Matthew Fedor focuses his practice on helping individuals and families in estate planning, business law, probate, trust and estate administration, elder law guardianships and conservatorships, and litigation in these areas. This combination of practice areas allows him to counsel clients on wealth strategies for their business and personal assets as well as create various limited liability companies and ancillary trusts for this purpose.
Matt has a unique perspective due to his experience in representing both families and business owners and is able to counsel clients regarding protecting their assets and planning for the transfer of those assets to the next generation. Matt represents businesses as their general counsel, advising them in various aspects of the business cycle from choice of entity at start up, buy-sell agreements, real estate transactions, contract review and negotiation, acquisitions, through the eventual sale or dissolution.
Elder law and the areas related to an aging population are becoming more important in the way Matt counsels clients. Estate planning is an important and vital part of that process and Matt takes the time to gather the personal information and histories of clients, recommending a plan that can include tax planning, asset protection, Medicaid planning, guardianships and conservatorships, specifically tailored to the clients’ needs. Matt is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA).
Matt has served in various capacities on behalf of clients including corporate officer, trustee, and general legal counsel, and is able to bring this perspective in counseling clients to achieve their goals.
Matt is a frequent speaker on various topics related to his practice and is a Probate and Estate Planning Certificate recipient from the Institute of Continuing Legal Education. He earned his law degree, Cum Laude, from Michigan State University with a concentration in taxation, and his Bachelor of Science degree from Indiana University. He also attended Father Gabriel Richard High School in Ann Arbor.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Client Protection Fund Committee
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Client Protection Fund Committee, State Bar of Michigan
- Veterans Administration (VA) Accredited, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Indiana University Alumni Association
- MSU College of Law Alumni Board - 2003-2009; President 2008-2009
- Presidents Club, Michigan State University
- Defended the Trustee of a deceased business owner’s estate in administering a multi-million dollar trust against multiple lawsuits from family members.
- Represented business owners in sale of business to multi-million dollar insurance agency.
- Successfully defended client against petition for guardianship, obtaining an order of dismissal from the Probate Court Judge.
- Successfully represented client to challenge personal representative of father’s estate to have the personal representative removed and replaced with my client.
- Successfully negotiated settlement for client of disputed life insurance policy in Federal Court where client was not the last named beneficiary.
- Negotiated multi-million dollar buyout of Michigan company by international purchaser.
- Assisted client in transitioning real estate condominium development to newly formed condominium association entity.
- Created family LLC to hold family cottage with specific provisions providing for details of maintenance, expense sharing, and use schedules.
- Negotiated settlement of over $100,000 for victim of dog bite case after filing suit against the insurance company.
Recent Blog Posts
Elder Law Blog
- Spotting and Stopping Elder Abuse by Those Exerting Undue Influence During COVID-19
- Dangers of DIY Estate Planning Emails
- Spending Time with Loved Ones During the COVID Holiday Season
- Nation's Veterans Continue to Serve During COVID-19
- Taking Steps to Protect the Most Vulnerable During COVID
- Resource to Keep Senior Caretakers Organized
- Preparing a Will During a Pandemic
- Beware of Debt Relief Scams During the Pandemic
- Estate Planning Isn’t Just for the Wealthy. Start Preparing Now.
- Communications – Important in planning and in the workplace
- Latest MDHHS Order Increases Stadium Capacity; Relaxes Face Mask Requirements for Fully Vaccinated Persons, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, March 19, 2021
- Key Issues in Business Interruption Insurance Coverage During the Pandemic, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News E-blast, March 3, 2021
- Executive Order: Revised Requirement for Businesses and Other Organizations, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, July 19, 2020
- Whitmer Issues Executive Orders on Masks at Polling Places and Extending Remote Government Meetings, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, July 17, 2020
- Whitmer Enacts Mandatory Mask Executive Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, July 10, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Loosens Restrictions for Northern Michigan and the UP; Previews Future Regulations for Downstate Businesses, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, June 5, 2020
News & Events
- Learn About Key Issues of Business Interruption Insurance, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Morning Break, March 10, 2021
- Business Interruption Insurance Coverage, Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE), January 25, 2021
- The Current Status of COVID Orders in Michigan, Foster Swift, November 11, 2020
- District Court Civil Law Update, Michigan Judicial Institute: Regional Judicial Seminar, January 14, 2020
- Trusts 101: Estate Planning for the Disabled, November 14, 2018
- Foster Swift Attorneys Present Trusts Seminars, National Business Institute (NBI), November 14 and 15, 2018
- Resource for Seniors and their Caretakers During Pandemic, September 14, 2020
- COVID-19 Creates Renewed Urgency for Elder Law Planning, May 1, 2020
- Minimizing Legal Impact of Coronavirus for your Organization, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, March 17, 2020
- Foster Swift Elects New Shareholders, Lansing Regional Chamber, January 21, 2019
- Foster Swift Launches Elder Law Blog, May 23, 2018
- Foster Swift Southfield Office Has Second Growth Spurt, September 18, 2017
Michigan State University, College of Law, J.D. cum laude 2000
Indiana University, B.S. Public Affairs 1996
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan