With over a century of combined experience defending workers' compensation claims, we aggressively represent employers, insurance carriers, group funds, and third-party administrators in all phases of the litigation process throughout the State of Michigan. Our clients include Michigan businesses, employers with employees traveling through or injured in Michigan, and Michigan based employers conducting business throughout the world. When collateral issues arise, our clients benefit greatly from the instant access they have to other Foster Swift lawyers, in each of our six offices, who are experts in virtually every other legal discipline.
Our first priority is to provide a thorough and honest appraisal of your case. We work as a team, both internally and with you, to expeditiously and zealously advance your defense. Throughout the process, we will keep you continuously advised of all developments, while aggressively pursuing the most cost effective and favorable outcome possible.
Our reputation is based upon decades of cost effective and aggressive defense throughout the state. We represent employers, third-party administrators and insurance carriers before the Michigan Workers' Compensation Agency and court system on thousands of matters and have a history of great success from the trial stage through the appellate process.
Michigan has recently undergone significant change in the workers' compensation arena. We employ an aggressive internal training program to maintain our high level of expertise. The Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Practice Group is proud to have as part of its team, two adjunct law school professors and a former plaintiff's counsel.
Members of our group are listed in Best Lawyers in America and attorneys in our group have earned the highest ratings from Martindale Hubbell. We are always pleased to have the opportunity to provide educational seminars for our clients to keep them abreast of the evolving legislative changes and developing case law, and to suggest strategic options for claims handling.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Workers' Compensation Law - Employers in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- Shumaker v. Meritt Tool & Die & Eugene D. Miller, 2018 Mich App LEXIS 1610 (April 17, 2018) (unpublished).
Recent Blog Posts
Publications & Alerts
- What is a Good-Faith Job Search Effort? Michigan Legislature Considers New Bill, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, January 4, 2020
- Employee Fraud Not a Condition for an Employer's/Insurer's Recoupment of Overpayment, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, January 3, 2020
- Michigan Considers a Statutory PTSD Presumption Among First Responders, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, January 1, 2020
- The Difficult Intersection of Workers’ Compensation, FMLA and ADA when an Employee gets Sick or Injured, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits News, October 1, 2018
- Intentional Tort Exception to Michigan Workers' Compensation Act – Court of Appeals Reaffirms High Standard, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits Law News, May 31, 2018
- Are Interns Injured on the Job Entitled to Michigan Workers’ Compensation Benefits?, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits Law News, May 29, 2018
- 2019 Comprehensive Guide to Employment Law, National Business Institute (NBI, November 13, 2019
- Your Employee is Hurt, but is it FMLA, ADA or Workers Comp?, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, March 7, 2019
- No, that Employee is NOT an Independent Contractor, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, January 31, 2019
- Hiring, Investigating and Discipline/Discharge in the Law, Foster Swift: Developing Labor Law Update, May 9, 2018
- Hiring, Investigating and Discipline/Discharge in the Law, Foster Swift: Developing Labor Law Update, February 7, 2018
- Can social media posts be used as evidence in defense of a workers’ compensation claim?, Stop Before You Crash: Workers' Compensation and Employment Law, March 22, 2017
- Foster Swift Listed in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" 2020, November 1, 2019
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- Firm Elects Executive Committee Members for 2019, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, March 7, 2019
- Hammond to Deliver Webinars on Important Employment Issues, Ingham County Legal News, January 22, 2019
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reiterates That Worker’s Compensation Claims Are the Exclusive Remedy for Injured Employees, Detroit Legal News, May 1, 2018