Taylor Gast helps businesses and business-owners solve problems as a member of Foster Swift's Business and Corporate practice group. He first came to the firm as a summer associate and returned after graduating from law school. Taylor focuses on areas relating to business formation, business transactions, taxation, technology law and employee benefits. Among other topics, Taylor is familiar with rules relating to hedge fund investments by qualified retirement plans.
Taylor is constantly focused on helping others and becoming a better advisor. He graduated from the University of Illinois College of Law after earning academic honors. He was an associate editor of the Illinois Law Review, a Legal Writing and Analysis teaching assistant, and vice president of the Corporate and Business Law Association. Taylor also represented and advocated for homeowners facing foreclosure through Illinois' Community Preservation Clinic. As a law student, he was an extern at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Taylor earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan where he fundraised for several charities and also was a rank leader in the Michigan Marching Band trombone section.
Outside of the office, Taylor remains involved in the community through volunteer work, tutoring, and other endeavors. Prior to law school, he was a grant writer for a nonprofit organization that teaches job readiness skills to youth.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Technology Network—Lansing
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- Are Ransomware Payments Tax Deductible?
- #Sponsored: What Social Media Influencers Need to Know to Remain Compliant with the FTC
- Two Stars?! What can my Business do in Response to Negative Reviews?
- HHS Office for Civil Rights Publishes Checklist for HIPAA Covered Entities Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents
- FAA Drone Registration Rule Struck Down
- Border Searches May Compromise the Privacy and Security of Company Technology
- 5 Tips for Investigating and Purchasing Cyber Insurance
- Assembling Your Company's Data Breach Response Plan
- Update: Lansing Cyberattack Underscores Need for Cyber Insurance Coverage
- Lawsuits Encouraged by Sixth Circuit Decision Where Customer and Employee Sensitive Data Breached
- Business Lessons Learned from the Equifax Breach: Week Two, Business & Corporate September 2017 E-Blast, September 25, 2017
- Hacked: Equifax Breach Leaves Millions of Consumers Vulnerable, Business & Corporate September 2017 E-Blast, September 8, 2017
- It's Not 'If', It's 'When', Greater Lansing Business Monthly, August 8, 2017
- Sixth Circuit Decision Encourages Lawsuits by Customers and Employees Affected by Data Breaches, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, October 31, 2016
- The Real Reasons Courts Pierce the Corporate Veil – How to Avoid Putting Your Personal Assets at Risk, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, September 30, 2016
- Protecting Your Business: The Importance of Record Retention Policies, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, July 28, 2016
News & Events
- Foster Swift Welcomes Four New Attorneys, December 7, 2015
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2015, magna cum laude
University of Michigan, B.A. Political Science, 2010
Bar and Court Admissions