The attorneys at Foster Swift have decades of experience in the food, hospitality and alcohol industry. The attorneys in this practice group represent clients involved in the restaurant business, hotel business, and alcohol industry throughout Michigan and the U.S.
Foster Swift attorneys handle the establishment of business entities used in connection with the ownership of alcohol-licensed businesses, the acquisition and sale of these business entities (franchised and independently owned), related real estate issues, including local zoning issues, tax and estate planning issues involved in establishing and operating these business entities, and the application process with the Michigan Liquor Control Commission, as well as local units of government.
After liquor license acquisition, attorneys in the Food, Hospitality, and Alcohol Industry Services Section often continue their representation of clients who are subject to liquor law violations. This practice group is also very involved in the planning, zoning and construction phases of a business establishment, when necessary, and with employer-employee relations, health and food safety requirements, general litigation, commercial litigation, and products liability defense matters.
The attorneys also represent the independently owned restaurants, multi-unit and national restaurant clients (franchisors and franchisees), grocery stores, convenience stores, golf courses, beer, wine, and spirit distributors and manufacturers, as well as other Michigan Liquor Control Commission licensees.
The Foster Swift attorneys are committed to providing the highest quality service and care for our clients and their legal matters. We seek clients' input on the level and quality of our services and we continuously strive to improve those services for clients. The attorneys maintain a high degree of accessibility that clients need and expect from their legal counsel.
Publications & Alerts
- Local Government Authority to Regulate Liquor Licenses, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, November 27, 2013
- Part Of Liquor Law Struck Down - Stripping Municipalities Of A Voice In A Dance Permit Applications, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, January 2013
- Liquor Commission Makes Changes To The Liquor License Application Process, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, September 2012
- Change In Municipal Approval Process For Liquor Commission Requests, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, April 2012
- New Liquor Sale Rules Go Into Effect, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, December 2010
- Smoking Ban, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits E-News, April 20, 2010
- WEBINAR | What Every Municipality Needs to Know about Liquor Licensing, Foster Swift, April 22, 2015
- Liquor Control Updates, Macomb Michigan Townships Association Chapter, February 20, 2015
- Hamameh Elected to SBM Board of Commissioners, July 3, 2018
- Attorney Russell Appointed as Litigation Practice Group Co-Leader, January 29, 2018