The nation’s financial and real estate markets have undergone dramatic changes in recent years. Foster Swift has helped clients stay ahead of the curve as they face new challenges.
Understanding that the finance and real estate industries often cross paths, we have developed a comprehensive group to better assist clients with their legal needs.
As a full-service practice, Foster Swift's Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group has successfully counseled financial institutions, businesses, insurance companies and individuals for more than 100 combined years. The group's reputation for excellence has been recognized by peer-reviewed publications such as Michigan Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. Foster Swift has also been named a Tier 1 firm in Real Estate Law and Banking and Finance Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Whether you are a lender or a company with financing needs, the Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group handles related issues for a wide variety of businesses. Among the services provided are:
- Asset recovery, preferences and lien avoidance actions
- Financial transactions
- Real Estate transactions
- Counsel and guidance to financial institutions on regulatory compliance issues
- Bankruptcy, workouts and receiverships
- Bank Mergers & Acquisitions
- Collection, foreclosure, forfeiture actions, eviction proceedings and claim and delivery actions
- Loan transactions for lenders and borrowers
- Land division and zoning issues
- Site condominiums, mixed use condominiums, condominium conversions, and condominiums within condominiums
- Construction law matters including construction contracts, construction lien actions, and related litigation
- Environmental due diligence and Brownfield funding agreements
- Resolution of title disputes, title examinations, and title insurance claims
- Real estate brokerage law and property management contracts
Foster Swift has also represented property owners, builders, developers, and property management companies in legal proceedings throughout Michigan. Our attorneys have appeared in municipal and state administrative agencies and divisions, district and circuit courts, as well as in various courts of appeal.
Affordability and connections
Clients appreciate the value and results-oriented attitude we offer. By working closely with clients, we are able to customize fee arrangements that help meet their budget parameters. This allows us to provide the highest level of legal service at the lowest reasonable cost.
Our clients also rely on the professional working relationships our attorneys have developed with many key government and executive branch decision-makers, including state and federal financial institution regulators.
In short, Foster Swift provides comprehensive legal services to clients in banking, finance and real estate. Both institutional and individual clients benefit from the firm’s deep experience, knowledge of the law and reputation for outstanding attention to service.
Recent Blog Posts
- Supreme Court Decides that Law Firms Engaged in Non-Judicial Foreclosure Proceedings are Not Debt Collectors Under the FDCPA
- Chapter 7 Debtors Permitted to Amend Schedules to Claim Homestead Exemption after Successful Avoidance Action by Trustee
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds that Debtor’s False Oral Statement Concerning Single Asset Does not Provide Basis for Non-dischargeability Action
- Michigan House Considers Bills Proposing Adoption of the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act
- Can Same-Sex Couples Own Real Property as Tenants by the Entirety in Michigan?
- Bankruptcy Court Denies Creditors Request for Relief from Automatic Stay to Arbitrate its Claims and Progress Setoff and Recoupment Rights
- Supreme Court Rules that Debt Collector’s Attempt to Collect Time Barred Claim in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case Does not Violate Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Reserve it or Lose it: Sixth Circuit BAP Reverses Bankruptcy Court on Issue of Whether Trustee Abandoned Asset in Chapter 7 Case
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Decision to Deny Chapter 7 Debtor’s Proposed Exemption Because She Lacked Equity in Property After a Sale
- District Court Affirms that Civil Fraud Penalties are Nondischargeable in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Cases
Publications & Alerts
- Don't Overlook Legal Counsel When Addressing Agribusiness Financial Challenges, July 31, 2019
- Beyond the Basics: Impact and Enforceability of Jury Waivers and Arbitration Provisions in Commercial Leases, February 2019 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, February 25, 2019
- A Systematic Plan for Debt Collection, February 2019 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, February 18, 2019
- Plan Now for a Prosperous 2019, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 20, 2018
- Beyond the Basics - Commercial Leases From a Tenant’s Perspective, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 9, 2018
- When an Inheritance Gets Entangled in a Bankruptcy Proceeding, Smart Estate Planning Can Help, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, October 31, 2018
- Current Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Topics and Issues, BANKRUPTCY BEST PRACTICES SEMINAR 2018, October 16, 2018
- Recent Decisions Impacting Bankruptcy Practice in the Western District of Michigan, Federal Bar Association, August 1, 2015
- Bankruptcy 101, NALS of Lansing, June 10, 2015
- What Every Treasurer Should Know About Bankruptcy, Livingston County Treasurers' Association, June 9, 2015
- Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Practice, Federal Bar Association, April 30, 2015
- WEBINAR | The Borrower in Bankruptcy: Top 10 Mistakes Banks & Lenders Make in Consumer Bankruptcy Cases, Foster Swift, April 28, 2015
- What Every Treasurer Should Know About Bankruptcy, Bay County Treasurers' Association, April 21, 2015
- Foster Swift Announces Women in Leadership, Michigan Business Network, June 5, 2019
- Scott Appointed Legal Counsel for Lansing Regional Chamber, April 10, 2019
- Scott Appointed to the FBA Bankruptcy Steering Committee, January 23, 2019
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- Foster Swift Welcomes Four Attorneys, November 2, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017