Alicia Birach is a member of the Employer Services Practice Group and works out of the firm's Southfield office. She has extensive experience representing insurance carriers, third party administrators and employers against workers' compensation claims. Additionally, she is experienced in counseling employers on labor and employment issues.
Alicia started her professional career in the accounting realm. Prior to her tenure at Foster Swift, she worked in transfer pricing at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Detroit and was also involved with Tax Services at KPMG in Detroit. While still in school, she completed internships with the Serious Fraud Office in London, England and the Internal Audit Department at Central Michigan University.
Alicia completed her undergraduate studies at Central Michigan University with a Bachelor of Science in business administration, focusing on accounting. She received her Juris Doctorate from Wayne State University Law School, where she was a winning member of the Moot Court Team and won the Arthur Neef Competition argued before the Michigan Supreme Court.
Honors & Recognitions
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star," Workers' Compensation, 2016-2020
2017 "Up and Coming Lawyer", Michigan Lawyers Weekly
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Workers' Compensation Section
- Oakland County Bar Association
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog
- Deputy Director of LEO Issues New Emergency Rule Affecting Workers’ Compensation
- Are Death Benefits Owed When an Employee Dies after Contracting the Coronavirus?
Michigan Workers' Comp Defense Blog
- Impact of COVID on Michigan’s Workers’ Comp Law
- COVID-19: Is It An Occupational Disease or Personal Injury – And Does It Really Even Matter?
- COVID-19 Related Paid Leave Tax Credits Extended Into 2021
- Appeals Court Rejects Comp Benefits in ‘Special Mission’ Case
- Recent Michigan Supreme Court Decision Affects Workers' Comp COVID-19 Rebuttable Presumption
- Updated Protections for COVID-19 Response Employees: The Differences Between the Prior Emergency Rules and Recent Executive Orders
- Impact of Executive Orders on Reduction and Termination of Benefits
- Is an Employee Injured before December 19, 2011 Obligated to look for Work?
- Impact of Executive Orders on Reduction and Termination of Benefits, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, April 2, 2020
- Updates to Workers' Compensation Issues Raised by Coronavirus and New Emergency Rules for "First Responders", Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update E-blast, April 2, 2020
- Michigan's Emergency Rules Give Personal Injury Presumption to "First Response Employees" with COVID-19, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update E-blast, March 30, 2020
- Is an Employee Injured before December 19, 2011 Obligated to look for Work?, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, February 23, 2020
- Can Michigan Employers Terminate Employees Who Lawfully Use Medical Marijuana?, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits News, January 25, 2018
- Limiting Opioid use in Workers' Compensation Cases, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, November 17, 2016
News & Events
- Impact of COVID on Michigan's Workers' Compensation Law, Foster Swift 2nd Wednesday Morning Break, April 14, 2021
- Coronavirus Impact on Michigan Workers' Compensation, RIMS Detroit Chapter, April 16, 2020
- Responding to Workplace Violence: Workers' Compensation, October 25, 2018
- Responding to Workplace Violence: Workers' Compensation, Foster Swift, October 17, 2018
- Basics of determining termination of employees that lawfully use medical marijuana, Stop Before You Crash: Workers' Compensation and Employment Law, March 22, 2017
- Impact of COVID on Michigan’s Workers’ Comp Law, Foster Swift Employer Services E-blast, April 6, 2021
- Workers' Compensation Issues in the Media, Business Insurance and Work Comp Central, October 9, 2020
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Birach Voted into SBM Section, June 22, 2020
- Workers’ Comp Defense Blog Provides Michigan Case and Legislative Updates, April 13, 2020
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018