Foster Swift attorneys represent Creditors, Debtors, Trustees and other interested parties in actions pending in Bankruptcy Courts. They advise their clients on issues with bankruptcy implications in the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, including, but not limited to, the cities of Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Flint and Bay City.
The Foster Swift bankruptcy team has extensive experience in Chapter 11 corporate reorganizations, Chapter 7 liquidation, Chapter 13 individual reorganizations and less frequent filings such as Chapter 12.
The firm's bankruptcy counsel have considerable experience in all aspects of the practice, advising its clients on such issues as lien priority, claims handling and adjudication, preferences, avoidance actions, lift of stay proceedings, and fraudulent conveyances.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Get Case updates from the Bankruptcy Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan.
Recent Blog Posts
- End of the Road for Aereo? Embattled Video Streaming Startup Files for Bankruptcy
- Sixth Circuit: Creditor did not Violate Chapter 7 Discharge Injunction While Negotiating Release of Lien
- Sixth Circuit Rules that Monthly 401(k) Contributions can be Excluded from “Projected Disposable Income” Under a Chapter 13 Plan
- Who is a “Non-Statutory Insider” for Purposes of Determining Whether a Payment Was Preferential in Bankruptcy?
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Finds No Breach of Contract or FCRA Violation in Connection with Late Payments Under a Reaffirmation Agreement
- Chapter 7 Debtors Permitted to Amend Schedules to Claim Homestead Exemption after Successful Avoidance Action by Trustee
- Bankruptcy Court Grants Relief from Stay to Credit Union to Exercise State Law Rights Related to Setoff Against Funds in which the Debtor's Children Hold an Interest
- The Debtor, not the Trustee, is Entitled to Funds Being Held by a Trustee Following Dismissal of a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case
- Significant Changes to Bankruptcy Rules Effective December 1, 2017
- Supreme Court to Address Circuit Split Regarding Debt Re-Characterization Claims
Publications & Alerts
- Giving Debtors a Break During COVID-19: How to be Flexible But Still Protect Your Rights, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Federal Main Street Lending: Expanded Eligibility and Loan Options, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 4, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Moves to Reopen Construction and Real Estate with Updated Stay-At-Home Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 4, 2020
- Governor Whitmer Extends Closure of Restaurants, Libraries and Other Places of Accommodation through May 28, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, May 1, 2020
- Economic Support for Agricultural Producers Under the CARES Act, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News E-blast, April 3, 2020
- Key Details of the Paycheck Protection Program Under the CARES Act, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, April 3, 2020
- The PPP Loan Forgiveness Form is Out: Next Steps to Ensure Forgiveness for your PPP Loan, Foster Swift, May 21, 2020
- Recent Bankruptcy Law Decisions and Current Consumer Bankruptcy Law Issues, ABI: Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, November 12, 2018
- Current Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Topics and Issues, BANKRUPTCY BEST PRACTICES SEMINAR 2018, October 16, 2018
- Trigger Point to Avoid Financial Ruin: Perspectives from a Bankruptcy Lawyer, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 31, 2018
- Case Law Update, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, July 29, 2017
- Recent Decisions Impacting Bankruptcy Practice in the Western District of Michigan, Federal Bar Association, August 1, 2015
- Bankruptcy 101, NALS of Lansing, June 10, 2015
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- Scott Appointed Legal Counsel for Lansing Regional Chamber, April 10, 2019
- Patricia Scott Named to 2019 Leaders in the Law, February 13, 2019
- Scott Appointed to the FBA Bankruptcy Steering Committee, January 23, 2019