Foster Swift attorneys have extensive experience in the areas of libel, invasion of privacy, state and federal freedom of information acts, open meeting acts and newsroom counseling. We represented several Michigan daily papers on a wide variety of media matters, including First Amendment, business and advertising issues. The firm has represented The Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, and WILX-TV 10. The firm also represented The New York Times and Dow Jones Communications in federal court during a dispute over access to federal court records in a hostile takeover attempt.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Litigation – First Amendment in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014, 2021 and 2023.
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2023, Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms", November 3, 2022
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2022, Best Lawyers in America, November 5, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Smith to Receive SBM Outstanding Achievement Award, July 20, 2020
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015