Foster Swift attorneys represent Creditors, Debtors, Trustees and other interested parties in actions pending in Bankruptcy Courts. They advise their clients on issues with bankruptcy implications in the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, including, but not limited to, the cities of Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Flint and Bay City.
The Foster Swift bankruptcy team has extensive experience in Chapter 11 corporate reorganizations, Chapter 7 liquidation, Chapter 13 individual reorganizations and less frequent filings such as Chapter 12.
The firm's bankruptcy counsel have considerable experience in all aspects of the practice, advising its clients on such issues as lien priority, claims handling and adjudication, preferences, avoidance actions, lift of stay proceedings, and fraudulent conveyances.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Get Case updates from the Bankruptcy Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan.
Recent Blog Posts
- End of the Road for Aereo? Embattled Video Streaming Startup Files for Bankruptcy
- Chapter 7 Debtors Permitted to Amend Schedules to Claim Homestead Exemption after Successful Avoidance Action by Trustee
- Bankruptcy Court Grants Relief from Stay to Credit Union to Exercise State Law Rights Related to Setoff Against Funds in which the Debtor's Children Hold an Interest
- The Debtor, not the Trustee, is Entitled to Funds Being Held by a Trustee Following Dismissal of a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case
- Significant Changes to Bankruptcy Rules Effective December 1, 2017
- Supreme Court to Address Circuit Split Regarding Debt Re-Characterization Claims
- Supreme Court Rules that Debt Collector’s Attempt to Collect Time Barred Claim in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case Does not Violate Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Reserve it or Lose it: Sixth Circuit BAP Reverses Bankruptcy Court on Issue of Whether Trustee Abandoned Asset in Chapter 7 Case
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Decision to Deny Chapter 7 Debtor’s Proposed Exemption Because She Lacked Equity in Property After a Sale
- District Court Affirms that Civil Fraud Penalties are Nondischargeable in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Cases
Publications & Alerts
- When an Inheritance Gets Entangled in a Bankruptcy Proceeding, Smart Estate Planning Can Help, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, October 31, 2018
- An Exception to an Exemption: Michigan’s Lessee-User Tax, August 2018 Municipal Law News, August 16, 2018
- What To Do When You Receive A Bankruptcy Notice, April 2018 Agricultural Law News, April 11, 2018
- How to Avoid Bankruptcy and Build a Strong, Successful Business, March 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, March 1, 2018
- Governor Signs Bill Adopting the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act, February 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News E-blast, February 7, 2018
- City of Detroit Seeks to Recover Millions from Pre-Petition Vendors, December 8, 2015
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Genovich Honored with Property Tax Award, August 29, 2018
- Law Firm Elects Practice Group Leaders, February 22, 2018
- Foster Swift Elects Executive Committee Members for 2018, February 13, 2018
- Upcoming Webinar Series: Collect Your Money in Bankruptcy, June 18, 2015
- Foster Swift Elects Laura Genovich and Liza Moore shareholders, January 19, 2015
- Laura J. (Garlinghouse) Genovich appointed as Chapter 12 Trustee, October 8, 2012
- Recent Bankruptcy Law Decisions and Current Consumer Bankruptcy Law Issues, ABI: Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, November 12, 2018
- Current Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Topics and Issues, BANKRUPTCY BEST PRACTICES SEMINAR 2018, October 16, 2018
- Trigger Point to Avoid Financial Ruin: Perspectives from a Bankruptcy Lawyer, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 31, 2018
- Case law update, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, July 29, 2017
- Recent Decisions Impacting Bankruptcy Practice in the Western District of Michigan, Federal Bar Association, August 1, 2015
- Bankruptcy 101, NALS of Lansing, June 10, 2015
- What Every Treasurer Should Know About Bankruptcy, Livingston County Treasurers' Association, June 9, 2015