A member of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Chuck concentrates his law practice almost exclusively in environmental and First Amendment and media law matters. His clients include municipalities, companies and individuals as he assists them with:
- Environmental Law: Litigation; air, water, waste, natural resource permitting and approval; air, water, soil, ground water, surface water, natural resource, right to know regulatory compliance, negotiation of contracts, insurance, review of due diligence for transactions, investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites, sewer authorities, and recycling.
- First Amendment and Media Law: Libel litigation; Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and issues, Open Meetings Act issues, subpoenas, news gathering issues, courtroom access issues and access to court record issues.
- General Litigation and Appellate Work: Insurance defense, commercial litigation, defense of claims brought by United States and State units and defense of municipalities.
Chuck is a frequent author on environmental and first amendment issues and was recognized as an outstanding writer early in his professional career when he was articles editor for the Indiana Law Review. Chuck has authored numerous articles of interest for legal and trade publications throughout Michigan.
He has always been involved with professional and community affairs. He has served as section chair for the Environmental Law Section of the Michigan State Bar, is very active in the American Inns of Court at Michigan State University College of Law and is serving for a second stint on the Ingham County Bar Association Board of Directors and has been elected as Board secretary.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 1993-2020 (Environmental Law; First Amendment Law; Natural Resources Law; Litigation - Environmental; Litigation - First Amendment)
Best Lawyers® 2014, 2016 Environmental Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Michigan Super Lawyers Environmental, 2005-2018
2004 Boss of the Year, National Association of Legal Secretaries - Lansing Chapter
Memberships & Affiliations
- Litigation Counsel of America, fellow
- Defense Research Institute
- American Inns of Court, MSU College of Law, Special Master
- State Bar of Michigan, Environmental Law Section
- Council member, 2000-2006
- Secretary-treasurer, 2006-2007
- Chair elect, 2007-2008
- Chair, 2008-2009
- Michigan State Bar Foundation fellow
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Current Board Treasurer
- Past Board Director, Secretary
- Past Member, Negligence Committee
- Past Chairman, Environmental Law Section
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Water Environment Federation
- Michigan Oil and Gas Association, Environmental Affairs Committee, Past Member
- Peoples Church, East Lansing
- Boy Scouts of America, Troop 125, Okemos, Past Scoutmaster, 2003-2008
- DePauw University Alumni Board, Member of Admissions Committee, 2012-present
- Represented manufacturer in the defense against a subrogation claim and prosecution of a separate counterclaim relating to a fire resulting in nearly $100 million in damages.
- Assisted trade organization in drafting and offering testimony on beneficial use reform legislation.
- Assisted a development company in acquiring a 600,000 square foot building and nearby properties that was later used for new manufacturing. Assisted in minimizing the liability for environmental issues, securing Brownfield reimbursement for environmental expenses and carrying out corrective action activities.
- Provided counsel to a public authority in acquisition of additional sewer capacity and participated in expansion of existing sewer facility that cost more than $100 million. Negotiated related agreements.
- Successfully argued in Michigan Supreme Court that residents surrounding former solvent distribution business could not bring property damage claims merely because they lived in the vicinity of the business unless their properties were actually contaminated.
- Obtained directed verdict in a libel suit against a news columnist who reported about a local service firm that charged excessive fees. Successfully defended appeal.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Announces Change to CAFO Permits Which Restricts Use of Manure Received from CAFOs, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, July 17, 2015
- Legislature Passes Significant Changes to Environmental Remediation Statute, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, February 16, 2015
- Michigan Court of Appeals holds owner and operator of an underground storage tank liable, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, September 10, 2014
- Michigan Legislature Introduces Beneficial Use Reforms, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, April 25, 2014
- House Bills Proposed to Amend Solid Waste Act and Promote Beneficial Use of Materials, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, April 22, 2014
- Updates to Michigan’s Clean Corporate Citizen Program, Foster Swift Environmental Law Update, February 7, 2013
News & Events
- Environmental Compliance Essentials, Michigan Manufacturers Association, November 20, 2014
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- Charles E. Barbieri Awarded the Leo A. Farhat Outstanding Attorney Award, December 8, 2015
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 1980, cum laude
DePauw University, B.A., 1977, magna cum laude
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court