Ryan Lamb is a member of the firm's Business and Tax Practice Group, where he primarily practices business and tax law, immigration, real estate, estate planning, and franchise services. Ryan possesses unique expertise in franchise law where he assists franchisors with registration throughout the U.S. and the development and maintenance of their franchise distribution systems.
In the area of immigration law, Ryan advises and represents domestic and foreign clients in both business and personal immigration matters, providing services to domestic corporations, employers of foreign national employees, executives, institutions of higher education and individuals. He is a frequent speaker on this topic, having presented seminars to trade organizations and employer groups including Employer Compliance and Sanctions in Immigration: Who can I hire and how do I satisfy reporting requirements in a time of heightened enforcement?
Ryan also represents a variety of businesses in ownership, general operation, contracts and tax matters, with particular expertise in the creation and representation of condominium developments and their corresponding associations. In addition, he counsels individuals wishing to utilize gift leveraging techniques, family limited partnerships and family limited liability companies in meeting their estate planning goals.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Business & Taxation Section, Past Chairman
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Business Network International, Holland I Chapter, Past President
- Lakeshore Leadership Association, Past President
- Deerview Estates Condominium Association, Past President
- Represented numerous buyers and sellers in asset or stock acquisitions ranging from $200,000 to $10 million
- Drafting and implementation of a wide variety of business contracts, including non-compete agreements, e-commerce transactions, software development agreements, manufacturer’s representative agreements, distributor agreements, and supply agreements.
- Successfully obtained immigration benefits for individuals previously denied at service, trial, and appellate levels.
- Represented seller in sale of more than $20 million real estate complex, including partial charitable gifts and partial 1031 exchange of proceeds.
- Coordination, planning and implementation of numerous mixed use, multi-phase condominium development projects with shared resources and amenities.
- Coordination, planning and implementation of private utility companies for residential developments.
- Successfully obtained immigration benefits for individuals previously denied at service, trial and appellate levels.
- Represented numerous buyers, sellers, and owners of Lake Michigan waterfront property in acquisitions, sales and construction transactions as well as in use and riparian authorizations and disputes.
- Represented family LLCs as owners of family cottages and waterfront property, including all related succession planning aspects.
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog
- The E Visa - Benefiting International Companies and Investors, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, October 31, 2016
- Addressing Labor Shortages With Temporary Agricultural Workers, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, February 29, 2016
- I-9 Compliance – 2015 Updates & Planning Items, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, September 30, 2015
- I-9 Compliance – 2014 Updates & Planning Items, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, January 16, 2014
- Estate Tax Trusts – Don’t Disinherit a Surviving Spouse!, July 2013
- New Agricultural Guestworker Act Proposed in House, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, June 2013
News & Events
- Ryan Lamb to Speak at Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, November 19, 2015
- Legal Considerations of Succession Planning, December 8, 2016
- Utilizing MSU's International Student Talent to Further Your International Business Ventures, Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, November 19, 2015
- I-9 Compliance, Michigan Agri-Business Association, January 2014
- International Student Entrepreneurship:Immigration Options, Michigan State University Explore Entrepreneurship Program (International Student Forum: Introduction to Issues, Opportunities & Resources), February 24, 2012
- Practical Steps to Acquiring International Interns & New Hires, Global Business Club of Mid-Michigan, January 25, 2012
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1999
Michigan State University, B.A., Finance, 1996
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan