Foster Swift attorneys represent individuals, businesses, and financial institutions in negotiation, litigation, the appointment of receivers, and pre and post-judgment activities to obtain and collect judgments, delinquent accounts, and contractual obligations (such as the sale of goods).
We rely upon experienced support staff, technology and proven methods to provide prompt and efficient results, and to achieve a high recovery ratio for clients. Our team is trained in the most recent debt collection case law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Michigan Collection Practices Act.
Foster Swift's collection team handles both simple and complex collection matters. We have extensive experience in efficiently obtaining judgments, conducting research regarding borrower’s or debtor’s assets, negotiating payment structures, and issuing Garnishments and Writs of Seizure.
We have significant experience in seeking the appointment of receivers over the borrower’s assets, and working with receivers to reach a positive result for the creditor.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Recent Blog Posts
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Finds No Breach of Contract or FCRA Violation in Connection with Late Payments Under a Reaffirmation Agreement
- Supreme Court Decides that Law Firms Engaged in Non-Judicial Foreclosure Proceedings are Not Debt Collectors Under the FDCPA
- Chapter 7 Debtors Permitted to Amend Schedules to Claim Homestead Exemption after Successful Avoidance Action by Trustee
- Bankruptcy Court Grants Relief from Stay to Credit Union to Exercise State Law Rights Related to Setoff Against Funds in which the Debtor's Children Hold an Interest
- Bankruptcy Court Denies Creditors Request for Relief from Automatic Stay to Arbitrate its Claims and Progress Setoff and Recoupment Rights
- Supreme Court Rules that Debt Collector’s Attempt to Collect Time Barred Claim in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case Does not Violate Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Decision to Deny Chapter 7 Debtor’s Proposed Exemption Because She Lacked Equity in Property After a Sale
- District Court Affirms that Civil Fraud Penalties are Nondischargeable in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Cases
- Bankruptcy Court Upholds Contemporaneous Exchange for New Value Defense in Preference Action
- Chapter 7 Debtor’s Case Dismissed After Court Finds that She is Judicially Estopped from Arguing that Student Loan Debts are Non-Consumer in Nature
Publications & Alerts
- Don't Overlook Legal Counsel When Addressing Agribusiness Financial Challenges, July 31, 2019
- A Systematic Plan for Debt Collection, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, February 18, 2019
- Plan Now for a Prosperous 2019, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 20, 2018
- When an Inheritance Gets Entangled in a Bankruptcy Proceeding, Smart Estate Planning Can Help, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, October 31, 2018
- What To Do When You Receive A Bankruptcy Notice, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, April 11, 2018
- How to Avoid Bankruptcy and Build a Strong, Successful Business, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, March 1, 2018
- Current Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Topics and Issues, BANKRUPTCY BEST PRACTICES SEMINAR 2018, October 16, 2018
- Bankruptcy 101, NALS of Lansing, June 10, 2015
- Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Practice, Federal Bar Association, April 30, 2015
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy issues, Bankruptcy Best Practices Seminar, September 27, 2013
- Foster Swift Attorney Discusses Creditors' Rights In Stamp Farms Case, Michigan Farm Bureau, December 21, 2012
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- Scott Appointed Legal Counsel for Lansing Regional Chamber, April 10, 2019
- Patricia Scott Named to 2019 Leaders in the Law, February 13, 2019
- Scott Appointed to the FBA Bankruptcy Steering Committee, January 23, 2019
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- Law Firm Elects Practice Group Leaders, February 22, 2018
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015