Foster Swift fields a Deal Team comprised of lawyers across its six offices throughout the State of Michigan.
Unlike many lawyers, we do not only dabble in transactional work. Our team has closed hundreds of deals across nearly every industry, and can scale to any deal size. We have the firepower to easily manage 9-figure transactions, but are also equipped to handle a 6-figure deal in a cost effective manner. And we are experienced in representing all sides of the transaction – from buyers and sellers to private equity funds, lenders, joint venture partners, and other interested parties.
We are experts on the legal and practical issues that arise in transactions, and have the necessary real world experience to close deals efficiently while protecting our clients’ interests. We advise on every aspect of the deal – from due diligence and structuring the deal, to negotiation, documentation, and closing. We work with each client and its other advisors to vet the target company, find the optimal transaction structure from both a tax and legal standpoint, work out the deal terms, prepare documentation that protects our client’s interests without killing the deal, and getting to closing quickly.
Our representative experience speaks for itself:
- Represented the stockholders with a $100m+ stock sale of an Internet service company.
- Represented purchasers and sellers of technology and telecommunication companies, including the $40m sale of a cellular provider.
- Represented many manufacturers in sales and purchases, including 8-figure sales to publicly-held corporations.
- Represented buyers and sellers of professional practices ranging from $250k to $1.5m, including dental practices, medical groups, accounting firms, dentistry practices, and veterinary practices.
- Represent buyers and sellers of regulated businesses ranging from $500k to $10m, including financial services, health care, insurance groups, cannabis, and ITAR registered defense businesses.
- Represented Michigan financial institutions in the acquisition of bank holding companies and branches, including a $110 million acquisition of another Michigan-based bank holding company and an $840 million sale of a bank holding company.
- Directed a publicly-held corporation in its “going private” transaction and issuance of $10 million of trust preferred securities.
- Represented numerous businesses in sales to private equity funds, including manufacturers, insurance agencies, and food processors.
- Represented private equity firms in the acquisition of portfolio companies – ranging in value from $1m to $100+m.
- Represented family members in connection with the acquisition of an approximately $20 million agricultural manufacturing business from the prior generation.
- Represented numerous clients in the structuring of equity and contractual joint ventures – both domestic and international arrangements.
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- In Crisis Lies Opportunity: Growth Through M&A During COVID-19, MiBiz, October 26, 2020
- Choosing Your Merger Partner, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, January 2013
- Software Licenses Do Not Automatically Transfer in a Merger or Acquisition, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Update, Spring 2010
- Learn Key Considerations for Selling a Business, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, April 13, 2022
- The Past and Future of Equity Crowdfunding, Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC) Conference, October 19, 2018
- Grand Rapids Law Firm Welcomes Two Associates, Grand Rapids Legal News, November 14, 2022
- Foster Swift Elects Four Shareholders, January 10, 2022
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- New Rising Star Listing in Super Lawyers 2021, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- The Impact of PPP Loans on Mergers & Acquisitions, October 16, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Nows Speaks on Equity Crowdfunding at GCEC Conference, October 10, 2018