Foster Swift attorneys represent individuals, businesses, and financial institutions in negotiation, litigation, the appointment of receivers, and pre and post-judgment activities to obtain and collect judgments, delinquent accounts, and contractual obligations (such as the sale of goods).
We rely upon experienced support staff, technology and proven methods to provide prompt and efficient results, and to achieve a high recovery ratio for clients. Our team is trained in the most recent debt collection case law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Michigan Collection Practices Act.
Foster Swift's collection team handles both simple and complex collection matters. We have extensive experience in efficiently obtaining judgments, conducting research regarding borrower’s or debtor’s assets, negotiating payment structures, and issuing Garnishments and Writs of Seizure.
We have significant experience in seeking the appointment of receivers over the borrower’s assets, and working with receivers to reach a positive result for the creditor.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Recent Blog Posts
- Supreme Court Holds that “Mere Retention” of Estate Property After Bankruptcy Filing Doesn't Violate the Automatic Stay
- Are Funds Received as the Beneficiary of an IRA Property of the Estate in Bankruptcy?
- Sixth Circuit: Creditor did not Violate Chapter 7 Discharge Injunction While Negotiating Release of Lien
- Sixth Circuit Rules that Monthly 401(k) Contributions can be Excluded from “Projected Disposable Income” Under a Chapter 13 Plan
- Who is a “Non-Statutory Insider” for Purposes of Determining Whether a Payment Was Preferential in Bankruptcy?
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules that Order Granting or Denying Request for Relief from Automatic Stay is Final Order that is Immediately Appealable
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Finds No Breach of Contract or FCRA Violation in Connection with Late Payments Under a Reaffirmation Agreement
- Supreme Court Decides that Law Firms Engaged in Non-Judicial Foreclosure Proceedings are Not Debt Collectors Under the FDCPA
- Chapter 7 Debtors Permitted to Amend Schedules to Claim Homestead Exemption after Successful Avoidance Action by Trustee
- Bankruptcy Court Grants Relief from Stay to Credit Union to Exercise State Law Rights Related to Setoff Against Funds in which the Debtor's Children Hold an Interest
Publications & Alerts
- What to Know When Your Customer Files for Bankruptcy, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 17, 2020
- A Systematic Plan for Debt Collection by Agribusinesses, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, September 23, 2020
- Giving Debtors a Break During COVID-19: How to be Flexible But Still Protect Your Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 28, 2020
- Don't Overlook Legal Counsel When Addressing Agribusiness Financial Challenges, July 31, 2019
- A Systematic Plan for Debt Collection, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, February 18, 2019
- Plan Now for a Prosperous 2019, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 20, 2018
- Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, Foster Swift, October 14, 2020
- Creative Collections, Foster Swift Morning Break, July 8, 2020
- Current Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Topics and Issues, BANKRUPTCY BEST PRACTICES SEMINAR 2018, October 16, 2018
- Bankruptcy 101, NALS of Lansing, June 10, 2015
- Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Practice, Federal Bar Association, April 30, 2015
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy issues, Bankruptcy Best Practices Seminar, September 27, 2013
- Foster Swift Attorney Discusses Creditors' Rights In Stamp Farms Case, Michigan Farm Bureau, December 21, 2012
- Weekly TV Show Launches to Help Businesses Navigate the Pandemic, mConnexions, March 15, 2021
- Patricia Scott Discusses Recent Receivership Act Amendment, Michigan Business Network, January 21, 2021
- Nine Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2021, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 11, 2020
- Resource Published to Help Organizations Link to Trending Legal Issues, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 17, 2020
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- Hogan Covers Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, October 6, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020