
Honors & Recognitions
Michigan Lawyers Weekly "Up and Coming Lawyer", Class of 2023
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Real Estate, 2017-2018, 2021,
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Business/Corporate, 2022-2023
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Inns of Court
- Lead counsel for the borrower in a $185,000,000 asset-based lending package in the automotive industry.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition and partial remediation of contaminated commercial property.
- Outside general counsel to one of Metro Detroit’s largest automotive manufacturing suppliers.
- Represented the purchaser in one of the largest minority-owned business transactions in Metro Detroit.
- Eviction counsel for several Michigan-based malls.
- Corporate counsel for a facilities management company dealing with sales tax disputes in more than 40 states.
- Successfully represented creditors in bankruptcy proceedings to recover collateral and further acquire the remaining assets of the bankrupt entity through a successful stalking horse bid.
- Successfully defended creditors in bankruptcy proceedings against allegations of fraudulent transfers.
- Successfully defended a commissioned salesperson in parallel Federal and State litigation relating to harassment and breach of contract/non-compete agreements.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of an insurance broker alleged to have engaged in embezzlement and fraud.
- Corporate counsel for various construction companies dealing with commercial and residential construction liens, restructuring, contract negotiation and drafting, Miller Act claims, and supplier and union disputes.
- Corporate counsel for various manufacturing companies with a focus on corporate governance, real estate, and supplier-related issues.
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- Corporate Transparency Act: What You Need to Know Before 2024
- Minimizing Cybersecurity Risks for Remote Workers
Michigan Labor & Employment Law Blog
- Notable Shift in Contract Law Regarding Release Contracts Could Affect Automotive Suppliers and Others, Business & Tax Law News, August 3, 2023
- Court of Appeals Ruling Halts Pending Minimum Wage Increase and New Earned Sick Time Act – For Now, Labor & Employment Law News E-blast, January 27, 2023
- Don't Forget! Michigan's Minimum Wage Increases on January 1, Additional Hike Expected, Foster Swift Labor & Employment Law News E-blast, December 28, 2022
- Corporate Transparency Act: Big Brother is Now Watching Small Businesses, Focus Magazine - Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, December 12, 2022
- Implications of the Forthcoming Corporate Transparency Act, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, May 10, 2022
- Tips for First-Time Commercial Real Estate Landlords, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, April 1, 2022
News & Events
- Michigan Supreme Court Decision May Affect Contract Drafting Between Suppliers and Buyers, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Lunch Break, August 9, 2023
- Environmental Impacts to Consider in Business Brokerage Activities, Michigan Business Brokers Association, May 4, 2023
- How do Businesses get Ready for the Upcoming Corporate Transparency Act?, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Lunch Break, March 8, 2023
- Policy & Regulatory Education Series: Corporate Transparency Act, Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, February 7, 2023
- Panel Discussion on the Corporate Transparency Act, Michigan Business Network Speaker Series, October 13, 2022
- Talent Recruitment and Retention Policies, Fall 2022 Labor & Employment Law Updates, October 12, 2022
- 17 Attorneys Selected to 2023 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 11, 2023
- Hamor Named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, February 15, 2023
- Foster Swift Elects Three New Shareholders, Ingham County Legal News, January 30, 2023
- The Faces of Strategic Business Law, dBusiness, November 1, 2022
- MBN Speakers Series: NSBA Todd McCracken & Foster Swift's Robert Hamor Discuss the CTA, Michigan Business Network, October 13, 2022
- New Video Series Discusses Legal Issues for the Michigan Farmer, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 6, 2022
- 21 Attorneys Selected to 2022 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 12, 2022
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
Walsh College, B.A.
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan