For the past 40 years Foster, Swift, Collins & Smith, P.C. has had a very active and dynamic ERISA practice which is highlighted below.
We are responsible for the design and ongoing compliance matters for approximately 400 qualified plans including approximately 370 defined contribution and 30 defined benefit plans. The vast majority of the defined contribution plans are governed by Code Section 401(k). The plans range from small plans (under 100 participants) to plans covering thousands of employees. Some of the plans are collectively bargained, others are non-union plans, and some plans cover both union and non-union employees.
Many of our qualified plan clients also look to Foster Swift to design and draft non-qualified executive deferred compensation arrangements, bonus programs, severance benefit plans and welfare benefit plans, including VEBAs, reimbursement plans, retiree health plans and health plans for active employees. We also address COBRA issues and cafeteria plan issues.
We represent hundreds of employers regarding ERISA matters. Examples include:
- We provide employee benefits advice and related tax advice to a large insurance company that has operations in many states. Our work includes 401(k) and 409A plans covering many thousands of individuals, as well as welfare benefits work.
- We provide employee benefits and related tax advice to a large public institution of higher education. Our work includes multiple defined contribution plans and 409A plans covering more than 15,000 individuals, as well as welfare benefits work.
- We provide employee benefits and related tax advice to a large healthcare system. Our work includes defined benefit and defined contribution plans covering many thousands of individuals, as well as welfare benefits work.
- We represent employers in contested matters involving ERISA.
Recent Blog Posts
- New Safe Harbor Announced for Electronic Disclosures Required by ERISA
- Benefit Plans Established by Church Affiliates Are Exempt From ERISA
- Federal District Court Vacates New Association Health Plan Rules
- ERISA Challenge to Michigan’s Health Insurance Claims Tax is Rejected
- 401(k) Tax Notices must be updated for Tax Reform
Publications & Alerts
- Fiduciary Basics for Benefits Plans, Business & Tax Law News E-blast, July 27, 2020
- DOL and IRS Extend Welfare Plan Deadlines, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News E-blast, May 11, 2020
- Employee Benefit Options in a Time of Crisis, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, April 1, 2020
- New Retirement Plan Disclosure Option, Employee Benefits Law Update E-blast, December 1, 2019
- The Ninth Circuit Questions the Sixth Circuit's Understanding of "Actual Knowledge" in ERISA Statute of Limitations Decision, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, December 13, 2018
- New Disability Claims Procedures Take Effect on April 1st, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, March 12, 2018
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Ones to Watch", August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Listed in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" 2020, November 1, 2019
- Foster Swift Rated Tier 1 in 27 Practice Areas in Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms", November 1, 2018
- Attorney Howard Named to Novi Planning Commission, Detroit Legal News, January 19, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017