Every business enters into contractual relationships. All too often businesses enter into written contracts without the benefit of a comprehensive legal review. Many times, these companies forfeit important rights or become saddled by unfavorable business terms.
Contract review by an experienced attorney can help prevent a business from entering into an unfair contract while preserving the business relationship between the contracting parties.
From reviewing and drafting contracts to protecting your interests during contentious negotiations, our attorneys have the skills to meet your needs. The focus is always on efficiently and effectively meeting the needs of our clients and making sure that the contract agreements align with the organization's operational goals. Our clients range from individuals and small start-up enterprises to publicly-traded corporations. We regularly review and draft a variety of contracts for our clients, including:
- Asset and stock purchase agreements;
- Confidentiality agreements;
- Limited liability company operating agreements;
- Partnership agreements;
- Employment agreements;
- Shareholder agreements;
- Contracts for the purchase or sale of goods or services;
- Lease agreements;
- Joint venture agreements;
- Governmental contracts;
- Purchase orders and acceptances; and
- Contracts involving international parties.
Recent Blog Posts
- Federal Trade Commission Issues Sweeping Proposed Rule to Prohibit Noncompete Agreements
- Common Characteristics of Equine Sale Disputes—And Ways to Avoid Them
- How Equine Professionals Can Avoid Payment Disputes and Handle Them Legally if They Occur
- What’s the Problem with Verbal Contracts?
- Contracts Can Save Lives: How Boarding Contracts Can Handle Horse Emergencies
- The Seller’s Contract Includes an “As Is” Disclaimer – Now What?
- A Brief Legal Guide to Buying a Distressed Business
- I Want Out: Dealing with Contracts in the Time of Corornavirus
- Three Steps to Forming an LLC
- Provisions for Vendor Contracts
Publications & Alerts
- Notable Shift in Contract Law Regarding Release Contracts Could Affect Automotive Suppliers and Others, Business & Tax Law News, August 3, 2023
- Legal Pitfalls to Avoid in Name, Image, Likeness (“NIL”) Contracts, Business & Tax Law News, July 5, 2023
- NCAA vs. Alston: The Case That Changed College Athletics Forever, April 7, 2023
- Year End Budgeting and Housekeeping Best Practices for Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, October 27, 2022
- 2021 Year-End Checklist for Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, October 24, 2021
- Solar Leases: Ten Things That Every Landowner Should Keep in Mind, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, September 20, 2021
- Why Selecting the Right Legal Counsel is Essential to Your Business, Foster Swift Collins & Smith - Legal Strategies for Women Leaders, August 30, 2023
- Michigan Supreme Court Decision May Affect Contract Drafting Between Suppliers and Buyers, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Lunch Break, August 9, 2023
- Bringing 2022 to a Close with Best Practices for Businesses, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Lunch Break, December 14, 2022
- Equine Liability Laws, American Horse Council, June 6, 2022
- Learn Key Considerations for Selling a Business, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, April 13, 2022
- How Equine Professionals Can Avoid Payment Disputes and Handle Them Legally if They Occur, Equestrian Professional, January 24, 2022
- Leverage Strategic Partnerships to Increase Export Opportunities, Michigan Manufacturers Association and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, August 24, 2021
- Hamor Named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, February 15, 2023
- New Video Series Discusses Legal Issues for the Michigan Farmer, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 6, 2022
- Foster Swift Elects Four Shareholders, January 10, 2022
- New Rising Star Listing in Super Lawyers 2021, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- Crain's Detroit Names Julie Fershtman in 2017 Notable Women Lawyers, Crain's Detroit, December 14, 2017
- Entrepreneur Institute of Mid-Michigan names Attorney Joel C. Farrar "Volunteer of the Year", June 11, 2015
- $5.15 Million Verdict for Farm Equipment Dealer Upheld, September 25, 2014
Legal Strategies for Women Leaders
An approachable, informative series dedicated to advancing women in business. See the first session recorded on April 19 regarding Women Owned Small Business Certification: Process, Requirements and Benefits.