An experienced litigation and trial attorney, as lead counsel, Dora Brantley has successfully defended professional liability claims and claims brought against:
- Restaurants and hospitality companies
- Manufacturers, transportation carriers and drivers
- Landlords and homeowners
- Small business owners and,
- Governmental entities and their employees.
She is often engaged by employers to investigate and provide direction regarding claims of discrimination and harassment, as well as insurance carriers to resolve coverage disputes. She serves as one of only a few Michigan panel counsel for a leading conglomerate of insurance companies. Those claims and litigation encompass, but are not limited to, automobile negligence (first and third party), single and multi-family residential fire losses, construction and toxic torts. She has tried, to verdict, cases involving catastrophic injuries, including death.
Dora enjoys the honor of being the only attorney who has been selected by two Fortune 500 fast food corporations to defend claims and litigation involving a variety of issues, including tort liability and alleged civil rights violations, that have been brought against the corporations in Michigan. She is also one of only two attorneys who have been selected by a Fortune 500 hospitality corporation to defend tort and civil rights claims and litigation that have been brought against the corporation in Michigan.
To complement her professional liability practice in the defense of real estate salespersons and appraisers, Dora completed course work and is licensed as a real estate salesperson in the State of Michigan.
Dora is a member of the prestigious Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), an international organization with less than 1200 attorney members, all who have demonstrated their leadership in the legal community. Election to the FDCC is by the Board of Directors upon recommendation of an Admissions Committee charged with making an exhaustive investigation into the qualifications of nominees to ensure that they have distinguished themselves professionally. She also formerly held the position of Representative for the State of Michigan with the FDCC.
Dora previously served on the Board of Directors for Ronald McDonald House Charities in Detroit. She also served on the Board of Directors of LIFT Women’s Resource Center (Detroit), an organization established to assist women struggling with various social issues, including domestic violence and substance abuse.
Honors & Recognitions
Michigan Lawyer’s Weekly, “Women in the Law”, 2016
The Michigan Chronicle, “Woman of Excellence”, 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Negligence Law Section Council, Member
- Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Former Member, General Liability Section Chair
- Ronald McDonald House Charities, Detroit
- Board of Directors, 2017 - 2019
- LIFT Women’s Resource Center (Detroit)
- Board of Directors, 2007 - 2014
- Michigan Court of Appeals Ruling Adds Challenges for Premises Owners and Their Insurers as to Premises Liability Cases, Insurance Regulatory News E-blast, January 22, 2024
- Michigan Supreme Court Announces Seismic Shift in Premises Liability Cases, Insurance Regulatory News E-blast, August 2, 2023
News & Events
- Preparing Women Business Leaders for 2024 Legal Challenges, Meltwater Newswire, February 20, 2024
- Fortune 500 Defense Litigator Joins Foster Swift, Detroit Legal News, June 1, 2023
Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1993
University of Michigan, B.A., 1990
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals