Julie is a member of the Health Care and Employee Benefits practice groups. She approaches each client with a business-minded approach and guides them in the right direction. She works out of the Grand Rapids and Holland offices. Specifically, she focuses her practice on:
Health Care Law
- Advising healthcare providers on a wide range of regulatory issues, including compliance with the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, HIPAA, and Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
- Structuring and reviewing physician compensation arrangements to ensure compliance with relevant law.
- Facilitating health care facility mergers and acquisitions.
- Handling Medicare and Medicaid appeals.
Employee Benefits Law
- Assisting with the design and implementation of qualified retirement and welfare benefit plans to ensure compliance with ERISA and relevant IRS requirements.
- Assisting sponsors of group health plans on compliance with health care reform, COBRA, HIPAA and other relevant laws.
- Facilitating employee benefit plan corrections.
- Assisting with plan administrative functions, including preparation of QDROs, distribution materials and nondiscrimination testing.
After earning her undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame in mathematics, Julie earned a full tuition scholarship to Saint Louis University School of Law. While in law school, Julie served as the managing editor of the Saint Louis University Law Journal, completed a judicial externship with Judge Raymond W. Gruender of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and interned with the United States Attorney's Office in St. Louis. Julie graduated summa cum laude, earning 10 academic excellence awards for the highest overall ranking in 10 courses.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Care Law Section,
- New Lawyers and Law Students Committee
- Health Care Law Section,
Industry & Professional Associations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Benefits Council
- Girls on the Run of Kent and Muskegon Counties, Board Member
- Junior League of Grand Rapids, Community Impact Committee
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- Michigan Marijuana Retailers: Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Risks
- Cybersecurity Concerns in Health Care
Health Care Law Blog
- Federal District Court Vacates New Association Health Plan Rules
- CMS Ends Home Health Agency Moratorium in Michigan
- CMS Approves the Repeal and Replacement of the Michigan Health Insurance Claims Assessment (“HICA”) Tax
- U.S. Department of Labor Issues New Rules Concerning Association Health Plans
- Skilled Nursing Facility and Hospice Contracts – Prime Time to Update
- Update on the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Proposed Rules for Licensing Health Facilities and Agencies
- Updates to the Confidentiality of Substance Use Disorder Patient Records Regulations
Michigan Labor & Employment Law Blog
- New Policy Makes it Easier for Municipalities to Terminate Participation in MERS Defined Benefit Plan, February 2019 Municipal Law News E-blast, February 27, 2019
- Proposed IRS Regulations Clarify New Rules Relating to Hardship Distributions, November 2018 Business & Tax Law News, November 20, 2018
- New Hardship Distribution Rules Take Effect in 2019, October 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News, October 5, 2018
- As Public Pension Plan Funding Continues to Decline, Employers Explore Other Options, May 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News E-blast, May 30, 2018
- Lawyers, Clients Await Direction On ACA Changes - Practitioners Tout Evolving Health Law Practice Area, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, February 27, 2017
- Protecting the Hospital Tax Exemption Part IV: Billing and Collection Requirements, Foster Swift Health Care Law News, April 23, 2015
News & Events
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Associates, December 1, 2014
Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2014, summa cum laude
University of Notre Dame, B.S., 2010, cum laude, Mathematics
Bar and Court Admissions