Policies of insurance can be complicated contracts, and disputes occasionally arise involving interpretation of certain provisions within them. In addition, disputes occasionally arise in regard to representations made in the procurement of these policies that prove to be untrue, prompting insurance companies to seek rescission of the policies.
Several of the attorneys at Foster Swift are highly experienced in assisting insurers in evaluating coverage issues by consulting on particular coverage matters or drafting coverage opinions to help guide our insurer clients. When coverage disputes involve litigation, our firm has successfully represented insurance companies in these matters in state and federal courts around the country.
Our representation includes, among other things, the proactive filing of declaratory judgment actions and defense of coverage litigation brought against companies involving allegations of "bad faith” or other types of claims. Attorneys at this firm also have expertise in assisting our clients in drafting and updating policies of insurance. Our expertise extends to several different types of insurance policies, including specialty coverages.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Insurance Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 and 2023.
Recent Blog Posts
- Review Your Liability Insurance on Insurance Awareness Day
- Plan Ahead When Lending or Borrowing a Horse Trailer
- Federal Assistance to Providers and Required Coverage of COVID-19 Testing by Insurers
- U.S. Department of Labor Issues New Rules Concerning Association Health Plans
- Damage Caused by Boarded Horses -- Who Pays for It?
- New Year's Resolutions for the Equine Industry
- New York is 48th State to Enact an Equine Liability Law
- Dog Bite Liability – What Horse Owners and Stables Should Know
- How to Hire an Equine Lawyer
- Liability Insurance for the Average Horse Owner
Publications & Alerts
- Autonomous Vehicles: Who Should be Liable for Accidents Involving Them?, State Bar of Michigan - The Journal of Insurance and Indemnity Law, July 25, 2021
- Michigan Agricultural Law Updates, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 13, 2021
- Key Issues in Business Interruption Insurance Coverage During the Pandemic, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News E-blast, March 3, 2021
- What the New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean for Employees Injured in Accidents while Occupying an Employer-Owned Vehicle, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 3, 2020
- Animal Law for Insurance Lawyers, American Bar Association: Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, February 4, 2020
- March 15 Deadline: What Michigan Farmers Need to Know About Crop Insurance, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 24, 2020
- Hosting USEF Licensed Competitions and Managing Risks in Today’s Environment: Part I - Understanding Your General Liability Coverage, U.S. Equestrian Federation, July 10, 2023
- Case Studies: Lessons We Can Learn From Three Contentious Equine Mortality Lawsuits, “Agri Con,” IRMI Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference, March 8, 2022
- Autonomous Vehicles: Who is Liable?, Insurance Alliance of Michigan, September 20, 2021
- Enforceability of Waivers/Releases in Sporting & Recreational Settings, Insurance Alliance of Michigan, September 20, 2021
- Motorist’s 3rd Party Claim Survives, Despite Fraud Dismissing the 1st Party Claim, Insurance Alliance of Michigan, September 20, 2021
- Case Studies: Lessons We Can Learn from Two Contentious Agricultural Liability Lawsuits, International Risk Management Institute (IRMI) Agribusiness Conference - “Agri Con”, May 17, 2021
- Learn About Key Issues of Business Interruption Insurance, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Morning Break, March 10, 2021
- Fortune 500 Defense Litigator Joins Foster Swift, Detroit Legal News, June 1, 2023
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2023, Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms", November 3, 2022
- Fershtman Elected Vice-President of the Michigan State Bar Foundation, Michigan State Bar Foundation, September 15, 2022
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named 2023 Best Lawyers in America©, Best Lawyers in America, August 18, 2022
- Insurance Awareness Day: Foster Swift Highlights Importance of Reviewing Your Coverages, Yahoo! News, June 28, 2022
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2022, Best Lawyers in America, November 5, 2021
- Julie Fershtman Featured on “Ag Law Today” Podcast, Ag Law Today, August 23, 2021