Scott Hogan practices in the areas of real estate, business law, receiverships, and bankruptcy. Specifically, this includes:
- Real Estate:Handles sales, purchases, leases, condominiums, evictions, easements and all related real estate litigation.
- Business Law: Establishes new entities, assists with sales and purchases of companies, contracts, collections and litigation.
- Receivership: Represents receivers in state and federal courts, assists with asset sales, fraud investigations, asset recovery and all other aspects of receiverships.
- Bankruptcy: Represents trustees, creditors, and debtors in all aspects of bankruptcy.
Prior to joining Foster Swift, Scott was a shareholder with Tolley VandenBosch Korolewicz & Brengle, P.C., when it joined with Foster Swift.
Through the years, Scott's expertise in the bankruptcy and creditor rights area has been recognized by legal leaders and peers. He is listed in Best Lawyer in America as well as Michigan Super Lawyers in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtors rights. Also, he was selected to author the Bankruptcy Chapter in Michigan Basic Practice Handbook published by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Additionally, he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Scott is also very involved in the community as a member of the Grand Rapids Bar Association, where he currently serves on the Pro Bono Committee and the Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Michigan. He previously served as the president of the Forest Hills Park Association and a member of the Board of Managers for the Southeast YMCA.
Honors & Recognitions
BV® Distinguished™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2018 (Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganizaiton Law; Litigation- Bankruptcy)
2012 Best Lawyers® Bankruptcy Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Grand Rapids
Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2014 (Bankruptcy: Business)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
Industry & Professional Associations:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Testified in 2017 before the Judiciary Committee of the Michigan House of Representatives regarding a pending bill to adopt the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act
- Assisted receiver in sales of car washes, mobile home parks, and other assets.
- Assisted receiver in a major embezzlement case at a title company. Recovered assets and made almost 100 percent distribution to creditors.
- Represented a construction company in a roof collapse matter where the case against our client was dismissed.
- Represented the purchaser of six commercial buildings in a total $15 million transaction.
- Regularly represents bankruptcy trustees in collection of preferences and fraudulent conveyances.
- Assisted municipality with multi-million dollar bond issuance to fund water and sewer improvements.
- Prepared and assisted in numerous installment purchase agreements for municipalities.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Bankruptcy Blog
- Our Bond Counsel Practice: How We Serve Townships, April 2018 Municipal Law News, April 24, 2018
- Governor Signs Bill Adopting the Uniform Commercial Real Estate Receivership Act, February 2018 Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law News E-blast, February 7, 2018
- What Happens When a Landowner Encroaches Upon Public Property?, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, June 8, 2017
- Receivers in Divorce Cases, Michigan Bar Journal, July 2015
- Zoning and the Fifth Amendment: When do Zoning Regulations “Go Too Far”?, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate and Bankruptcy News, March 6, 2015
- Michigan Receivership Rules Get a Tune-Up, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, August 26, 2014
News & Events
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 5, 2014
- 45 Foster Swift attorneys named to 2015 Best Lawyers in America® roster, August 19, 2014
- Thirty-one Foster Swift Attorneys included in Super Lawyers for 2013, September 6, 2013
- Forty-five Foster Swift Attorneys included in Best Lawyers in America®, August 15, 2013
- Foster Swift attorneys selected as Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 6, 2012
- Michigan Judicial Institute’s Business Court Judicial Seminar, May 24, 2018
- USDA Rural Development Bond Projects, Macomb County Treasurer's Association Meeting, May 16, 2017
- Financial Institution Law
- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Entity Selection, Organization & Planning
- Real Estate Law
- Public Finance - Bond
- Municipal Law
- Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Law
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Litigation
- Startup Entrepreneurial Emerging Development (S.E.E.D)
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1988, Order of the Coif
Michigan State University, B.A., 1983, with Honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals