Foster Swift attorneys represent Creditors, Debtors, Trustees and other interested parties in actions pending in Bankruptcy Courts. They advise their clients on issues with bankruptcy implications in the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, including, but not limited to, the cities of Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Flint and Bay City.
The Foster Swift bankruptcy team has extensive experience in Chapter 11 corporate reorganizations, Chapter 7 liquidation, Chapter 13 individual reorganizations and less frequent filings such as Chapter 12.
The firm's bankruptcy counsel have considerable experience in all aspects of the practice, advising its clients on such issues as lien priority, claims handling and adjudication, preferences, avoidance actions, lift of stay proceedings, and fraudulent conveyances.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Get Case updates from the Bankruptcy Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan.
Recent Blog Posts
- A Brief Legal Guide to Buying a Distressed Business
- End of the Road for Aereo? Embattled Video Streaming Startup Files for Bankruptcy
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Holding that Contributions to a 401(k) Plan Made More than Six Months Prior to Bankruptcy Cannot be Excluded from Disposable Income
- Sixth Circuit Upholds Chapter 13 Debtor’s Right to Request and Receive Dismissal of Bankruptcy Case
- Supreme Court Holds that “Mere Retention” of Estate Property After Bankruptcy Filing Doesn't Violate the Automatic Stay
- Are Funds Received as the Beneficiary of an IRA Property of the Estate in Bankruptcy?
- Michigan Updates and Expands its Receivership Act
- Sixth Circuit: Creditor did not Violate Chapter 7 Discharge Injunction While Negotiating Release of Lien
- Sixth Circuit Rules that Monthly 401(k) Contributions can be Excluded from “Projected Disposable Income” Under a Chapter 13 Plan
- Who is a “Non-Statutory Insider” for Purposes of Determining Whether a Payment Was Preferential in Bankruptcy?
Publications & Alerts
- The Significance of the Consolidated Appropriations Act for Bankruptcy Trustees, Thomson Reuters WestLaw Today, July 27, 2021
- Farm Bankruptcy Reorganizations for Agribusinesses, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, December 1, 2020
- What to Know When Your Customer Files for Bankruptcy, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 17, 2020
- Giving Debtors a Break During COVID-19: How to be Flexible But Still Protect Your Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Federal Main Street Lending: Expanded Eligibility and Loan Options, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 4, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Moves to Reopen Construction and Real Estate with Updated Stay-At-Home Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 4, 2020
- Bankruptcy Notice: All is Not Lost—How to get Money Out of a Bankruptcy?, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, November 10, 2021
- Case Law Update, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, September 24, 2021
- Restaurant, Hotel and Other Hospitality Issues, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, September 24, 2021
- SBRA Deep Dive, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, September 24, 2021
- Consumer Case Law Update, American Bankruptcy Institute: Consumer Bankruptcy Forum, November 11, 2020
- Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, Foster Swift, October 14, 2020
- The PPP Loan Forgiveness Form is Out: Next Steps to Ensure Forgiveness for your PPP Loan, Foster Swift, May 21, 2020
- Fedor and Genovich join Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellows, Michigan State Bar Foundation, November 11, 2021
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2022, Best Lawyers in America, November 5, 2021
- Best Lawyers® 2022 "Lawyer of the Year", August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- 16 Attorneys Selected to 2021 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- Weekly TV Show Launches to Help Businesses Navigate the Pandemic, mConnexions, March 15, 2021
- Patricia Scott Discusses Recent Receivership Act Amendment, Michigan Business Network, January 21, 2021