Scott Mandel is a shareholder and a trial attorney who has tried approximately 100 cases in state and federal courts and before agencies, including the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Financial and Insurance Services, and Bureau of Health Services. Scott's practice concentrates on Business Litigation, Employment Discrimination Defense, Personal Injury Litigation, Insurance Company Insolvency Proceedings and Licensing and Regulation of Health Care Professionals. Much of Scott’s practice concerns complex litigation, including representation of governmental entities and large corporations. Scott has also tried many arbitration cases and has served as an arbitrator.
Scott is recognized for his skill in Best Lawyers® in America for Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law; in American Lawyer for top Commercial Litigation Lawyers; and Michigan SuperLawyers for Business Litigation. In March of 2017 he received the Excellence in Defense Award from the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel. In 2018, he was inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Trial Lawyers.
He is admitted to practice before all Michigan State and Federal Courts, the Sixth Circuit, United States Supreme Court and the Federal Trade Commission. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association of Western Michigan; the American Bar Association, where he served on the Public Regulation Insurance Committee of the Tort Insurance Practice Group; and the State Bar of Michigan, where he has served on the Insurance Law Committee; the State Trial Courts Committee; and serves on the Membership Services Committee.
Additionally, Scott served as president of the Ingham County Bar Association and was on the board of the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel. He also served on the Steering Committee for the Hillman Advocacy Program and as a member of the Tri-County Pro Bono Project Board of Directors.
He is also the immediate past president of Congregation Shaarey Zedek and is on the board of the Riverwalk Theatre.
He regularly speaks to legal and professional organizations including the Society of Certified Insurance Counselors, the Michigan Insurance Federation, and the Ingham County Bar Association.
An alumnus of Michigan State University and an active member of MSU’s Mid-Michigan Alumni Association, Scott graduated with high honors and was inducted into the honor societies of Phi Kappa Phi and Beta Gamma Sigma before completing his legal education and juris doctorate, cum laude, from Wayne State University in 1981.
Honors & Recognitions
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Excellence in Defense Award, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, 2017
Theodore Swift Civility Award, Ingham County Bar Association, 2009
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers® 2019 Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2017 Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2017 Insurance Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers in America® 2006-2020 (Commercial Litigation; Bet-the-Company Litigation; Insurance Law; Litigation - Antitrust)
Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Insurance Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2013-2019
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Ingham County Bar Association, President 2011-2012, Board of Directors 2009-present
Industry & Professional Associations:
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association
News & Events
- Drafting Subpoenas and Expert Testimony, NALS of Lansing Winter Warm Up Seminar, March 6, 2015
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- Scott Mandel Admitted to American College of Trial Lawyers, October 3, 2018
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- Six Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2019 "Lawyer of the Year", August 15, 2018
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reverses and Remands for Entry of Summary Disposition in Favor of Defendant School District Employee Based on Gross Negligence, May 15, 2018
Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1981, cum laude
Michigan State University, B.A., 1978, with high honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court