Robert Hamor provides value-added representation for clients in the areas of for-profit and non-profit corporate transactions and governance, commercial real estate, and related litigation matters. Known for his responsiveness and no-nonsense advice, Robert zealously represents his clients relating to:
- the formation, governance, and development of businesses entities;
- contract negotiation, drafting, implementation, and enforcement;
- real estate matters such as leases, purchase agreements, environmental compliance, and enforcement of property-related contracts;
- construction contracts and disputes;
- government compliance in regulated industries;
- employment issues;
- and buying and selling businesses.
Robert graduated in the top 3% of his class from Western Michigan University - Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Magna Cum Laude, with multiple certificates of achievement. Robert was a guest speaker at the 2011 American Bar Association Mid-Year Event lecturing on the housing crisis and its effects on communities of color, and was the co-author of several publications and amici briefs including Ter Beek v. Wyoming, a case involving the interplay of zoning ordinances and the emerging field of medical marijuana.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Robert was involved with and ran several real estate and finance companies with a focus on commercial real estate transactions. This real-world experience enables Robert to understand the practical needs of his clients while protecting them from legal – and practical – pitfalls.
Honors & Recognitions
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2017-2018
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Inns of Court
- Represented commercial sewing facility in acquiring new property while resolving border disputes with prior owners/neighbors.
- Represented manufacturing company in acquiring new facilities with while limiting exposure for prior environmental contamination risks.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of an insurance broker relating to the embezzlement of funds by third parties thereby lowering exposure from nearly $1,000,000 to approximately $10,000.
- Corporate counsel for a facilities management company dealing with various matters including sales tax disputes in more than 40 states, contract drafting and enforcement, and various litigation matters.
- Successfully represented creditors in bankruptcy to recover collateral and further acquire the remaining assets of the bankrupt entity through a successful stalking horse bid.
- Corporate counsel for a Family Qualified Health Center providing medical services to thousands of patients in Oakland County.
- Obtained successful resolution for a commissioned salesperson in parallel Federal and State litigation relating to harassment and breach of contract/non-compete agreements.
- Corporate counsel for various construction companies dealing with commercial and residential construction liens, contract negotiation and drafting, Miller Act claims, and supplier and union disputes.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Labor & Employment Law Blog
- Beyond the Basics: How to Minimize Risk from Tenants when Mortgaging Leased Commercial Property, May 2019 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, May 21, 2019
- Beyond the Basics: Impact and Enforceability of Jury Waivers and Arbitration Provisions in Commercial Leases, February 2019 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, February 25, 2019
- Beyond the Basics - Commercial Leases From a Tenant’s Perspective, November 2018 Finance Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, November 9, 2018
- Detroit Landlords and Enforcement of the City’s Inspection Ordinance, September 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News, September 24, 2018
News & Events
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Foster Swift Southfield Office Has Second Growth Spurt, September 18, 2017
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
Walsh College, B.A.
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan