The nation’s financial and real estate markets have undergone dramatic changes in recent years. Foster Swift has helped clients stay ahead of the curve as they face new challenges.
Understanding that the finance and real estate industries often cross paths, we have developed a comprehensive group to better assist clients with their legal needs.
As a full-service practice, Foster Swift's Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group has successfully counseled financial institutions, businesses, insurance companies and individuals for more than 100 combined years. The group's reputation for excellence has been recognized by peer-reviewed publications such as Michigan Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. Foster Swift has also been named a Tier 1 firm in Real Estate Law and Banking and Finance Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2023.
Whether you are a lender or a company with financing needs, the Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group handles related issues for a wide variety of businesses. Among the services provided are:
- Asset recovery, preferences and lien avoidance actions
- Financial transactions
- Real Estate transactions
- Counsel and guidance to financial institutions on regulatory compliance issues
- Bankruptcy, workouts and receiverships
- Bank Mergers & Acquisitions
- Collection, foreclosure, forfeiture actions, eviction proceedings and claim and delivery actions
- Loan transactions for lenders and borrowers
- Land division and zoning issues
- Site condominiums, mixed use condominiums, condominium conversions, and condominiums within condominiums
- Construction law matters including construction contracts, construction lien actions, and related litigation
- Environmental due diligence and Brownfield funding agreements
- Resolution of title disputes, title examinations, and title insurance claims
- Real estate brokerage law and property management contracts
Foster Swift has also represented property owners, builders, developers, and property management companies in legal proceedings throughout Michigan. Our attorneys have appeared in municipal and state administrative agencies and divisions, district and circuit courts, as well as in various courts of appeal.
Affordability and connections
Clients appreciate the value and results-oriented attitude we offer. By working closely with clients, we are able to customize fee arrangements that help meet their budget parameters. This allows us to provide the highest level of legal service at the lowest reasonable cost.
Our clients also rely on the professional working relationships our attorneys have developed with many key government and executive branch decision-makers, including state and federal financial institution regulators.
In short, Foster Swift provides comprehensive legal services to clients in banking, finance and real estate. Both institutional and individual clients benefit from the firm’s deep experience, knowledge of the law and reputation for outstanding attention to service.
Recent Blog Posts
- U.S. Court of Appeals Issues Important Ruling on Time Limits to Sue Under Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Federal Trade Commission Issues Sweeping Proposed Rule to Prohibit Noncompete Agreements
- The Impact of Michigan’s Uniform Assignment of Rents Act on Tenants’ Rights
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Holding that Contributions to a 401(k) Plan Made More than Six Months Prior to Bankruptcy Cannot be Excluded from Disposable Income
- Sixth Circuit Upholds Chapter 13 Debtor’s Right to Request and Receive Dismissal of Bankruptcy Case
- Supreme Court Holds that “Mere Retention” of Estate Property After Bankruptcy Filing Doesn't Violate the Automatic Stay
- Michigan Updates and Expands its Receivership Act
- Sixth Circuit Rules that Monthly 401(k) Contributions can be Excluded from “Projected Disposable Income” Under a Chapter 13 Plan
- Who is a “Non-Statutory Insider” for Purposes of Determining Whether a Payment Was Preferential in Bankruptcy?
- A Guide to the Employee Retention Tax Credit: An Alternative to the PPP
Publications & Alerts
- What are the Different Types of Easements?, Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, June 28, 2023
- Using Low-Cost DIY Legal Services: Risks Far Outweigh Benefits, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, January 24, 2023
- How to Handle Bankruptcy Amid Record Levels of Debt in the Farm Industry, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 17, 2022
- Evicting a Tenant in Michigan: Tips for First-Time Commercial Landlords, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, April 25, 2022
- Tips for First-Time Commercial Real Estate Landlords, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, April 1, 2022
- The Significance of the Consolidated Appropriations Act for Bankruptcy Trustees, Thomson Reuters WestLaw Today, July 27, 2021
- How do Businesses get Ready for the Upcoming Corporate Transparency Act?, Foster Swift Second Wednesday Lunch Break, March 8, 2023
- Policy & Regulatory Education Series: Corporate Transparency Act, Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, February 7, 2023
- What Does 2022 Hold for Employers?, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, January 12, 2022
- Bankruptcy Notice: All is Not Lost—How to get Money Out of a Bankruptcy?, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, November 10, 2021
- Data Privacy: Shifting Focus From Preventing to Preparing, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, October 13, 2021
- Case Law Update, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, September 24, 2021
- Restaurant, Hotel and Other Hospitality Issues, Federal Bar Association's Bankruptcy Seminar, September 24, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named 2024 Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in America, August 17, 2023
- Titus Announced as "Go-To Lawyer" in Commercial Real Estate, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, June 20, 2023
- Hamor Named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, February 15, 2023
- Foster Swift Elects Three New Shareholders, Ingham County Legal News, January 30, 2023
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2023, Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms", November 3, 2022
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named 2023 Best Lawyers in America©, Best Lawyers in America, August 18, 2022
- 21 Attorneys Selected to 2022 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 12, 2022