Allison Collins is a member of the General Litigation Practice Group and is the current leader of the firm's Agri-Business Practice Group. She has extensive experience in environmental litigation in both state and federal courts. Allison's practice also includes agricultural law, insurance coverage and insurance defense. Representing clients at all phases of litigation, Allison handles a wide range of complex environmental, commercial and insurance litigation matters on behalf of municipalities, schools, companies and individuals. This includes:
- Environmental Litigation: Water, soil, natural resources permitting, regulatory compliance, contract negotiation, due diligence, investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites and administrative proceedings.
- Insurance Coverage: legal analysis and coverage opinions related to commercial general liability policies, umbrella/excess policies and commercial property policies related to claims for construction defects, personal injury, property damage, toxic tort and environmental coverage.
- Administrative Litigation: Appeals determinations by USDA, FSA, and National Resource Conservation Services (NRCS). In addition, represents clients in bid protest to United States Government Accountability Office (USGAO).
- General Litigation and Appellate Work: Insurance defense, employment litigation, premises liability, civil rights actions, and commercial litigation, including appeals before various state courts, federal courts, and administrative bodies.
Allison grew up in an agricultural community in California, and her dedication to agriculture has continued in Michigan as an active member of Foster Swift's Agri-Business Group. Because of her knowledge of both environmental and agricultural law she has been tapped to serve as the co-editor of the Michigan Environmental Law Journal for the State Bar of Michigan.
Allison received the E.W. Kitner Scholarship to attend Indiana University Maurer School of Law-Bloomington, where she obtained her J.D. and was awarded deans honors. While attending law school, Allison acquired a great deal of practical experience through her work at Indiana University Student Legal Services. Allison served as a Certified Legal Intern and represented students in bringing and defending claims in a variety of legal areas, including landlord-tenant issues, contracts, invasions of privacy and criminal matters.
Honors & Recognitions
"Top 5 Under 35" Award, Ingham County Bar Association, 2019
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star," Insurance Coverage, 2018-2020
Michigan Super Lawyers 2017 (Insurance Coverage)
Best Lawyers in America© 2021 "One to Watch" (Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Litigation – Environmental)
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Environmental Law Section - Co-editor Michigan Environmental Law (2018-)
- Agricultural Law Section
- Council Member
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section
- Michigan State University Inns of Court
- Michigan Agricultural Law Updates, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 13, 2021
- Dead Pigs Win in the Michigan Court of Appeals, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, May 11, 2021
- Pollutant Discharges to Groundwater May Fall Within the Clean Water Act, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, June 10, 2020
- Nurseries and Garden Stores Permitted to Resume Activities With Conditions Under Executive Order 2020-59, Foster Swift Legal Update E-blast, April 24, 2020
- Governor's Executive Order Provides Exemption for Michigan Agriculture, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News E-blast, March 24, 2020
- March 15 Deadline: What Michigan Farmers Need to Know About Crop Insurance, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 24, 2020
News & Events
- Environmental Issues in Government Construction, Construction Law for Public Projects Seminar: HalfMoon Education Inc., November 13, 2019
- Foster Swift Elects Six Shareholders in 2021, January 13, 2021
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Ones to Watch", August 20, 2020
- Collins and Smith Named to SBM Ag Law Council, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 4, 2019
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- Foster Swift Announces Women in Leadership, Michigan Business Network, June 5, 2019
- Collins, DeLuca Named to ICBA's Top 5 under 35 Attorneys, Lansing Regional Chamber, March 22, 2019
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2014
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2011, History and Criminology
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals