One of the most important decisions an entrepreneur can make is to focus intently (at the earliest stages of a business startup) on the legal issues that impact success. From corporate formation to fundraising, intellectual property to exits, the legal foundation laid from the outset can help a business to accelerate growth and increase its options down the road.
Foster Swifts' SEED group is a trusted partner that provides practical legal advice to entrepreneurs. Like our clients, we are focused on innovation and efficiency in the development of legal strategies and delivery of legal services.
This practice is comprised of a core group of attorneys with legal and business expertise in a wide variety of industries including technology, healthcare, agri-business and manufacturing. We have helped hundreds of entrepreneurs select the proper entity structure, raise millions in financing and navigate the other stages of the business life cycle. Our approach is to first deeply understand our clients' long-term business goals and then empower them to make smart, strategic decisions that further their objectives.
We know entrepreneurs and emerging companies face unique legal challenges. Foster Swift's SEED group is dedicated to helping our clients address those challenges in an productive and cost effective manner. Our expertise includes:
- Entity Selection. The importance of selecting the correct entity structure is vital and influences taxes, potential personal liability and the ability (ease) to raise outside funding. We offer flat-fee entity formation packages – from LLCs (both single and multiple member) to corporations. Our packages include initial consultations, entity formation documents and a subsequent "check-up" meeting. Our flat-fee packages are unmatched in the combination of quality services offered and low fees.
- Financing (Private Placements). Entrepreneurs and startups need money to grow. Often, entrepreneurs and startups offer a stake in their company to raise needed funds. We have the business and legal experience to successfully guide our clients through the financing process. From compliance with federal and state securities laws to the structuring of an attractive offering, we have the experience to help our clients meet their needs in a cost-effective manner.
- Intellectual Property. Intellectual property (IP) is the life blood of many entrepreneurs and startups. We regularly assist our clients in obtaining and protecting patents, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets, and copyrights. Click here for additional information on Foster Swift's IP services.
- Employee Incentives. Successful startups are driven by strong employees. Incentive compensation is often used as a means to attract and retain those key employees. Foster Swift's SEED group has attorneys with significant experience in structuring and implementing incentive programs – including incentive stock option plans (ISOs), phantom stock plans, LLC profits interest plans, and more.
- Exits. Most entrepreneurs have the goal of building and then making a financially successful exit from the business. Foster Swift's SEED group has the knowledge and experience to assist with this process. Whether the exit is a merger, stock sale, asset sale or other structure, we have considerable experience in successfully guiding our clients through the process.
Foster Swift's SEED group also regularly works with venture capital firms. From fund formation to acquisition of portfolio companies, we have experience in representing venture capital and private equity investment funds in all phases of their life cycle.
Recent Blog Posts
- Do I Need a Private Placement Memorandum to Raise Investment Capital?
- Business Rap: Investing in Single-Family Homes
- Forming a start-up venture with others? Consider a Founders' Agreement.
- How Are Foreign Entrepreneurs Affected by the Delay of the International Entrepreneur Rule?
- How does the "Hire American" portion of the "Buy American, Hire American" Executive Order impact H-1B visa applicants and start-up businesses?
- Big Data and Building the Right Team as an Entrepreneur, mConnexions: Expert Connexions, March 22, 2021
- The Past and Future of Equity Crowdfunding, Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers (GCEC) Conference, October 19, 2018
- Nows Speaks on Equity Crowdfunding at GCEC Conference, October 10, 2018
- Foster Swift Attorneys to Present Accelerator Award at CMU Competition, April 9, 2018
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to Leadership Positions with State Bar of Michigan ACES Section, Southfield Chamber of Commerce, October 12, 2017
- Foster Swift Business Attorneys Release an Six Additional Legal Basics Videos, March 23, 2016