The nation’s financial and real estate markets have undergone dramatic changes in recent years. Foster Swift has helped clients stay ahead of the curve as they face new challenges.
Understanding that the finance and real estate industries often cross paths, we have developed a comprehensive group to better assist clients with their legal needs.
As a full-service practice, Foster Swift's Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group has successfully counseled financial institutions, businesses, insurance companies and individuals for more than 100 combined years. The group's reputation for excellence has been recognized by peer-reviewed publications such as Michigan Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. Foster Swift has also been named a Tier 1 firm in Real Estate Law and Banking and Finance Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Whether you are a lender or a company with financing needs, the Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group handles related issues for a wide variety of businesses. Among the services provided are:
- Asset recovery, preferences and lien avoidance actions
- Financial transactions
- Real Estate transactions
- Counsel and guidance to financial institutions on regulatory compliance issues
- Bankruptcy, workouts and receiverships
- Bank Mergers & Acquisitions
- Collection, foreclosure, forfeiture actions, eviction proceedings and claim and delivery actions
- Loan transactions for lenders and borrowers
- Land division and zoning issues
- Site condominiums, mixed use condominiums, condominium conversions, and condominiums within condominiums
- Construction law matters including construction contracts, construction lien actions, and related litigation
- Environmental due diligence and Brownfield funding agreements
- Resolution of title disputes, title examinations, and title insurance claims
- Real estate brokerage law and property management contracts
Foster Swift has also represented property owners, builders, developers, and property management companies in legal proceedings throughout Michigan. Our attorneys have appeared in municipal and state administrative agencies and divisions, district and circuit courts, as well as in various courts of appeal.
Affordability and connections
Clients appreciate the value and results-oriented attitude we offer. By working closely with clients, we are able to customize fee arrangements that help meet their budget parameters. This allows us to provide the highest level of legal service at the lowest reasonable cost.
Our clients also rely on the professional working relationships our attorneys have developed with many key government and executive branch decision-makers, including state and federal financial institution regulators.
In short, Foster Swift provides comprehensive legal services to clients in banking, finance and real estate. Both institutional and individual clients benefit from the firm’s deep experience, knowledge of the law and reputation for outstanding attention to service.
Recent Blog Posts
- A Guide to the Employee Retention Tax Credit: An Alternative to the PPP
- Michigan Updates and Expands its Receivership Act
- Sixth Circuit Rules that Monthly 401(k) Contributions can be Excluded from “Projected Disposable Income” Under a Chapter 13 Plan
- Who is a “Non-Statutory Insider” for Purposes of Determining Whether a Payment Was Preferential in Bankruptcy?
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules that Order Granting or Denying Request for Relief from Automatic Stay is Final Order that is Immediately Appealable
- Supreme Court Decides that Law Firms Engaged in Non-Judicial Foreclosure Proceedings are Not Debt Collectors Under the FDCPA
- Chapter 7 Debtors Permitted to Amend Schedules to Claim Homestead Exemption after Successful Avoidance Action by Trustee
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds that Debtor’s False Oral Statement Concerning Single Asset Does not Provide Basis for Non-dischargeability Action
- Michigan House Considers Bills Proposing Adoption of the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act
- Can Same-Sex Couples Own Real Property as Tenants by the Entirety in Michigan?
Publications & Alerts
- COVID-19 Stimulus: PPP 2.0 and Other Relief for Small Businesses, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, December 29, 2020
- What to Know When Your Customer Files for Bankruptcy, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 17, 2020
- MDHHS Director Updates and Expands Emergency Order, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, October 9, 2020
- How Do Recent Michigan Supreme Court and MDHHS Orders Regarding COVID-19 Impact Employers?, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, October 6, 2020
- Commercial Real Estate: Dealing with the Ongoing Impact of COVID-19, Foster Swift Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, October 5, 2020
- MDHHS Revives Face Mask Requirement, Gathering Limits, and Bar Restrictions through Emergency Order, Foster Swift Coronavirus Resource Page and Eblast, October 5, 2020
- What Happens If MIOSHA Shows Up?, Foster Swift, January 13, 2021
- Consumer Case Law Update, American Bankruptcy Institute: Consumer Bankruptcy Forum, November 11, 2020
- The Current Status of COVID Orders in Michigan, Foster Swift, November 11, 2020
- Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, Foster Swift, October 14, 2020
- Commercial Real Estate Concerns in the new COVID Environment, Foster Swift, September 9, 2020
- Creative Collections, Foster Swift Morning Break, July 8, 2020
- The PPP Loan Forgiveness Form is Out: Next Steps to Ensure Forgiveness for your PPP Loan, Foster Swift, May 21, 2020
- Virtual Event: Minimizing Cybersecurity Risks for Remote Working, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, December 1, 2020
- Resource Published to Help Organizations Link to Trending Legal Issues, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, November 17, 2020
- Foster Swift Listed in "Best Law Firms" 2021, Best Lawyers, November 5, 2020
- The Benefits of Chapter 11 During Pandemic under Small Business Reorganization Act, MiBiz, November 2, 2020
- SBA Will Issue Questionnaires to Borrowers of $2 Million or More in PPP Loans, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, October 30, 2020
- Hogan Covers Bankruptcy in Wake of COVID, October 6, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Lawyer of the Year", August 20, 2020
View 2nd Wednesday Morning Sessions
- What Happens If MIOSHA Shows Up? - Cliff Hammond, Patricia Scott 01/13/21
- Current Status of COVID Orders in Michigan - Matt Fedor, Cliff Hammond and Patricia Scott 11/11/20
- "Your Customer Filed Bankruptcy - What's Next? - Scott Hogan and Patricia Scott - 10/14/20
- "Commercial Real Estate Concerns in the COVID Environment" - Rob Hamor and Patricia Scott - 9/9/20
- "What Condo Unit Owners and Buyers Need to Know" - Stephen Smith and Patricia Scott - 8/12/20
- "Creative Collections" - Deanna Swisher and Patricia Scott - 7/8/20