A rapidly emerging area of the law, elder law deals with the issues faced senior citizens. Now that people are living longer, there are more issues about their future care that have to be included in estate planning. One of the most important questions that is being raised is how to provide long-term housing, with possibly increasing levels of care, as senior citizens age.
Elder law matters that we routinely provide legal assistance on include:
- Medicaid eligibility planning
- Medicaid applications
- Government benefits analysis
- Planning for children with disabilities
- Creating special needs trusts for persons with disabilities
- Establishing Guardianships and Conservatorships through the probate court
One of the most important factors in elder law is advanced planning. Often qualification for government programs have lengthy time prerequisites that must be met prior to receiving benefits. It is important to start considering these factors when you start working with an attorney to develop your estate plan.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Elder Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Recent Blog Posts
- Worried About Nursing Homes? Consider This
- Four Tips to Remember When Selecting a Caregiver or Assisted Living
- Power of Attorney: Who Needs One?
- Recognizing and Living with Alzheimer’s
- Helping my Aging Parents Pay for Care
- Tips for Avoiding Conflict with Family
- An Introduction to Medicaid
- Financial Elder Abuse: Awareness and Prevention
- Are Reverse Mortgages Wise for Seniors?
- Three Concerns for Your Estate
Publications & Alerts
- The Paralegal's Role in An Elder Law Practice, NALA Facts & Findings, Fall 2015
- Why Senior Adults Need Elder Law Attorneys, NALA Facts & Findings, Fall 2015
- How to Make Your Eventual Executor Less Stressed Out, go60.us, April 3, 2015
- Separate Trusts? It's Both Complicated and Crucial - Be Sure You Understand What You Need, go60.us, February 10, 2015
- Estate Planning For The Senior Adult, Foster Swift Estate Planning Insights, Summer 2012
- Trusts 101: Estate Planning for the Disabled, November 14, 2018
- Trusts 101: Grantor Trusts and Ethics, National Business Institute (NBI), November 14, 2018
- ADMINISTERING THE ESTATE EFFECTIVELY and MAINTAINING AN ETHICAL BALANCE IN PROBATE PRACTICE, Probate Process from Start to Finish (NBI), October 16, 2018
- Step by Step Guide to Drafting Wills and Trusts, National Business Institute (NBI), September 13, 2018
- Probate Process from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, May 4, 2018
- Estate Planning Seminar, Michigan Farm Bureau, January 27, 2015 & February 4, 2015
- Elder Law Institute, National Association of Legal Assistants, July 2014
- Foster Swift Elects New Shareholders, Lansing Regional Chamber, January 21, 2019
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- E-book Covers Estate Planning Essentials, October 31, 2018
- Foster Swift Launches Elder Law Blog, May 23, 2018
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Foster Swift Launches New Michigan Senior Law Blog, October 14, 2014