With over a century of combined experience defending workers' compensation claims, we aggressively represent employers, insurance carriers, group funds, and third-party administrators in all phases of the litigation process throughout the State of Michigan. Our clients include Michigan businesses, employers with employees traveling through or injured in Michigan, and Michigan based employers conducting business throughout the world. When collateral issues arise, our clients benefit greatly from the instant access they have to other Foster Swift lawyers, in each of our six offices, who are experts in virtually every other legal discipline.
Our first priority is to provide a thorough and honest appraisal of your case. We work as a team, both internally and with you, to expeditiously and zealously advance your defense. Throughout the process, we will keep you continuously advised of all developments, while aggressively pursuing the most cost effective and favorable outcome possible.
Our reputation is based upon decades of cost effective and aggressive defense throughout the state. We represent employers, third-party administrators and insurance carriers before the Michigan Workers' Compensation Agency and court system on thousands of matters and have a history of great success from the trial stage through the appellate process.
Michigan has recently undergone significant change in the workers' compensation arena. We employ an aggressive internal training program to maintain our high level of expertise. The Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Practice Group is proud to have as part of its team, two adjunct law school professors and a former plaintiff's counsel.
Members of our group are listed in Best Lawyers in America and attorneys in our group have earned the highest ratings from Martindale Hubbell. We are always pleased to have the opportunity to provide educational seminars for our clients to keep them abreast of the evolving legislative changes and developing case law, and to suggest strategic options for claims handling.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Workers' Compensation Law - Employers in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Shumaker v. Meritt Tool & Die & Eugene D. Miller, 2018 Mich App LEXIS 1610 (April 17, 2018) (unpublished).
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- The Difficult Intersection of Workers’ Compensation, FMLA and ADA when an Employee gets Sick or Injured, October 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News, October 1, 2018
- Intentional Tort Exception to Michigan Workers' Compensation Act – Court of Appeals Reaffirms High Standard, May 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits Law News, May 31, 2018
- Are Interns Injured on the Job Entitled to Michigan Workers’ Compensation Benefits?, May 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits Law News, May 29, 2018
- Understanding the Ins and Outs of the “Favored-Work” Doctrine Under Michigan Workers’ Compensation Law, February 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News, January 25, 2018
- Limiting Opioid use in Workers' Compensation Cases, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, November 17, 2016
- Workers' Compensation Facilitation - The New Trial?, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, November 17, 2016
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reiterates That Worker’s Compensation Claims Are the Exclusive Remedy for Injured Employees, Detroit Legal News, May 1, 2018
- Foster Swift Elects Executive Committee Members for 2018, February 13, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- Michael Sanders Elected to College of Workers' Compensation Lawyers, March 23, 2016
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Hiring, Investigating and Discipline/Discharge in the Law, Foster Swift: Developing Labor Law Update, May 9, 2018
- Hiring, Investigating and Discipline/Discharge in the Law, Foster Swift: Developing Labor Law Update, February 7, 2018
- Stop Before You Crash: Workers' Compensation and Employment Law, March 22, 2017