Taylor Gast helps businesses and business-owners solve problems as a member of Foster Swift's Business and Tax practice group. He provides practical advice on issues including information privacy and cybersecurity, mergers and acquisitions, taxation, employee benefits, contracting, and technology law.
As outside counsel to businesses, Taylor possesses a talent for identifying and mitigating risks associated with data security incidents and breaches, internal policies and practices, and data sharing arrangements with third parties. He frequently works with businesses to respond to data breaches affecting millions of individuals pursuant to state, federal and international laws and regulations. He has helped countless companies track and respond to emerging trends in data privacy and cybersecurity, and frequently assists them in consistently communicating with customers, employees, investigators, states' attorneys general, and regulatory agencies like the FTC after a data privacy incident occurs. Taylor regularly speaks and publishes on the topic of data privacy and cybersecurity, as well as many other business law issues.
Taylor enjoys working with businesses of all sizes, and at all stages of development. As a member of Foster Swift's SEED group, Taylor helps entrepreneurs grow their ideas and plan for the future. As a business grows and its needs change, the breadth and depth of Taylor's business law expertise provides companies with value in state and local tax issues, contracting law, employee benefits and incentives, technology law, and mergers and acquisitions.
Taylor earned a juris doctorate from the University of Illinois, magna cum laude and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Michigan.
Taylor enjoys being an active member of the greater Lansing community. He serves on the board for the Arts Council of Greater Lansing, Impression 5 Science Center, and the Michigan IT Network.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Technology Network—Lansing
- Arts Council of Greater Lansing
- Impression 5 Science Center
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- California Enacts Sweeping Privacy Legislation
- Cybersecurity Concerns in Health Care
- GDPR Has Arrived and My Company Isn't Ready. Now What?
- Potential $13.5 Million Uber Fine Highlights the Importance of Risk-Based Breach Response
- Make Sure Your Holiday Gifts Don’t Get You Fined
- Are Ransomware Payments Tax Deductible?
- #Sponsored: What Social Media Influencers Need to Know to Remain Compliant with the FTC
- Two Stars?! What can my Business do in Response to Negative Reviews?
Tax Law Blog
- States will Collect Sales Tax from Out-of-State Companies Without Physical Presence Under Groundbreaking Supreme Court Decision, September 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, June 26, 2018
- As Public Pension Plan Funding Continues to Decline, Employers Explore Other Options, May 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News E-blast, May 30, 2018
- Tax Return Scam Alert: Updates for 2018, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News E-Blast, February 22, 2018
- Business Lessons Learned from the Equifax Breach: Week Two, Business & Corporate September 2017 E-Blast, September 25, 2017
- Hacked: Equifax Breach Leaves Millions of Consumers Vulnerable, Business & Corporate September 2017 E-Blast, September 8, 2017
- It's Not 'If', It's 'When', Greater Lansing Business Monthly, August 8, 2017
News & Events
- Foster Swift Attorneys to Present Accelerator Award at CMU Competition, April 9, 2018
- Foster Swift Welcomes Four New Attorneys, December 7, 2015
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2015, magna cum laude
University of Michigan, B.A. Political Science, 2010
Bar and Court Admissions