As a member of the Business and Tax Practice Group, Matt Hrebec primarily practices corporate transactions, securities regulation and employee benefits. He represents clients from a wide range of industries in all types of corporate transactions. Because of his breadth of knowledge and reputation for practical and highly effective solutions, he is often called upon by his clients to serve as general counsel. A more detailed listing of Matt's services follows:
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Purchase and sale of businesses; tax-free and taxable transactions; reorganizations; stock for stock exchanges; asset sales.
- Securities Regulation: Private offerings, Initial Public Offerings (IPOs), secondary offerings, broker/dealer regulation, customer disputes, Williams Act reporting, Exchange Act reporting and compliance.
- General Counsel: Corporate governance; business entity selection, organization and planning; board and officer succession planning; shareholder agreements.
- Banking Law: State and federal regulation; Bank holding company matters; PATRIOT Act; bank branching; executive compensation; sales and acquisitions.
- Employee Benefits: Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs) , non-qualified deferred compensation, stock based compensation, including phantom stock and stock options.
Matt earned both of his degrees at the University of Michigan. A lifelong Michigan resident, Matt is active in the community and enjoys spending time with his family. He has also served as a member of Foster Swift's Executive Committee.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America® 2009-2023 (Banking & Finance Law; Corporate Compliance Law; Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisition Law)
Best Lawyers® 2021 Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2019 Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
2014 Best Lawyers® Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Foster Swift Attorneys Featured in Michigan Banker Magazine cover story, December 2007
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ingham County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan Bar
- Business Law Section
- Taxation Section
- ACADEMIC POSITION: Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Hillary Term 2004, Adjunct Professor
Industry & Professional Associations:
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- ESOP Association, Michigan Chapter
- Michigan Tax Lawyer Magazine, Former Member, Publication Committee
- Assisted Michigan family owned business in connection with a multi-state business acquisition initiative.
- Assisted Michigan bank holding company in connection with $110 million acquisition of Michigan-based bank holding company.
- Assisted Michigan bank holding company in connection with $92 million acquisition of Michigan-based bank holding company.
- Assisted client in connection with two private offerings of equity securities under Regulation D totaling $13 million.
- Assisted Michigan bank holding company in connection with $840 million sale of its business to an out-of-state, publicly-held corporation.
- Assisted Michigan manufacturer in connection with $44 million sale of its business to an out-of-state, publicly-held corporation.
- Assisted publicly-held corporation in connection with its "going private" transaction and issuance of $10 million of trust preferred securities.
- Assisted Michigan food processor in connection with $20 million sale of its business to a private equity fund.
- Michigan Securities Law will Change Dramatically on October 1, 2009, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Update, October 2009
- Employee Benefit Considerations in the Context of a Divorce, Michigan Bar Journal, March 1990
News & Events
- Advising Small Businesses - Choice of Entity, State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section Small Business Forum, March 7, 2007
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, Legal Assistant Section, State Bar of Michigan Annual Day of Education, May 6, 2005
- Best Practices - The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, June 18, 2004
- The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: Corporate Responsibility and Governance Issues, Lorman Seminar, June 17, 2004
- How Corporate Governance Can Work For You by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, Michigan Chapter of the ESOP Association, March 31, 2004
- Responsibilities, Duties and Rights of the Corporate Director in the Post-Sarbanes-Oxley Environment, October 28, 2003
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named 2023 Best Lawyers in America©, Best Lawyers in America, August 18, 2022
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Lawyer of the Year", August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- Six Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2019 "Lawyer of the Year", August 15, 2018
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1988
University of Michigan, B.B.A., 1986, with high distinction
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan