October 6, 2023
LANSING, Mich. —Foster Swift Collins & Smith attorney, Brian G. Goodenough, is the 2023 recipient of the Ingham County Bar Association's (ICBA) Theodore W. Swift Civility Award.
This award, given annually for the last 23 years, is presented to a member of the ICBA who has “distinguished himself or herself by manifesting civility in his or her relations with the Bench, Bar, clients, and the public, while adhering to and advancing the highest principles and traditions of the legal profession.” This award was named for and given posthumously to the firm’s name partner in 2000.
Goodenough has had a very distinguished career at Foster Swift. Started as an associate at the firm right out of law school in 1989, he became a shareholder in 1996. In addition to his practice, he previously served as a member of the firm's Executive Committee and as a firm officer.
The current leader of the firm’s Employer Services practice group, Brian’s practice focuses on:
- Workers’ compensation - Defends insurance companies and employers in workers' compensation litigation.
- Zoning and land-use disputes - Counsels townships, cities, counties and other municipalities.
- Brian was an adjunct professor for 20-plus years at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, his alma mater, where he has taught land-use and zoning law. In addition, he is an active member of several civic groups, including the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, where he has served as the group’s Chair and as its General Counsel.
- Municipal law - Represents municipalities against Freedom of Information Act and Open Meetings Act claims, counsels on cemetery liability, municipal insurance defense, fire/public safety department formation, litigation and funding.
- Brian has been recognized for his insurance defense work on behalf of his municipal clients. This includes being named Attorney of the Year in 2003 by Michigan’s largest insurer of municipalities.
Goodenough will be presented with the award at the 129th ICBA annual awards dinner, held at the University Club of Michigan State University on Wednesday, November 8, from 6:00-9:30 pm. See registration here.