Minors and Health Care
Michigan Medical Billers Association - Lansing ChapterOctober 12, 2011
THE PRESENTATION COVERS THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:
- Consent for treatment - Who can (and cannot) consent to the medical treatment of minors?
- Treatment w/o parent – When can minors get treatment without parental consent or involvement?
- Informed Consent - At what age can a minor give informed consent?
- Release of information - Who is entitled to review or receive a minor's medical records?
- Privacy - When can a provider refuse to release a minor's medical information?
- Record Retention - How long must a provider retain a minor's medical records?
- Abuse Reporting Requirements - Who must report suspected child abuse and what actions must be taken?
- Financial - What government health care benefits are available to minors?
- Payment for Services - Who is responsible for paying for a minor's medical treatment in divorce situations?