Policies of insurance can be complicated contracts, and disputes occasionally arise involving interpretation of certain provisions within them. In addition, disputes occasionally arise in regard to representations made in the procurement of these policies that prove to be untrue, prompting insurance companies to seek rescission of the policies.
Several of the attorneys at Foster Swift are highly experienced in assisting insurers in evaluating coverage issues by consulting on particular coverage matters or drafting coverage opinions to help guide our insurer clients. When coverage disputes involve litigation, our firm has successfully represented insurance companies in these matters in state and federal courts around the country.
Our representation includes, among other things, the proactive filing of declaratory judgment actions and defense of coverage litigation brought against companies involving allegations of "bad faith” or other types of claims. Attorneys at this firm also have expertise in assisting our clients in drafting and updating policies of insurance. Our expertise extends to several different types of insurance policies, including specialty coverages.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Insurance Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020 and 2021.
Recent Blog Posts
- Damage Caused by Boarded Horses -- Who Pays for It?
- New Year's Resolutions for the Equine Industry
- New York is 48th State to Enact an Equine Liability Law
- Dog Bite Liability – What Horse Owners and Stables Should Know
- How to Hire an Equine Lawyer
- Liability Insurance for the Average Horse Owner
- Equine Insurance Policy Notice Requirements
- Should You Reduce or Cancel Your Liability Insurance?
- Federal Assistance to Providers and Required Coverage of COVID-19 Testing by Insurers
- U.S. Department of Labor Issues New Rules Concerning Association Health Plans
Publications & Alerts
- Key Issues in Business Interruption Insurance Coverage During the Pandemic, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News E-blast, March 3, 2021
- What the New Michigan No-Fault Laws Mean for Employees Injured in Accidents while Occupying an Employer-Owned Vehicle, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 3, 2020
- Animal Law for Insurance Lawyers, American Bar Association: Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, February 4, 2020
- March 15 Deadline: What Michigan Farmers Need to Know About Crop Insurance, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 24, 2020
- Avoiding Insurance Disputes in Agriculture, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, March 2019
- Understanding the Ins and Outs of the “Favored-Work” Doctrine Under Michigan Workers’ Compensation Law, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits News, January 25, 2018
- Case Studies: Lessons We Can Learn from Two Contentious Agricultural Liability Lawsuits, International Risk Management Institute (IRMI) Agribusiness Conference - “Agri Con”, May 17, 2021
- Learn About Key Issues of Business Interruption Insurance, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Morning Break, March 10, 2021
- Business Interruption Insurance Coverage, Michigan Society of Association Executives (MSAE), January 25, 2021
- Equine Insurance Coverage Issues, Kentucky Bar Association (Equine Law Section), November 23, 2020
- Livestock Mortality Insurance—Battleground Areas for Legal Disputes and Options To Avoid Disputes, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Richmond, VA, June 19, 2019
- Livestock Mortality Insurance—Battleground Areas for Legal Disputes and Options To Avoid Disputes, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Sacramento, CA, April 17, 2019
- Equine Activity Liability Acts and the Courts—What You Need to Know, Emmett J. Vaughan Agribusiness Conference-Richmond, VA, April 16, 2019
- Foster Swift Elects Six Shareholders in 2021, January 13, 2021
- Nine Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2021, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 11, 2020
- Foster Swift in dbusiness 2021 Top Lawyers, dbusiness, November 12, 2020
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- Littleton Recognized as Michigan Bar Foundation Fellow, October 12, 2020
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Fershtman Awarded Additional Super Lawyers Honors in 2020, September 18, 2020